Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the hi amp charger be available for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the northwest USA private associations have installed loads of high-amp L2 stations (90A) and destination charging programs HPWCs are a great backup. It makes a significant difference to charge @ 50mi/h vs 30, imo.

Another use case: For example sometimes I travel to our farm, 150mi where we have a 100A circuit available for charging and then travel back shortly after being there only for 2-3 hs.

I agree w the perception that some features may be left only for Model S+X, but given the mass market appeal and the lack of "patience" non-early-adopters will have, i would max out the charging choices so people can pay for what otherwise may be a source of anxiety at purchase time.

You can thank your shitty premier for that. My god he is an idiot!

Tesla has shown NO interest in expanding the huge black hole of Supercharger coverage in Saskatchewan. Their 2017 map shows them building ONE in Winnipeg. This still leaves a huge black hole between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, and Winnipeg to Regina.

My pet hypothesis is Elon Musk spent a summer working at his cousin's farm outside of Swift Current, SK, and he hated it.

Tesla also has shown no interesting in building out the network in the Maritimes.

Tesla treats Canada with scarcely concealed contempt.

I may be just be bitter, but Canada is probably the worst country in the industrialized world when it comes to EV infrastructure. Nobody private or public has shown any interest in building out the fast charging infrastructure in the areas where there aren't any already. We're to beholden to big oil to upset them by making EVs easy to buy and drive.

• Love
Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
I think the fact that the bigger charger is no longer offered for lower-end Model S/X (75/90) starting from 4/17, and is standard on the 100 kWh batteries, coupled with Elon's comments that Model S would always be superior to Model 3, suggests that the high-amp charger is not coming to Model 3 at this time. Having it available on the high-end Model 3 and not available on the low-end Model S (that is expected to be pricier or around the same price as high-end Model 3) would make the Model S look bad...

Plans can and do change, of course.

IMO, not offering the high-amp charger as an option on low-end Model S/X is silly. But I guess with all the other simplifications (equally unfortunate as they are), they needed some ways to differentiate the high-end...

They might make it optional (possibly only on the bigger pack), but let's take a step back here for a moment.

Are you planning on making frequent, time-constrained stops at Level 2 charging stations that can deliver over 12 kW?
Do you plan to drive 200+ miles a day with a need to quickly recharge sometime in the middle?
Are you planning on installing a Wall Connector at home that is set to deliver over 40 amps, out of necessity?

If you answered "no" to all three of those questions, then upgrading to a 72-amp charger will likely not have a significant impact on your charging routine, in practice.

Even in the road-trip scenario, I would imagine that regions that are not currently covered by Superchargers are not likely to have Level 2 charging that deliver more than 12 kW. In general, most public L2 stations top out at 6-7 kW, which is in-line with the fact that most EVs on the market today have on-board chargers in that same range.

Is there another use-case that you're thinking of? If so, can you elaborate?
To be honest that is leaving 8 amps on the table for charging. That is like an additional 2-3 miles an hour, which does add up over time.

Semi off-topic, but not really......

As part of having their hands slapped for DieselGate, VW is now going to invest in charging infrastructure, and it's important to note:

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-the-first-car-company-to-copy-what-tesla-1794397923

"it will establish a network of over 2,500 non-proprietary EV chargers at over 450 station sites.

About 240 charging station sites will be installed outside of California by the conclusion of the first cycle. They’ll be located along high-traffic areas outside of cities (including big, cross-country thoroughfares). Each location will also include between four and ten 150kW and 320 kW individual DC fast chargers.

On average, the sites will be 66 miles apart but with no more than 120 miles. It will be designed to work with EVs with shorter ranges.

On top of that, 300 community-based charging stations will also be installed outside of California retail places, apartment complexes, municipal lots and garages and workplaces. These will be in metropolitan areas like Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Miami, New York City, Philadelphia, Portland, Raleigh, Seattle and DC. There will be a mix of chargers from 50 kW to 150 kW."

Between this initiative, other level 2 charging, supercharging, and the ability to charge at home, it's probably not going to be a problem soon.

Given @ModelNforNerd 's comment, I think a far bigger question than hi-amp charger is: Will Model 3 sport a CCS connector or will Tesla come out with a CCS adapter...

Personally, I want all charging options available to me, and am in the market for all charger adpaters and ugprades Tesla can make/offer. That extra peace of mind is priceless and still much needed much of the time...

Given @ModelNforNerd 's comment, I think a far bigger question than hi-amp charger is: Will Model 3 sport a CCS connector or will Tesla come out with a CCS adapter...

Personally, I want all charging options available to me, and am in the market for all charger adpaters and ugprades Tesla can make/offer. That extra peace of mind is priceless and still much needed much of the time...

CCS isn't THAT popular here in the US, however, it is what VW uses. Maybe Tesla will finally come out with a CCS adapter if other OEMs are getting serious about building out charging options.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
CCS isn't THAT popular here in the US, however, it is what VW uses. Maybe Tesla will finally come out with a CCS adapter if other OEMs are getting serious about building out charging options.

