Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure she'll forgive you and I do hope in the end that the X will work for her, but if not I'm confident you'll find something else to make her happy if and until Tesla makes some darn uncomfortable, four-star crash rated, flat, folding seats as pictured above. :tongue:

We don't need the completely flat pictured in the Tesla provided photo... we need a way to transport BIG things in one of the family cars. A lot of the arguments here lose the subtleness of what drives decisions. And I'm guilty of this all the time. So no, it's not "it has to fold flat, just like in the picture". It's "we need enough space - and we'll compare it roughly to the space we have in the Sienna". We have removed the second row seats (we have the "captains chairs" for our twins) only three or four times. But the Sienna has a HUGE area behind those two seats and allows really long things to stick forward between the second row seats.
For example we picked up three BILLY bookshelves at IKEA last weekend. No way I could have done this in the Model S, even with the back seat down (and then my daughters would have to walk home from IKEA?). Similarly, we want to be able to have the two rather massive dog crates in the car, with the girls. And some bags. No problem at all in the Sienna. Not sure if that will be possible in the Model X.
OK, I'm babbling. I'm yielding my time.

- - - Updated - - -

And in the picture with the kids, the garage door button wiring should be secured to the ceiling a bit better

Only you would comment on the cable seen in the reflection...

We don't need the completely flat pictured in the Tesla provided photo... we need a way to transport BIG things in one of the family cars. A lot of the arguments here lose the subtleness of what drives decisions. And I'm guilty of this all the time. So no, it's not "it has to fold flat, just like in the picture". It's "we need enough space - and we'll compare it roughly to the space we have in the Sienna". We have removed the second row seats (we have the "captains chairs" for our twins) only three or four times. But the Sienna has a HUGE area behind those two seats and allows really long things to stick forward between the second row seats.
For example we picked up three BILLY bookshelves at IKEA last weekend. No way I could have done this in the Model S, even with the back seat down (and then my daughters would have to walk home from IKEA?). Similarly, we want to be able to have the two rather massive dog crates in the car, with the girls. And some bags. No problem at all in the Sienna. Not sure if that will be possible in the Model X.
OK, I'm babbling. I'm yielding my time.

Could have roof racked the bookcases on the S. Even with the extraordinary weight of IKEA furniture, the roof would not have collapsed. :biggrin:

Fingers crossed that the X will be able to accommodate your family and its often strange, large objects cargo hauling.

I spoke with the Tesla inside sales folks today about my X order and they also me that the second row seats do not fold flat or fold in any way or twist or move in any fashion to become flat. So at least they're being consistent with what they're telling us. They did say that the second row seats "move up close" to the front row of seats but would not (or more likely could not) elaborate beyond that. They also said they had no information on any potentially different second row seat configurations. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will not happen at some point in the future.

But a flat bed up to the back of the pushed forward *second* row of seats is certainly possible if the 3rd row seat bench unfolds forward (instead of simply folding in half) as some folks have speculated. At this point, I'm more intrigued as to how it's going to work and look than I am disappointed in the seats' inability to fold the usual way.

The inside sales folks also said they can't confirm whether there will be a press event on the 29th when the founders get their cars - "there are no events currently on our calendar" - but they said that there was an event for the Model S first deliveries so they suspect something comparable will happen for the first Model X deliveries.

So really nothing new to add, but confirmation of what vandacca (and AnOutsider?) said earlier.

-CB

...But a flat bed up to the back of the pushed forward *second* row of seats is certainly possible if the 3rd row seat bench unfolds forward (instead of simply folding in half) as some folks have speculated...
I will mention to keep the taller trunk profile in mind. In Model S, some tall cargo must be pushed away from the window. Model X could give added inches of volume for higher items. And IF the rear seats remove completely, then additional space would occur.

Just make sure to order the Tow Package to cover the bases and have a way to transport the huge items when absolutely necessary.

I will mention to keep the taller trunk profile in mind. In Model S, some tall cargo must be pushed away from the window. Model X could give added inches of volume for higher items. And IF the rear seats remove completely, then additional space would occur.

Just make sure to order the Tow Package to cover the bases and have a way to transport the huge items when absolutely necessary.

There's no way my wife would tow a trailer :(

Besides the trailer package is more than I spent on a used mini van for the odd occasion I need to pickup really big stuff.

On the plus side, Model S sales will see a boost ;)

I just find it ridiculous and shocking that with deliveries 3 weeks away, we still don't have more information. I can understand Tesla wanting to keep a lid on things 12 months ago, and maybe 6 months ago, so that Audi and others don't steal any good ideas. But at this point the secrecy is irritating and stupid. Show us everything and open the design studio to all.

I just find it ridiculous and shocking that with deliveries 3 weeks away, we still don't have more information. I can understand Tesla wanting to keep a lid on things 12 months ago, and maybe 6 months ago, so that Audi and others don't steal any good ideas. But at this point the secrecy is irritating and stupid. Show us everything and open the design studio to all.
Yeah, except that maybe it isn't being shown to all because not all of the options are finalized (including price) yet? Founders and Sigs are different because the options are limited (most of the cool stuff is included). But for us regular folk, there are going to be a whole lot of options. And some of these options and/or features may not even be revealed yet in the limited version of the Design Studio that the Sig reservation holders are seeing. For example, if the rear windows are electrochromic, Sigs and Founders may get that "free" while it is a charged option for standard production models. It certainly wouldn't be something that the founders and Sig reservation holders would complain about not knowing about in advance of finalizing their order.

There's something to be said for leaving certain elements to surprise.

Didn't you hear that it is better from a business standpoint to not generate demand for the X? Tesla is worried that a buyer of the S might wait.

Nevermind the fact that a buyer of the X5, Cayenne, Q7, GL, Range Rover, Lexus LX, Land cruiser...you get my point...might consider an X if they knew more about it.

Nah, it's just better for the company and its shareholders that they don't release any info until the cars are delivered.

I believe the Design Studio and the production of X are in fact no ready to go public yet.
Tesla deliver a few founders on Sept 29 only because Elon has to keep his word. If they don't do so, many investors may consider it as delay again.

I fly competition precision aerobatics, I reserved the X 3 years ago on the expectation that I would be able to transport my planes, support equipment, suitcases, and, occasionally, wife and her stuff as well to contests throughout the west (CA, OR, AZ at least), with more room to work with than I have in my Prius v.

1dae21071a10a6eeac0239120b896edb.jpg

I don't need 'flat folding' but I do need the second row to get out of the way (remove able or slide up to the back of the front seats) to enable this. I'm not looking to haul stuff from Home Depot, etc. but I do transport my planes *every* weekend (if only to practice) and so cargo is absolutely a requirement for me.

I'll be pretty pissed if I loaned the company 5K (that could have been invested for a 10x return at the same time I made the loan) on the expectation of what they advertised at the time (and reinforced 15 months ago in an e-mail) only to have something with far less cargo length carrying here in production.

Peter+

But a flat bed up to the back of the pushed forward *second* row of seats is certainly possible if the 3rd row seat bench unfolds forward (instead of simply folding in half) as some folks have speculated.

Of course, the third row has to be able to fold flat without impacting the second row as well. That's even a more common scenario (5 seats available with a medium amount of storage, only using 7 seats occasionally). A lot of people have their 7 seat SUVs always that way.