TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wifi vs 4G for SW Updates?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Thax, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Thax

Thax Member

When I park the MX in my garage, it gets around 300-400 Kbps from the 4G. I tried connecting to my home WiFi but it only gets slightly better speeds 400-500Kbps.

I've read that when you get the "Software Update Available" notification, the car has already finished downloading the update. Does anyone know if it downloads when it is parked, and gets interrupted while driving?

I'm trying to figure out if it is even worth figuring out how to upgrade my wifi in the garage if the car will be downloading updates while we're out and about.

Thanks.

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I've had software notifications pop up after being out all day and after the car sat in the garage for days (both on and off WiFi). I honestly don't think it's going to make a difference, one way or the other. The delay isn't because your connection is too slow, the delay is because your car has to wait for its turn.

I've never seen any concrete evidence that cars on WiFi get offered updates before those on cellular.

3. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

The car might download on and off wifi depending on when mothership selects it.

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

The whole wifi thing could be selection/confirmation bias... for those that have wifi, it's home more often, and on wifi, so it seems that it gets the download on wifi more 'often'. Just an idea... You would really need two cars, one not on wifi, one always in the garage, and then know that they had the same priority from the mothership (which is impossible). :D

5. Thax

Thax Member

Thanks everyone. I'll just let it stay on 4G then :)

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

In these modern times, I would expect that the vehicle could download in blocks and if interrupted, would continue where it left off when it returns to the garage.

7. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

I haven't gotten any update since 17.28....looks like we've had many updates since and are on 17.35....only time I ever get an update notification is when I take my car to the SC and it comes back updated.

Any suggestions on if theres something wrong?

8. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Unless you have some serious bug fixed in one of these versions, just don't worry, you don't really miss anything at this point.