Yep, I am not really expecting the U.S. Model 3 to have a CCS connector (European Model 3 would be pretty much perfect for it, though), but then if Tesla was thinking about embracing CCS, starting to do that around the Model 3 launch certainly could/would make sense.

And there is that larger charge port door in the Model 3, judging by images...

Just something to keep a bit of an open mind for. Probably in vain. :)

And there is that larger charge port door in the Model 3, judging by images...

From a design standpoint, the charge door won't be the problem, since whatever you're plugged into will be adapted to a Tesla plug and plugged into the vehicle....it's how bulky and cumbersome a CCS charger would be with a Tesla adapter snapped onto it.

Probably a risk for the clumsier among us to scratch our cars up.

o_O

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
From a design standpoint, the charge door won't be the problem, since whatever you're plugged into will be adapted to a Tesla plug and plugged into the vehicle....it's how bulky and cumbersome a CCS charger would be with a Tesla adapter snapped onto it.

Probably a risk for the clumsier among us to scratch our cars up.

o_O

I guess the speculated point has been - if Tesla were to put in a CCS connector on the car end.

In the U.S. and Tesla connector markets this probably would force two ports: Tesla on one side and CCS on the other. But in Europe, where Type 2 is already the Tesla connector, CCS would only reguire minor mechanical changes size and shape-wise and could be implemented in a single connector that would simultaneously be CCS, Type 2, Supercharger and Mobile Connector compatible.

Of course a CCS adapter might be in the cards for existing cars too, so that may or may not play into this.

Adapter, yes.....I can't see them offering to change the charging port on existing cars though.

They've got enough going on right now.

Yeah, I didn't mean a change to existing cars, I meant changing the charge port on new cars.

Eventually Tesla will be forced into using CCS for Supercharging in Europe. That will require CCS plugs in addition to possible optional connections to current Teslas. They might solve this by putting CCS on new cars and offering a CCS adapter for existing cars - also they could of course consider a two-cable/two-connector Supercharger...

Model 3 could be a great time to launch the next stage in charge connector plans and of course releasing those changes at the same time to Model S/X as well (for new purchases), where the rear light assembly would of course have to be re-designed to accommodate a larger connector inside, but it seems quite possible.

Some further speculation on this:

Speculation - New charging plug?

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Elon's tweet from around the reveal would say otherwise regarding air suspension. I doubt we will see 72 amp charging but as you said, we will see soon. Keeping 72 amp to the higher end S would help to further differentiate the models.

This is correct. The Model 3 will ONLY have a 75 pack, but will travel farther on a single charge due to its lighter weight. With the 75, most people do not need a super quick turnaround time. Tesla needs to simplify options and production to meet their overall goal of sustainable transportation for all. Same reasoning for the glass roof only. Without a roof in the way during assembly the robots can put the interior together more efficiently.

Tesla has shown NO interest in expanding the huge black hole of Supercharger coverage in Saskatchewan. Their 2017 map shows them building ONE in Winnipeg. This still leaves a huge black hole between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, and Winnipeg to Regina.

My pet hypothesis is Elon Musk spent a summer working at his cousin's farm outside of Swift Current, SK, and he hated it.

Tesla also has shown no interesting in building out the network in the Maritimes.

Tesla treats Canada with scarcely concealed contempt.

I may be just be bitter, but Canada is probably the worst country in the industrialized world when it comes to EV infrastructure. Nobody private or public has shown any interest in building out the fast charging infrastructure in the areas where there aren't any already. We're to beholden to big oil to upset them by making EVs easy to buy and drive.
but what about: Elon Musk on Twitter

I think Tesla should put palletized Superchargers in rural areas or arteries that are not served at all.

For example, North Dakota. We've been waiting for years for Superchargers. If Tesla would just deploy around 4 single Supercharges, not permanently installed, the state would be covered well enough for the time being. This could have been done years ago.

I imagine the OP is in the same boat, where just a few single, strategic Superchargers would open up new markets and geographic areas at little cost to Tesla.

The 72/80amp should be an option for the 3 in my opinion. I have 80 amps, makes 2 road trips possible every year that would be ICE. I don't see it as a luxury feature that should be for the high end, it is more of a functional concern.

I hope the 3 will sell well to fleets, couriers, taxi companies, etc. This type of company would probably like to have 72/80amp options at their home base.

Today I noticed that the model S75 will not be available with the hi amp charger any longer.

What does this mean for the model 3? Will the base 48 amp be the only charger available?

I realize that the 72 is only 50% more than the 48, but I don't think anyone would enjoy extra time (hours) at a level 2.

It would really suck for me if they don't have it as an option. I live in a province that only has level 2 charging, currently no supercharger for 700 kilometers around me.

According to Elektrek, only the 100 kWh battery cars will offer 72kW AC charging.
Tesla confirms ‘slight price increases’ for 100D/P100D models next week after decreases for lower-end models today

They may not offer it, but on the other hand they may offer it on the largest battery for the 3 just like the the S. My reasoning is that if you have a need for high-amp charging, then what you really need is a bigger battery. So choosing high amp charging with a smaller battery doesn't make as much sense.