Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S/X have a spare tire & if not, how is that ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI it may be posted above, but I was told the tires are run-flats, that the car came with an air injection refill/sealant, and that "otherwise, there is 24/7 roadside assistance".

That would be the first I've heard of run-flats. If we're depending on the Tesla Rangers for roadside assistance, then those of us far away from a store or service center would be out of luck. My understanding is that the fallback is the sealant/repair kit, which is not terribly comforting.

Yup, I was told during the Dallas Amped drive that Air sealant is the solution for a flat, and that it's not provided by Tesla (which seems unlikely, I think in several EU countries that's illegal, not sure about US though).

I was always told that the sealant will get you out of the immediate problem, but the tire is wrecked after it's filled with sealant...is that still true? Never had to use it, but I have had to use my donut, twice in the past year, on my current car.

Every insurance company has towing for a very modest price ($2-3 per 6 months).

Thanks. I've had USAA for so long I didn't know that.

I'm going to get the sealant I guess since it's not included. Carrying around a spare would be ideal but hopefully only used at most every few years. I can see carrying around a spare for roadtrips though since you're farther away from home and easy towing.

I'm going to get the sealant I guess since it's not included. Carrying around a spare would be ideal but hopefully only used at most every few years. I can see carrying around a spare for roadtrips though since you're farther away from home and easy towing.
That's the way my RX8 works, it came with a can of sealant, but you can buy one for pretty cheap. Never used it. I've always been close enough to civilization I could get the car towed and the flat fixed. Now, if I were driving across the middle of nowhere in sub-zero temperatures, I might be more concerned...

Just be aware that run-flats will reduce range--probably by a significant amount, far more than a spare tire.

I would like to pose the question, since 21 inch tires do reduce range, Do 19 inch run flats reduce the range more than a 21 inch wheel? IMHO I don't see what the hubbub is all about with run flats reducing range. If people pick a wheel for looks and performance that reduce range, why can't someone do the same for safety? I don't see anyone chanting through pages of a thread, it's going to reduce range... Priorities I guess :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I would like to pose the question, since 21 inch tires do reduce range, Do 19 inch run flats reduce the range more than a 21 inch wheel?

My guess, based on what I've seen with run-flat tires, would be yes, they would reduce range more than the 21" performance tire.

IMHO I don't see what the hubbub is all about with run flats reducing range. If people pick a wheel for looks and performance that reduce range, why can't someone do the same for safety?

It's very unusual for a modern car to have a control problem with a flat tire. Heck, most people don't even realize their tire is flat until they've driven so far on it that it disintegrates.

I don't see anyone chanting through pages of a thread, it's going to reduce range... Priorities I guess :rolleyes: :biggrin:

As long as you understand the trade-offs, there's no problem in what you select. To me run-flats are not idea from just about every standpoint you can imagine (range, traction, handling, price, etc.).

My guess, based on what I've seen with run-flat tires, would be yes, they would reduce range more than the 21" performance tire.

It's very unusual for a modern car to have a control problem with a flat tire. Heck, most people don't even realize their tire is flat until they've driven so far on it that it disintegrates.

As long as you understand the trade-offs, there's no problem in what you select. To me run-flats are not idea from just about every standpoint you can imagine (range, traction, handling, price, etc.).

Run Flats aren't ideal, but having a untied down tire shift coudl be a problem. other luxury manufacturers only sell of their cars with run flats (bmw comes to mind) and they are "driving machines". Run flats 5 years ago are horrid in comparison to what's available today in concerns to handling, traction and ride. If I had the option of no spare or run flats, I would choose the run flats (I would try to squeeze a "donut" in the frunk if a full size spare couldn't fit). Now Run flats are at the point where they are getting good reviews from consumer reports, and on tirerack from consumers.

I personally concerned with 21" low profile tires, My friend literally blew out 2 tires (on separate occasions)and had 1 more ready to pop.All four tires had under 15k miles on them. He drives on roads I drive on, so 21" are out for me.

jerry33: To echo ljbad4life's comments, do you have experience w/ modern low-profile run-flats? I would content that the sidewall is already so stiff that the extra reinforcement adds almost no harshness to the ride. Same for traction and handling. I had run-flats on my C6 Corvette (Goodyear and then Firestone) and they worked great for the kind of driving I was doing (daily driving). They handled well, wore well, basically every measure you could have for a tire. The Goodyears were loud but that's related to tread design and not that it was a run-flat. The Firestones were quiet. Yes, run-flats are expensive, but if my wife has a flat tire I'd like her to be able to just drive home instead of being stranded on the side of the freeway during rush hour.

I'm not saying they're for everyone, but they are an option.