Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla be introducing CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We still seem to be going in the wrong direction on development of the navigation software, by the recent addition of yet another vendor providing data. For navigation we now have - routing software provided by Navigon/Garmin, road/navigation map provided by Navigon/Garmin (and is approaching two years old), speed limit data provided by TomTom (which is missing or incorrect in many areas around us), street/satellite maps displayed on the console from Google (using up-to-date online data), real-time traffic data provided by Google (though we still don't get any notification of upcoming traffic restrictions, other than an automatic rerouting), and navigation user interface provided by Tesla.

With components from so many sources and vendors, it's not surprising how limiting the navigation software is - and why we still don't have basic features like waypoints and route customization (the ability to select among several routing options, such as for fastest or shortest route).

Tesla has added the Trip Planner feature (which appears to be a user interface change, not requiring any changes to the actual navigation software), which was an improvement - but still not enough to bring the Tesla navigation functionality up to the level we've had in previous Toyota & Lexus cars (over 10 years ago).

If EAP & FSD are going to rely on the navigation software for routing, clearly Tesla has to make some major improvements in the navigation software. Has anyone heard any mention of this?

Routing needs to be on up-to-date and accurate data - it seems likely the only solution that will work is a shift towards routing using a cloud server, rather than relying on providing up-to-date data distributed to every car. There would still need to be an offline navigation system in the car (which could be the current "FrankeNAV" system), to be used if the Internet is not accessible. And, if Tesla really intends to do a cross-country FSD demonstration later this year, they can't preprogram the route like they did with the FSD demo video - so we could hear more about navigation data/software improvements in the next few months (firmware 9.0???).

The media player remains a disappointment, with few actual improvements in the 5 years since the first Model S was produced, and competing vehicles now having much better smartphone integration - Tesla risks falling further behind - and having their infotainment system impact sales when other manufacturers bring competing long range EVs to the market - with better software.

• Helpful
Reactions: BigD0g and TaoJones
Customer: Can your car display text messages on the big ass screen in the middle of the dash?
Tesla: No but for only $399 you can have this lovely miniature screen on your wrist that provides a lot of the features our car should! Just don't forget to charge it every night and if you go with the Samsung model we'll even toss in a free burn-proof wrist protector!

My Volt used to be able to read my text messages to me and display them onscreen. I found the system more distracting than not and ended up turning it off. Mostly because it would take over anything else I was listening to, so when I was included as part of a group texting conversation, I couldn't listen to my radio. So even then I preferred my Pebble over the in-car system.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I am not sure that CarPlay is more important than building more Superchargers or service centers so we can travel the country stress free.....and we already have free internet and free Slacker that will play any song you can think of......and by the way isn't texting while driving a no-no? Come to think of it, all those little Hondas and Toyotas don't have any of this.

My 2018 Odyssey has CarPlay.

Please don't form an opinion if you have never used CarPlay. Comments about it being safer to just keep your eyes on the road reveal you have no idea what is being discussed.

I appreciate the joke about nhtsa, but handsfree operation IS the law in many areas, and is on the radar of the federal regulators. They are hoping the market solves the problem, but once the tech matures, make no mistake, it will be compulsory.

Unless that AP2 hardware starts improving fast, lol.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I have a 2017 Denali with CarPlay and I hate it 85% of the time. Takes over your phone...go to open a text (spare me the righteous indignation) and Siri asks me who do I want to text.

I don't use CarPlay as it does not support Waze. Waze has saved me countless hours.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Something as simple as: "Disconnect the BT audio profile when not listening to BT Audio" would be a big help. Right now, if I'm listening to USB or streaming audio (or nothing at all), all audio alerts on my phone are muted because they're going to the BT audio profile and not the internal phone speaker. So I miss all alerts that aren't phone calls.

Not to mention the 100+ other egregious media player bugs introduced in the last two years. No matter what I try or do, the Tesla insists on auto-playing the last podcast on my phone every time I get into the car.

Very few things in the Tesla Universe are as craptastic as the media player.

Just Drive ....the constant obsessing with the text messages and the phones is unhealthy ....many of you own the best car on the road today....get into the drive ... break free from the smart-phone shackles while driving... it will make you a better person and the rest of us on the road safer.... I really don't see CarPlay as a priority ... as compared to lets say safety, AP, FSD, headlights ,comfort, a spare tire kit, grab bar for passengers, etc.....

• Love
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Just Drive ....the constant obsessing with the text messages and the phones is unhealthy ....many of you own the best car on the road today....get into the drive ... break free from the smart-phone shackles while driving... it will make you a better person and the rest of us on the road safer.... I really don't see CarPlay as a priority ... as compared to lets say safety, AP, FSD, headlights ,comfort, a spare tire kit, grab bar for passengers, etc.....

I've seen this type of answer many times, but, logically, there's no reason that all these concerns cannot be addressed simultaneously. It's NOT as though Tesla has one engineer who can deal with but one problem before going on to the next one.
And we left off lighted vanity mirrors on the sun visors. I believe that even Yugos had illumination there . . . but not Tesla. Model 3 is out the door now, so working 24/7 on that is no longer a valid excuse for letting Model-S bugs and inadequacies languish. C'mon Tesla, let's get the Model S completely into the 21st century if you wish to continue to market it against cars that already are.

self explanatory title. Spare me your explanation of how the focus is Model 3...this should be a 3 month project. It's needed for model 3 launch.
CarPlay or Android Auto is definitely not a "3 month project".
CarPlay takes over the screen for none essential subsystems - you do know there is only one display in the Model3, right?
That display is your speedometer, where you set your AC, where you open the trunk, frunk & charge door, control the seat heater, finds superchargers, etc etc etc none of which is a CarPlay function.
That display is driven by a computer that also runs the essential functions of the car, like TACC and AP2.
I wouldn't want CarPlay or Android Auto anywhere near that thanks and certainly not out of three months worth of development.

• Disagree
Reactions: u00mem9
That display is driven by a computer that also runs the essential functions of the car, like TACC and AP2.
I wouldn't want CarPlay or Android Auto anywhere near that thanks and certainly not out of three months worth of development.
Actually TAAC and AP1/AP2 are not driven by the display processor. To verify this for yourself, just reboot the center display while TACC or AP1/AP2 are active. They continue to work.

Nah...please just fix XM and USB interfaces + usability and I will be happy.

I'll take Tesla's Nav "deficiencies" any day over BMW & Porsche's small screen, out-of-date maps. Only item worth taking from BMW is the ability to "record" off of Sirius, go back and forward and pick up where you left off when interrupted by a call.

Reactions: vdiv and MP3Mike
Actually TAAC and AP1/AP2 are not driven by the display processor. To verify this for yourself, just reboot the center display while TACC or AP1/AP2 are active. They continue to work.
All true - but the while the OP posted in the Model S forum, he seemed to be referencing this as a requirement for the Model 3 that "should be a 3 month project". Model 3 only has one computer and display.

Yep. My BMW had much better phone connectivity and audio quality.

Unfortunately, it's become clear that this is just not a priority for Tesla. I wish that wasn't the case.
They will suffer for it, eventually. Wait for the real competition to arrive. It will be here eventually and I don't know if Tesla will be able to survive the onslaught.

Reactions: u00mem9
Lol at the thread title 'adjustment'. :rolleyes:

I should have included a trigger warning for this safe space.

The Tesla infotainment system is the most advanced in the world, and like the rest of the car, shall not be compared to any other vehicles. If you think it's strange that Hyundai rental cars have systems that effortlessly integrate with your phone and the rest of the interweb, while Tesla continues to talk about mirrors and sdk for the aging system, you need to focus on driving enjoyment!

/s

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
Whether Tesla implements CarPlay, Android Auto, or something else - it's the functionality that's more important, not the particular implementation.

Tesla planned to have an App Store, so 3rd parties could develop software (and not rely 100% on Tesla for onboard apps). CarPlay, AA and other screen mirroring solutions provide this by running the apps on high volume mobile devices and only displaying them on the car's console. And with growing cybersecurity concerns, that's probably safer than allowing 3rd party apps to actually run in one of the car's processors, because no matter how hard Tesla tries, there is also a gap somewhere in the software that could be exploited and provide an opening for hacking our cars.

Until now, Tesla really hasn't had any serious competition. People buying Tesla cars - have bought them because Tesla has had the only long range EV on the market - not because the Model S and X have more features than other cars on the market. With the Bolt, that's starting to change - and will accelerate as other manufacturers start bringing out more competitive long range EVs.

I don't really care how Tesla implements it. If they provide a combination of CarPlay and Android Auto (which other manufacturers are doing) - or if they go a different direction (which would be typical for Tesla). But if they don't do something, they do risk getting so far behind with the onboard software - that once someone else has long range EVs that compete with Tesla cars - the onboard software could have an impact on purchase decisions.

Whether Tesla implements CarPlay, Android Auto, or something else - it's the functionality that's more important, not the particular implementation.

Tesla planned to have an App Store, so 3rd parties could develop software (and not rely 100% on Tesla for onboard apps). CarPlay, AA and other screen mirroring solutions provide this by running the apps on high volume mobile devices and only displaying them on the car's console. And with growing cybersecurity concerns, that's probably safer than allowing 3rd party apps to actually run in one of the car's processors, because no matter how hard Tesla tries, there is also a gap somewhere in the software that could be exploited and provide an opening for hacking our cars.

Until now, Tesla really hasn't had any serious competition. People buying Tesla cars - have bought them because Tesla has had the only long range EV on the market - not because the Model S and X have more features than other cars on the market. With the Bolt, that's starting to change - and will accelerate as other manufacturers start bringing out more competitive long range EVs.

I don't really care how Tesla implements it. If they provide a combination of CarPlay and Android Auto (which other manufacturers are doing) - or if they go a different direction (which would be typical for Tesla). But if they don't do something, they do risk getting so far behind with the onboard software - that once someone else has long range EVs that compete with Tesla cars - the onboard software could have an impact on purchase decisions.

You're exactly right. I wanted a longer range EV with decent performance, there are no other options at the moment so I bought a Tesla. Android Auto/CarPlay can easily just take up the top or bottom half of the vertical 17" screen in the Tesla. The onboard navigation is terrible compared to using google maps nav on my phone. The large center screen has so much potential.