Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will California and West see Storm Watch in the next few days (2022-12-29)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SW only comes on with Red Flag type warnings. I always raise my reserve to 100% in advance of storms. Riding through an outage right now. Power went out last night at around midnight. PWs went down to about 85% until sun came up. At 91% now with solar going to the house and PWs.
The power is till out. Going on 15 hours of no grid. House is back on since the sun came up and the solar kicked in. No Internet either so I can't manage my gateway. I've connected to it using the TEG-xxx wifi but I can't change things like reserve limit, etc. I'm going to change my reserve to 100% once Internet comes back and I can connect the app. Multiple trees and power lines down so I think it's still going to be a while. Ugh. Last I checked, my PWs were currently at 50% and charging by the sun. Hope I can get a lot more before it gets dark.

If you have Charge from Grid enabled just toggle it on. I usually leave SW off because it often charges during peak. I usually wait to turn it on during Off Peak if I think its probable.

I think it would be good for Tesla to broadcast the SW alert, regardless of your setting. This way you could toggle it on when you felt it was the best time. Also lets you know the powers that be think a bit power interruption event is possible.
I just noticed that setting. I'm going to turn it on. Not going to do much good since the grid is still out. Going on 15 hours now.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
power finally back. 14 hour outage. SW on and high wind warning for tonight
Get ready for this:

hrrr_ref_frzn_wus_fh7-24.gif

Reactions: BGbreeder
My power went off a little after 1 am this morning. I got up around 1:30 to check the app to see if the grid was still up because the winds were so strong. When I checked the app it showed my house still running off the grid. One thing that didn't make sense but I didn't think much about it at the time was that the home usage was 0.4 kW/hour but my spa was running. I went back to bed and when I got up my I've noticed that my Powerwalls were down to 79% and I had a message at 1:13 am from Tesla that the grid was down and my Powerwalls were powering my home. My internet was also having problems. I suspect what happened is that the Tesla app was showing cached information because my internet was down. I've noticed before that the app gives stale information if you don't do a refresh. If I had known the grid was down I would have shut off my spa and heat pump. Just something to be aware of. My power was just restored.

My power went off a little after 1 am this morning. I got up around 1:30 to check the app to see if the grid was still up because the winds were so strong. When I checked the app it showed my house still running off the grid. One thing that didn't make sense but I didn't think much about it at the time was that the home usage was 0.4 kW/hour but my spa was running. I went back to bed and when I got up my I've noticed that my Powerwalls were down to 79% and I had a message at 1:13 am from Tesla that the grid was down and my Powerwalls were powering my home. My internet was also having problems. I suspect what happened is that the Tesla app was showing cached information because my internet was down. I've noticed before that the app gives stale information if you don't do a refresh. If I had known the grid was down I would have shut off my spa and heat pump. Just something to be aware of. My power was just restored.
When I was talking to support yesterday, they gave me an input about folks who call and say there batteries drained. But they swear they were not using anything in the house. But guess what, they had an electric spa and it was running pulling LOTS of suds. Another example was an on demand water heater that was set to max and pulled 11kwh when on.
So, as I am now playing with my system to simulate power outages, finding things that I had never thought about. And so many folks have NO idea what is running in their homes, and how much power they take, until they drain their batteries, call support, and complain its a tesla issue. :)

Reactions: charlesj
When I was talking to support yesterday, they gave me an input about folks who call and say there batteries drained. But they swear they were not using anything in the house. But guess what, they had an electric spa and it was running pulling LOTS of suds. Another example was an on demand water heater that was set to max and pulled 11kwh when on.
So, as I am now playing with my system to simulate power outages, finding things that I had never thought about. And so many folks have NO idea what is running in their homes, and how much power they take, until they drain their batteries, call support, and complain its a tesla issue. :)

That's curious. I mean to me one of the coolest things about having any Tesla Energy stuff (or similar products) was getting real-time power / energy statistics via the mobile app, API, whatever and being able to figure out what's going on in the house. I guess not everybody is as much of a data geek as (some of) us here? :cool:

EDIT: To kinda stay on topic, we've had Storm Watch going on and off at various (mostly appropriate) times over the past week or so. No outages here (yet) but I feel like we're ready for them. One difference between this situation and say PSPS events in the past is that now, if we have a long outage, our batteries won't get significantly refilled by solar (due to cloud cover).

Bruce.

Due to lack of solar I have been thinking about ways to shed load in case there is a long outage. I have a small generator that I can run some loads on during the day and thinking about buying a larger inverter that I can plug into my Model Y to offload the PWs a bit. If only there was a way I could link up my cars battery to the PWs if ever needed.

I have seen it take a minute or so to refresh even when there was an internet connection when brought up for the first time. Same symptoms.

Reactions: bmah and RKCRLR
I can see changes on house usage on the home page of iPhone app pretty quick after I turn on a toaster or micro to test, way less than a minute, perhaps 10 seconds. Maybe next time I will use a stopwatch to time it, just for kicks. :D
With the conditions we are in now though, especially when power is iffy, time to notice may be different.

I can see changes on house usage on the home page of iPhone app pretty quick after I turn on a toaster or micro to test, way less than a minute, perhaps 10 seconds. Maybe next time I will use a stopwatch to time it, just for kicks. :D
With the conditions we are in now though, especially when power is iffy, time to notice may be different.
If the app is on and active it's near instantaneous for me. My delay is only if the app was not loaded.

Reactions: charlesj
Power is out here and due to our location, we might be off for a few days. Sometimes it takes almost a week to restore things.

Currently at 93% charge and PV is trickling in at 0.7 kW. The house load is 5-600W and my wife and I both put on long sleeves to reduce our space heating needs. It will be interesting to see how we fare if this is an extended outage.

My neighbors driveway is half washed away, as the flash floods washed over the culvers the previous homeowner installed. Erosion swiftly followed and will likely get worse before the week is over.

I am thankful for Starlink, at least we have internet to go with our power, and its not dependent on someone elses backup battery.