Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S/X have a spare tire & if not, how is that ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 20 years I've never remotely had need of a spare. The few times I've had a tire give, I get towed to the nearest tire shop by my insurance and get it fixed there. A spare is mostly dead weight. There are quite a few cars that don't have spares (my RX8 doesn't). Now, if you live in the middle of nowhere on roads that are prone to creating flats, I can see a serious need, but I'd think most folks near an urban area wouldn't need a spare.

I accept your experience of never needing a spare, however from my own experience of driving 40+ years I have had at least 1/2 dozen flat tires happen to the cars I have owned. I have gotten flats while driving on a long distance trip, 200 feet from my home and to my surprise while parked (slow leak). With a spare, I was able to continue in about 10 minutes. I don't like to have to depend on third parties i.e strangers to get out of a jam and though statistically insignificant in the "need" for a spare based on the mileage I have driven in those 40+ years I would at least like the option to have a spare tire even if it means paying an additional charge for one. Admittedly it is a security blanket of sorts and the peace of mind it provides more than makes up for any weight penalty IMO.

Admittedly it is a security blanket of sorts and the peace of mind it provides more than makes up for any weight penalty IMO.
That's understandable. I suspect your rate of flats isn't atypical. On a numbers/technical level, not having a spare for the 6 (your 1/2 dozen) times in 40 years it mattered is a pretty tiny slice of actual time dealing with it, so when I say you don't "need" a spare, that's what I'm talking about. There aren't many places (in the US) where not having a spare puts you in any real danger. It might be inconvenient though.

On an emotional level, I can completely understand where you're coming from.

If you don't have a spare, then you're likely to be tied up for at least a couple of days while the proper tire is ordered. This happens in the Prius, which has a much more common tire size than the Tesla. However, the Prius has a space saver spare so you can at least limp along. Given that I've had four flats in the last two years, in the last 12 years, I've had twenty or so flats, about five of them being tire destroying (it seems that newer tires have much less puncture resistance than older tires), I really want a spare--even if it's a space saver. And there is no way that I will go on a trip without one. I DO NOT want to have to wait in some motel for two days while a tire is on order during my limited vacation days. Been there, done that.

To address jerry33's concern -- would it be feasible to carry just a spare tire, unmounted? It would fit, I think, but would be stored in the frunk out-of-round. I suppose if you only carried it on longer trips, and left the tire in a corner of the garage at other times, that there shouldn't be an ill-effects on the tire.

For someone who has always had a full sized spare in my car I am very disappointed that Tesla does not even have a spare tire. That being said I have yet to need my spare. And well a LOT of cars do not have spare tires anymore. It is more of an industry movement than a 'bad' decision by Tesla.

Have to look at it from a marketing standpoint as well. You can't advertise industry leading storage all over the place and then stuff a spare tire in one of those spots to reduce it. Like ckessel, I have only needed my spare tire once and that was because I was in my early 20's and was showing off and blew my tire against a parking stop. I don't think that replacing the tires on the Model S will be that hard to do however if you do experience a flat but then again I live in the Bay Area and not in the middle of nowhere. I guess everyone's experience will be different and so each has to lookout for what their situation is.

There is no reason to be tied up for days. Keep an unmounted spare at home.

When you are several hundred miles away from home on the interstate and unfortunately hit the metal belts from part of a blown out tractor trailer tire, the spare in the garage would be nice to have - but unfortunately you are not home. I will somehow see if something fits in the FRUNK.

When you are several hundred miles away from home on the interstate and unfortunately hit the metal belts from part of a blown out tractor trailer tire, the spare in the garage would be nice to have - but unfortunately you are not home. I will somehow see if something fits in the FRUNK.

Good point. I guess a question we need to ask is whether we can purchase an aftermarket smaller sized spare to get you home.

What about the new Self Sealing Tires? Continental makes one called the Conti-Seal, and other manufacturers are making them also. Could be the best of both worlds!! It likely would still not protact you against a catastrophic blowout, but if that happens which is really unusual that is the least of your worries.

What about the new Self Sealing Tires? Continental makes one called the Conti-Seal, and other manufacturers are making them also. Could be the best of both worlds!! It likely would still not protact you against a catastrophic blowout, but if that happens which is really unusual that is the least of your worries.

The problem with self-sealing tires is that you don't know if there has been a puncture. Having inspected thousands of tires, a common injury that I've seen is a nail penetrating the tread close to the sidewall. As the tire rotates, the nail scratches a question-mark shaped cut in the tire eventually cutting through the carcass plies and causing a blow-out. I'd much rather have the slow leak warning me first. Also the goop in those kind of tires prevents a proper inspection after the tire has been damaged.

The goo inside of these tires is heavy and adds additional weight for the vehicle to move along. This will decrease the range of the vehicle significantly.

Now, if you live in the middle of nowhere on roads that are prone to creating flats, I can see a serious need, but I'd think most folks near an urban area wouldn't need a spare.

That's *exactly* what I'm referring to. Honestly I don't need a spare in town. I only need a spare for road trips, which are going through the middle of nowhere on roads which are prone to creating flats.

I'm actually totally OK that the Tesla doesn't come with a spare -- I'd leave it at home 99% of the time -- but I'm not OK that it doesn't come with a good place to PUT a spare, because on the sort of trip where you need it, you need it.

Still no replies on my idea of carrying an unmounted spare tire with you, which seems like the way to solve the "hard to find a replacement" issue.

I've done that. It certainly works better than not having a spare at all. The problem is that the tire can get damaged more easily if it is not mounted. So that tire never gets used except in an emergency, which is kind of a waste (a mounted spare tire can be rotated to get the use out of it).

To address jerry33's concern -- would it be feasible to carry just a spare tire, unmounted? It would fit, I think, but would be stored in the frunk out-of-round. I suppose if you only carried it on longer trips, and left the tire in a corner of the garage at other times, that there shouldn't be an ill-effects on the tire.

This would be satisfactory if it wasn't too damaging to the tire. Tire experts should tell us. I would indeed only carry it on longer trips.

Indeed, my concern is the same as jerry33's -- waiting for a couple of days in the middle of Ohio to get a tire delivered can completely screw up any pleasure or business trip.

but I'm not OK that it doesn't come with a good place to PUT a spare, because on the sort of trip where you need it, you need it.

I agree with that. Also if you remove the liner from the frunk, there might be room. Under the hood is where the DS-21 had the spare (though it didn't have a frunk).

This would be satisfactory if it wasn't too damaging to the tire.

Basically, any tire used this way (loose--not mounted) should be used only as an emergency spare. You really couldn't ever trust it not to have hidden damage. Loose tires aren't particularly strong and even improper shipping from the factory can damage them. After use, a new tire should be purchased and the spare tire removed.

Errata:

Note that there shouldn't be more than about 2-3 mm tread depth difference between tires on the same axle (particularly the drive axle).

Although it's best to replace all four tires at once (exception: cars like the Roadster that have different sized tires front and rear), if you must replace only two tires, put the new ones on the rear.

It's a really good idea to perform a first rotation at about 1600 miles (assumes four tires are purchased). This early rotation gives all four tires a chance to run on the drive axle and set up an even wear pattern. This will increase the life of the tires by reducing the chances of irregular wear later in the tires' life. This first rotation is the most important rotation.