Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will post-delivery FSD option go away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Haha.
I guess the main difference here is many paid for a specific feature that just got pulled from the site. It'll be an interesting week ahead, that's for sure.
You mean like people who paid for this $25K option:
P85Doptionhp.png

or this $2,500 option (though for a while it was a part of $4,500 tech package bundle)?

tesla-AP1-summon.png

You mean like people who paid for this $25K option:
View attachment 345124
or this $2,500 option (though for a while it was a part of $4,500 tech package bundle)?

View attachment 345123
Good examples. I'm not completely versed in the HP debacle but I do believe there should be some sort of compensation for under-rated performance models. Though it would probably require the courts to do something. Just like the AP2.0 "late to the party" lawsuit. Everyone get ~$80-230 and sign away your rights to sue in the future.

On a side note, I would love if my 2017MS would turn on climate control to match my calendar sync! That would be saweeeet!

I've had smart climate on for 18 months and it never does anything. Working a 9-5 M-F job. Maybe my car is just a slow learner like me!

Smart pre-conditioning works for me about 10% of the time, but the main issue with mine is that I rarely put work events in my calendar so there is no way for it to know about it. Additionally, I don't go to and from work anywhere near the same time everyday so it cannot learn that pattern.

I think it's a financially based decision. It seems EAP is possible with AP2 hardware but FSD will need the AP3 upgrade they are working on. So for those of us who purchased FSD already, we get a free hardware upgrade which will cost Tesla quite a bit. I would think they want to not let the number of these cars stack up in the hundreds of thousands that need free upgrades. Cars selling now with AP2.5 can buy EAP but not grandfathered into free hardware for FSD. My guess is this:

1) Once AP3 hardware is standard on new deliveries, the FSD price will be higher
2) Folks who already paid for FSD will get a free upgrade but the line will be long
3) Folks who have AP2 or AP2.5 that have not paid for FSD but purchased their car when FSD offered as upgrade will only pay that price.
4) Folks who are building cars with AP2.5 now (when FSD is not offered) will pay a lot more to upgrade later.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02 and whitex
I think it's a financially based decision. It seems EAP is possible with AP2 hardware but FSD will need the AP3 upgrade they are working on. So for those of us who purchased FSD already, we get a free hardware upgrade which will cost Tesla quite a bit. I would think they want to not let the number of these cars stack up in the hundreds of thousands that need free upgrades. Cars selling now with AP2.5 can buy EAP but not grandfathered into free hardware for FSD. My guess is this:

1) Once AP3 hardware is standard on new deliveries, the FSD price will be higher
2) Folks who already paid for FSD will get a free upgrade but the line will be long
3) Folks who have AP2 or AP2.5 that have not paid for FSD but purchased their car when FSD offered as upgrade will only pay that price.
4) Folks who are building cars with AP2.5 now (when FSD is not offered) will pay a lot more to upgrade later.

I actually tweeted Elon about this and asked "will the early HW2 owners who pre-purchased FSD when ordering, now some of us over two years ago, be given HW3 upgrades before it starts showing up in cars off the assembly line?" Radio silence...crickets chirping...dead zone....

In all fairness, we really should have our cars upgraded before new cars start showing up with it.

• Love
Reactions: croman
I actually tweeted Elon about this and asked "will the early HW2 owners who pre-purchased FSD when ordering, now some of us over two years ago, be given HW3 upgrades before it starts showing up in cars off the assembly line?" Radio silence...crickets chirping...dead zone....

In all fairness, we really should have our cars upgraded before new cars start showing up with it.

You know they will prioritize new customers over old. That's the only consistent thing with Tesla.

I also bought the FSD option… but no need to hurry. I take the new hardware in 2022 :D I mean, the version after the version that comes after HW3 :D Tesla is actual 3 or nearby 4 years too late with M3 in Europa, so why not waiting for FSD for another 6 years? I bought my Model S to keep it at least 12 - 15 years. So... many changes will come :D

Thanks for asking him about that, since that was my first thought when I saw his tweet. It should be a relatively simple logistics problem to handle current customer retrofits (how many cars per service center would require it, how much volume can each service center (and associated mobile rangers) handle per period of time, etc), but Tesla is still struggling with logistics so who knows. I wouldn't bet against croman's answer being correct at this point, though.

