Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will RWD go extinct too?

Will RWD be gone in Model S in the future?

• Yes, very likely.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • No, not likely.

Votes: 59 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know 60, 70, 85, 90 (I hear very few indeed exists as 90 non-D).

90, 100 don't have RWD option.

Model X has had D's only. I don't recall any RWD in Model X.

Now that 60 is gone, the only available Model S without D is 75.

Model 3 is coming soon and I have a feeling that entire Model S will be Dual Motors to keep the production simple.

Probably Model 3's will have RWD for good.

How many think that RWD will also go extinct?

I really have no need for AWD. Sure it's more efficient but only slightly.

I'm assuming that's why they offer only offer the S100 with AWD. If you get that model then you're most likely getting it for Max range. Might as well get the dual motors for Max efficiency.

If you're getting the S75 because you don't need the extra range then the extra $ for AWD might not be worth it to some people. However, some will need AWD for winter driving, so AWD is offered as an option.

At some point it may be more cost effective and efficient to only offer one motor layout option (AWD) at a price point that is similar to the current RWD models. Subaru only offers AWD vehicles and their prices are certainly competitive with similar models from other companies that are FWD or RWD only.

Even with RWD cars now the frunk is half the size it used to be... I know because I got one and was dissapointed when I popped the hood the first time. I guess in my head I was expecting HW1 RWD sized. It was not.

I've been told the reason why the frunk is smaller on the RWD facelifted cars is that There used to be 2 different chassis (RWD AWD) but when they did the facelift they decided to consolidate everything into the AWD chassis to save development costs since a minority of sales were RWD. That's why the frunk is small, even though there's no motor there.

I've been told the reason why the frunk is smaller on the RWD facelifted cars is that There used to be 2 different chassis (RWD AWD) but when they did the facelift they decided to consolidate everything into the AWD chassis to save development costs since a minority of sales were RWD. That's why the frunk is small, even though there's no motor there.
It is where the 12V battery is now

I really have no need for AWD. Sure it's more efficient but only slightly.

I'm assuming that's why they offer only offer the S100 with AWD. If you get that model then you're most likely getting it for Max range. Might as well get the dual motors for Max efficiency.

If you're getting the S75 because you don't need the extra range then the extra $ for AWD might not be worth it to some people. However, some will need AWD for winter driving, so AWD is offered as an option.
There is a huge difference in efficiency between the RWD vs AWD in the Model S