Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will non performance AWD ever get power upgrade option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually think the fact they discontinued the P3D- makes it more likely they might offer this someday.

Though more likely will be a much smaller, but free, uncorking like the S got, across all the 3s, when other car makers products make it necessary (BMW for example- the 2019 M340xi will do 0-60 in 4.2... so I could see them uncorking the AWD 3 to do 4.1 (though it's already damn close at 4.2-4.3 if were more honest and reported the times the same way they do on P models)

I missed this, the P3D is still configurable on the website...

Nope.

The + package is automatically added now (20" wheels, summer tires, .39" lower suspension, different brakes, and track mode), no option to get it without that stuff.

Thus if they offered a power-only unlock on the AWD (since it's all just software anyway- drive units are identical) it wouldn't be directly stealing sales from new Ps

I would be interested in paying for this upgrade. Stealth non P! Has anyone asked Elon for this? Sounds like only software unlock... They would need to price it just right so that new customers will still go for P.
But still get us non P owners to fork up some cash. Post sale Off menu purchase.

It’s possible. I spoke to a Tesla tech working on my car and he assured that the Performance is a software unlock on a non P. If Tesla wanted to, this is 100% possible.

Interesting, considering most references point to the AWD getting a lower output rear motor, though knowing Tesla, it would be a lot easier to believe that all Model 3's have the same rear powertrain, and that the AWD is capped at a lower output to differentiate between the P.

Would I pay for a software unlock? Maybe if I took it to the tracks once in a while, but otherwise, I doubt it -- I can't even full-throttle the non-P AWD without going unnecessarily fast. Unlocking range would be a different discussion, though I know that's not in the cards. :)

EPA numbers:
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and Performance versions get official EPA ratings

Technically the performance software is just an ota upgrade, but I also recall reading that they do extra burn in and testing on the motors that go into the PAWD. This makes sense since they would want to use the better performing/more reliable motors on the PAWD.

For this reason I believe the software upgrade would never be applied to a normal AWD... Not worth the risk of reducing the motor lifetime.

Interesting, considering most references point to the AWD getting a lower output rear motor, though knowing Tesla, it would be a lot easier to believe that all Model 3's have the same rear powertrain, and that the AWD is capped at a lower output to differentiate between the P.

All model 3s so far have gotten exactly the same motors so far based on PNs from actual built cars.... RWD, AWD, P, even MR, same rear drive unit.... AWD and P same front unit.

P is entirely software (apart from the brake/suspension/wheel stuff on the P+)

Reactions: Stellavator
If the Model 3 doesn't have the power to roast the tires from a stop, it's almost certainly because Tesla is nerfing the output in software. It's not a function of the motor type.
Any "nerfing" Tesla is doing is to deal with some of the downsides of using a permanent magnet motor (cogging, torque ripple, counter EMF). Some of this is explained in this video.
If you have any technical data to counter this I would love to hear it.