Yup sad but hopefully they actually ordered a bunch of boards and can swap everyone in half hour service center appointments. Hell I'll do it myself if Tesla sends me my board.
In my last attempt to remove the trim on the glovebox I gave up after popping a few clips. I felt like I’d break something easily and won’t have the parts to replace.

It seems EAP is possible with AP2 hardware

This remains to be seen. My experience with V9 so far is that they were completely right to pull Drive on Nav from the release -- the thing is still dangerous with respect to lane changes and especially merging lanes, even though that was supposed to be fixed in V9. EAP requires Drive on Nav with ULC in order to implement On-Ramp to Off-Ramp. (And they haven't even started on Smart Summon yet.) So I think there is still a non-trivial chance that EAP will require HW3.

Everybody throws around this "they'll upgrade you for free if you need it" thing, but what would that mean for Tesla if EAP needs HW3? That would be very bad news. By the time HW3 is available, they will I expect have a minimum of 200k cars with HW2/2.5 (mostly 2.5 by then thanks to the Model 3) and EAP, probably more since HW3 will probably be delayed and the Model 3 is selling like hotcakes. If the HW3 swap (including labor and associated costs) weighs in at $1.5k, that comes to a whopping $300 million. Even if you say HW3 only costs $500 you're still at $100M. And probably it will be more than 200k cars so more than that.

You can bet Tesla will fight like hell to not do that. This probably means EAP owners on HW2(.5) will get screwed with a hobbled version of On-Ramp to Off-Ramp that requires you to confirm every lane change and only works at best 80% of the time, which means it will be easier to just do it yourself. Unless they make it work properly on HW2 of course. I'm just saying that actual experience suggests that this is doubtful. I mean, when has Tesla ever fully delivered on an Autopilot promise?

This remains to be seen. My experience with V9 so far is that they were completely right to pull Drive on Nav from the release -- the thing is still dangerous with respect to lane changes and especially merging lanes, even though that was supposed to be fixed in V9. EAP requires Drive on Nav with ULC in order to implement On-Ramp to Off-Ramp. (And they haven't even started on Smart Summon yet.) So I think there is still a non-trivial chance that EAP will require HW3.

Everybody throws around this "they'll upgrade you for free if you need it" thing, but what would that mean for Tesla if EAP needs HW3? That would be very bad news. By the time HW3 is available, they will I expect have a minimum of 200k cars with HW2/2.5 (mostly 2.5 by then thanks to the Model 3) and EAP, probably more since HW3 will probably be delayed and the Model 3 is selling like hotcakes. If the HW3 swap (including labor and associated costs) weighs in at $1.5k, that comes to a whopping $300 million. Even if you say HW3 only costs $500 you're still at $100M. And probably it will be more than 200k cars so more than that.

You can bet Tesla will fight like hell to not do that. This probably means EAP owners on HW2(.5) will get screwed with a hobbled version of On-Ramp to Off-Ramp that requires you to confirm every lane change and only works at best 80% of the time, which means it will be easier to just do it yourself. Unless they make it work properly on HW2 of course. I'm just saying that actual experience suggests that this is doubtful. I mean, when has Tesla ever fully delivered on an Autopilot promise?
Yea with all the talks that FSD being imminent I am doubtful simply based on their past track record. They still can’t make enhanced autopilot work smoothly, after 2 full years. It’s just reached AP1 parity at best.

They’ve been digging a hole and it’s getting deeper every quarter. It’s time to close it up.

Yea with all the talks that FSD being imminent I am doubtful simply based on their past track record. They still can’t make enhanced autopilot work smoothly, after 2 full years. It’s just reached AP1 parity at best.

They’ve been digging a hole and it’s getting deeper every quarter. It’s time to close it up.

Well, their hole got a little bigger, as I just ordered it!
I did my part, hopefully Tesla does theirs :)

Reactions: dark cloud
Probably not. With that class action lawsuit, anyone who didn't opt in to get a $200 refund out of the original $4000 or $5000 or whatever it was probably will get nothing, and like it.
Still consistent with that I say - "otherwise compensate" just means giving customers up to $230 each. They can't keep selling it because it would open then to new liabilities. The truth is, AP2 cars will never fully self drive as Tesla described it, so maybe the lawyers finally forced Elon to stop selling it.

Last edited: