Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Buildup Superchargers to Accommodate Anticipated Demand from Ford, GM, Rivian, and whoever else, Adopting NACS circa 2024/2025?

Will Tesla Be Able to Match Supply with Demand in terms of Superchargers in 2024/2025?

• NOPE → Tesla will not be able to meet demand and the SC network buildout will continue as normal.

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • NOPE → Tesla will not be able to meet demand even if they accelerate the SC network buildout.

Votes: 36 7.8%
  • SKEPTICAL → Tesla may be able to meet demand and the SC network buildout will continue as normal.

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • SKEPTICAL → Tesla may be able to meet demand but requires accelerating the SC network buildout.

Votes: 85 18.4%
  • OPTIMISTIC → Good chance Tesla will be able to meet demand with the normal SC network buildout.

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • OPTIMISTIC → Good chance Tesla will be able to meet demand but requires accelerating SCs buildouts.

Votes: 108 23.4%
  • YUP → Tesla will meet demand without needing to accelerate building out the SC network.

Votes: 30 6.5%
  • YUP →Tesla will meet demand but requires them accelerating the buildout of the SC network.

Votes: 94 20.3%
  • Nope, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skeptical, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Optimistic, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yup, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Requires"?
Yes, the NEVI funding requires 4 stalls be installed every ~50 miles on the major highways they identified. (Exceptions can be granted if there isn't a good spot to do that, but they are few and far between. (Like if it is literally in the middle of nowhere, or the utility says that there is not enough power, 600kW, available.)

I have only seen one exception request granted, and have seen a couple exception requests denied.)

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Yes, the NEVI funding requires 4 stalls be installed every ~50 miles on the major highways they identified. (Exceptions can be granted if there isn't a good spot to do that, but they are few and far between. (Like if it is literally in the middle of nowhere, or the utility says that there is not enough power, 600kW, available.)

I have only seen one exception request granted, and have seen a couple exception requests denied.)
Cant force anyone to build any chargers anywhere is the point. This is only IF someone decides to build chargers and apply for funding.

Cant force anyone to build any chargers anywhere is the point. This is only IF someone decides to build chargers and apply for funding.
Wrong. If the state takes NEVI funding, which they all have, they are required to build chargers, or contract with someone else to do so, every ~50 miles on the identified highways. (Every state has already submitted their plans to the federal government for which city/area each charger will be installed to meet the requirements.)

State built chargers? Government owned and built chargers? Where can I find these?

Reactions: bruce4000
"The charging station is being installed at the Pilot Travel Center at 417 Route 315 in Pittston, as part of Pilot Company’s collaboration with General Motors. The cost of construction is supported by $610,393 in NEVI funds. Pilot Company will own the charging station, working with EVgo to deploy the chargers as part of its eXtend service. "

Interesting that the State is the passthrough of funds looks like.

"The charging station is being installed at the Pilot Travel Center at 417 Route 315 in Pittston, as part of Pilot Company’s collaboration with General Motors. The cost of construction is supported by $610,393 in NEVI funds. Pilot Company will own the charging station, working with EVgo to deploy the chargers as part of its eXtend service. "

Interesting that the State is the passthrough of funds looks like.
That is how they have all implemented it. (At least from what I have seen.) They do have the option of installing, and maintaining, the chargers themselves but I haven't seen any choose to do that, which is probably a very good choice on their part. (I really don't want the state installing/maintaining the chargers, and then having to monitor, and penalize, themselves when downtime exceeds the requirements.)

I wonder why states keep choosing other vendors if Tesla is able to provide more chargers for 3x less money.
At least one state has a condition that no single provider can get more than 25% of the total contracts. In that state they gave Tesla 25%. (I think Tesla is getting a little more by having some other parties bid and then sub-contract for Tesla to do the actual work.)

Reactions: CarbonPear
I wonder why states keep choosing other vendors if Tesla is able to provide more chargers for 3x less money.
Oftentimes government contracts have clauses that provide caps and/or require diversity when it comes to funding these types of initiatives - so they don't encourage monopolistic behavior and/or favor any one provider - regardless of whether that provider has the most reliable and least expensive solution. Your tax dollars at work! :D

Interesting... I wonder if the 97% uptime clause is fulfilled by 350kw chargers derated (perhaps something crazy like 31kw) for months on end as long as they're not fully inoperable. If so, that doesn't bode well for the non-Tesla groups since we have former president with EVgo and Electrify America - who are installing the same kind of equipment they usually install at these sites.

It's been because Nissan (and very few others use the CHAdeMO connector and SAE decided that the CCS connector would be the US standard.
And that Tesla was proprietary.
It also didn't seem as if Tesla wanted to put up with the state's BS. (You have to do as I say. You have to put in these locations, even if rarely used, but Senator Tom lives near there)

But since the NACS standard has been accepted, the rules have changed.

But there's a lot of government not really caring who 95% of the market is.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
I wonder if the 97% uptime clause is fulfilled by 350kw chargers derated (perhaps something crazy like 31kw) for months on end as long as they're not fully inoperable.
I don't think that would qualify as up. But there is a lot better equipment available now than there was 2 years ago. (The CCS chargers in Europe don't have near the problems that CCS chargers here have. Though that is mainly down to one company, EA, that just procures crappy everything, especially cables and cable cooling equipment.)

Reactions: CarbonPear
Interesting... I wonder if the 97% uptime clause is fulfilled by 350kw chargers derated (perhaps something crazy like 31kw) for months on end as long as they're not fully inoperable.
I wonder how the uptime requirement is monitored/enforced at all. If not in compliance, do they get fined (slap on the wrist)? And how is compliance measured--self reported by the providers themselves?

Nice to have the clause in there, but I'm not sure if it has any real teeth.

Reactions: KevinT3141 and KJD
I wonder how the uptime requirement is monitored/enforced at all. If not in compliance, do they get fined (slap on the wrist)? And how is compliance measured--self reported by the providers themselves?

Nice to have the clause in there, but I'm not sure if it has any real teeth.
I think that each state makes their own rules in regards to uptime. I haven't dug into the details.