Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would someone choose a Polestar 2 over a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's comments; she isn't a fan. She thinks its better than Prius/Bolt styling electric cars.

"eh. Looks like a Honda" She thinks Honda's and Toyota's styling is very boring
"It's not as ugly as the Volvo SUV that I saw the other day (with a puking emoji)"
"Looks like Dodge taillights just flipped over."
"Will they have their own chargers?"

The Polestar 2 is not a bad car, but why would someone choose that over a Model 3? Especially since it won't be available until 2020?

The Polestar 2 is a Google-powered all-electric Tesla competitor - The Verge

I think anyone who’s waited several months for parts after an accident might well look toward a car company that has figured out how to supply parts efficiently. Right now Tesla is an incomplete company, they can design and build cars but they have big gaps in their support of those cars. I love my Tesla. If it ever needs a repair that entails several months of awaiting parts, I’ll bail on Tesla. I like my car, I like what Elon has done, I like being on the cutting edge, but I’m not stupid.

I think anyone who’s waited several months for parts after an accident might well look toward a car company that has figured out how to supply parts efficiently. Right now Tesla is an incomplete company, they can design and build cars but they have big gaps in their support of those cars. I love my Tesla. If it ever needs a repair that entails several months of awaiting parts, I’ll bail on Tesla. I like my car, I like what Elon has done, I like being on the cutting edge, but I’m not stupid.
That's a fair point, but my question is just comparing car to car and not Volvo to Tesla as companies.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that. To be honest, I did not look at what the P2 would be available in. But besides from the $2500 option for red, none of the colors Tesla offers are "exciting" either. I had to get mine wrapped to make it exciting and differentiate from the pack. Closest I would have gotten was the blue, but it was too dark (almost black from a distance) and for an additional $1500, I chose to put that towards a wrap instead.

Totally fair, but I never said Tesla didn't suffer from the same issue ;) I'm simply saying the offering of various shades between black and white here is extra boring.

Out of curiosity though, got a link to some photos of your wrap? Definitely looks sharp!

Something I just caught while finally watching the reveal presentation. In the US, it'll be sold in...

(give your best guess)

(don't guess all Volvo dealers)

California only! Compliance car for now.

upload_2019-2-27_14-55-49.png

I agree with you to some extent. My co-worker was hit in his CRV and it took him around 7 weeks to get his car back. Still faster than Tesla but not lighting speed like you would have thought.

That's a fair point, but my question is just comparing car to car and not Volvo to Tesla as companies.

Then you still have to acknowledge that brand competency is a huge part of the purchasing decision. I know many people who would not consider a Tesla for no other reason than that they are a relatively new company and are 'untested' in their view.

When people bring their car to a Tesla SC for a minor issue and the car needs to be there for a week, or the car is involved in a minor collision and it takes weeks or months to get the parts this does not look favorable for Tesla, at all.

What Tesla has going for it is that they are at the forefront on the technology piece, especially in the area of drive-train and batteries/BMS and my view is that their lead there is at least 2-3 years ahead of others.

In most other areas they are lagging. I've been driving/buying cars now for close to 30 years and have owned many makes of cars. Tesla takes the cake when it comes to lackluster service that sometimes borders on incompetent.

My car has several issues that haven't been addressed because I'm not comfortable bringing my car in, leaving it with Tesla for 1+ weeks while it sits on their lot and then finding out they can't do anything about it. I have never had a bad taste in my mouth when buying a $62,000 luxury product but it comes pretty close with Tesla and my limited interactions with them.

To get better phone media/integration support.
Of the items on that list I buy this one the most. As much as Tesla gets right, it has a lot of room for improvement on this particular front.

Myself, I'm uneasy about "being the product" so generally make an effort to avoid using Google but clearly there are a lot of people that don't share that same hangup.

Reactions: Scott7
Totally fair, but I never said Tesla didn't suffer from the same issue ;) I'm simply saying the offering of various shades between black and white here is extra boring.

Out of curiosity though, got a link to some photos of your wrap? Definitely looks sharp!

Not yet, just the avatar photo. Waiting to get my aftermarket wheels plus a slight drop before doing so.

Reactions: Brokinarrow
I would choose it over tesla if there was a charging network. AWD on base models, 400+ HP etc. My wifes volvo feels allot more classy than my tesla, and is also quieter even though it's super charged and turbo charged. It's hard to remember it costs so much less than my performance 3 as I drive down the road rattling like crazy. Tesla can't even make door panels flush, or get painting cars right...

Her XC60 has pro-pilot that keeps the lane fine and does not nag you every 15 seconds, a hud, android auto, doesn't rattle like a beater car, much more comfortable interior heated steering wheel, auto wipers that work, auto dimming mirrors that work, adaptive headlights better than the 3's, blind spot detection with indicators on the mirrors, 360 parking camera, it can show you a playlist of music from your phone over bluetooth etc. It can even read Speed limit signs.

Of course hitting the gas on an XC60 isn't going to launch you into your seat like it does in the 3P.

Last edited:
Most Volvo cars have an adjustable headrest which is a curious omission from Tesla's offering.
Wrong: Most Volvos including my 2017 have fixed headrests just like Tesla does.

Volvo seats including mine are very good. But our Tesla Model 3 seats are just as comfortable. I congratulation Volvo for introducing this model (sometime in 2020) and I will be interested to replace our gas Volvo because this is a 5-door hatchback. It will compete with the likes of the BMW 4 series GT. The more EV's the better.

Wrong: Most Volvos including my 2017 have fixed headrests just like Tesla does.

Volvo seats including mine are very good. But our Tesla Model 3 seats are just as comfortable. I congratulation Volvo for introducing this model (sometime in 2020) and I will be interested to replace our gas Volvo because this is a 5-door hatchback. It will compete with the likes of the BMW 4 series GT. The more EV's the better.
My wifes 2018 XC60 has adaptive LED headlights better than the 3's (they turn when you steer), seats are also much more comfortable. Adaptive headlights is an option you can add. So yea most volvos including all those made before 2017 probably didn't have them. Most volvos made today probably don't have them either since it's another option you have to add, just like the 360 camera.