Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have both a Model S and a Model X:

Is the measurements in the wiki accurate in terms of the vehicle width and length?

Reason for asking is that my model s only barely fits through my garage opening and the measurements for the X seems to be pushing the limits a bit too far for my comfort.

Sort of hoping it doesnt fit;)

Does anyone know how much space is needed beside the X to open up the FWD's? Our single car garage is 110" wide inside. Not sure if that's enough space to have the FWD's open up enough to be useful.

I have production res #10 in Canada ... kinda of hoping I get invited to configure soon, but I need some time so I can try to park a real X in our garage before committing.

Any thoughts (or experience from an X owner) would be really helpful. It's essentially the same question as "how close can I park to a wall and still use the front and FWD?"

Does anyone know how much space is needed beside the X to open up the FWD's? Our single car garage is 110" wide inside. Not sure if that's enough space to have the FWD's open up enough to be useful.

I have production res #10 in Canada ... kinda of hoping I get invited to configure soon, but I need some time so I can try to park a real X in our garage before committing.

Any thoughts (or experience from an X owner) would be really helpful. It's essentially the same question as "how close can I park to a wall and still use the front and FWD?"

There is a measurement of a maximum extension of 18" from the front door panel. The width of the MX is listed at 78.1". To have both doors openable, assuming no side or overhead obstructions (a perfect environment), you would need approximately 114.1" to fully open/extend the doors.

While i think the doors would open in your 110" wide garage, I get the feeling that they'd have to stop pretty low if you were wanting to open both. The other option would be parking closer to one side and having rear passengers exit on the single side.

The information you seek may be hidden in the Tesla Model X manual. Here is a peek of my touchscreen. Sorry for the overlap, read the last page carefully for the remaining bit of data.

Don't ask me about the skis, I don't have a clue. Please don't request additional info, I don't have the time!

And above all, please don't copy and paste my screen shots here. The data may be incorrect! Just look at the originals so this thread will remain clean. Those screens look terrible with those lines from the camera.

Dimensions | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enjoy arguing about the Wiki data if it is different!

Last edited:
The information you seek may be hidden in the Tesla Model X manual. Here is a peek of my touchscreen. Sorry for the overlap, read the last page carefully for the remaining bit of data.

Don't ask me about the skis, I don't have a clue. Please don't request additional info, I don't have the time!

And above all, please don't copy and paste my screen shots here. The data may be incorrect! Just look at the originals so this thread will remain clean. Those screens look terrible with those lines from the camera.

Thanks for that MarkZ!

Alas, I must spread some rep points around before giving you more! Drats! ;-)

Basically even with the mirrors "folded" the mirrors still stick out pretty far. The body of the vehicle is considerably narrower than the mirrors even when the mirrors are folded in. Thanks for the screen shots.

Don't ask me about the skis, I don't have a clue.

Clearly, as Musk is a big James Bond car fan, it is a yet-to-be-revealed feature on every Model X:

aston-martin-v8-volante-the-living-daylight_James-Bond_Timothy-Dalton.jpg

On a side note, I couldn't help but point out an overarching theme here - almost every Model X owner has a ladder in their garage! Speaks to the hands on nature of this cohort. I'll be sure to get my ladder in the frame when taking my garage pic :cool:

@Ohmman...I'll try tonight.
The drivers door did a good job sensing surrounding objects and stopping appropriately (with me ready to manually stop if necessary)
I wanted to make sure I can manually stop the fwd manually before I took that step...was too busy playing with all the other cool features

@Ohmman....OK I did the test....interesting results

I had my garage door closed....and the door opened completely..... even with very little side clearance
It opened more slowly than in an open area because of the proximity sensing...but it opened fully....

With my garage door open, the door only partially opened..One could still access the back seats but you'd need to be a contortionist
I think the combination of close proximity to the sidewall and the low overhead did not allow it to open fully...but it did not hit anything
pushing the side button closed the door safely. Perhaps if I moved the car to the center of the garage it would open fully....

One lesson implied from this test...
I need to put in an interlock to ensure I never close my garage door while the fwd's or open or there is a good possibility of some unwanted interaction : )
Glad I did this test to see what has the potential of occurring...

GD Closed.png
GD Open.png

Attachments

• GD Closed.jpg
    GD Closed.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 157
  • GD Open.jpg
    GD Open.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
vangogh, thanks so very much for the photos and details. I mentioned this here in this thread, or perhaps in another one, but you can also toy with the sensitivity on your opener to make sure that it reverses at even the slightest obstruction. Usually a screw-type adjustment on the back. You can also put in another set of infrared eyes like your door has at the bottom, but make the beam across the space where the doors will break it if open. I believe you'll have to wire them in series with your existing eyes, but I'm not sure. Either way, I think those two things will protect you just fine.

Last(ish) question - what is your overhead clearance in that garage with and without the garage door open? Thanks again.

@Ohmman...made some quick measurements....

88" Floor to open garage door (Does not include mechanism to open the garage - car may need to be centered in the garage to allow both doors to open fully)
103" Floor to ceiling
18" Car door to "wall"
7" Floor to bottom of car molding (suspension setting not clear when X is in park)

Hope this helps....

Thanks again, vangogh. Very useful post.

So in vangogh's example the door wouldn't open with a 88" overhead obstruction (door), but upthread we know that Cosmacelf's doors opened with a 90" overhead obstruction (door). There are some confounding factors, such as the tight side clearance in vangogh's photo. But it's possible this is a critical range of overhead clearance.