Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind/road noise from doors/windows -- fix it for good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P has been troubled with mostly wind and road noise originating from areas or in ways that don't seem right since I got it 1 year ago. I've been at my local service center 4 times with the issues, and every time they make it worse, so I decided to try and fix it myself.

For the past few months I've spent almost every weekend of free time in a combination of driving trying to locate the issue areas, going back home to fix, going out again in what seems like an almost endless cycle without really great results. It's gotten better for sure, but I still have issues, particularly with the frameless windows and/or A-pillars. Unfortunately I've run out of ideas -- and the ones I've already tried might also not be the best since I lack expertise and go solely by gut feeling.

What I have done so far (basic stuff):

- Mounted extra door seals in all doors (BASENOR Mode 3 Door Seal Kit)
- Mounted frunk and trunk isolation mats from Torque Alliance
- Replaced floor/frunk/trunk mats with 3dmaxspider
- Added rpm tesla wind noise reduction kit

Combined these made a noticeable difference - mostly in reduced road noise, and less dirt on the insides (bonus).

To fix wind noise I've tried fiddling with the window seals. The first thing I noticed was that inner piece didn't seal tight against the windows in several places. This was concluded by sliding a plastic applicator from a vinyl kit between the window and seal:

seal_plastic_thing.jpg

I also found that the outer-most rubber that contacts the window (the part to the right of the plastic tool, under the widow, just before the center glass piece) had gaps in some places so it also didn't make window contact. My logic tells me that this is not right, and that the way to fix it is to either push the windows further inwards or push the seals outwards. I read that windows can be tilted inwards by screws behind the door panels, but I couldn't find any videos on how to do this and decided to try and fix it the other way (this may be a wrong decision?).

I've inserted D-type door seals behind the seal liner itself to push it out (on all 4 windows, this only shows the back):
d_seal_before.jpeg d_seal_after.jpeg

I also added B-type door seals behind the inner flap to push it outwards (sorry the shots are from different sides, hope it's still clear):
b_seal_before.jpeg b_seal_after.jpeg

These changes made a significant difference to the noise coming from the back parts of the windows. What I can't figure out now is where the remaining noise is coming from. There's normal wind noise coming from the windshield of course, but there's also a kind of rustling noise that's especially apparent with strong side winds. It sounds like it's coming from the upper part of the window/seals. However, even though there are some areas here that are not perfectly tight against the window, I'm not sure that's the issue though since the window seals tight against the seal on the top. This is one of the problematic areas due to bulging in the seal:

top_seal.jpg

The upper part of the window seal is much stiffer than the back part, and it doesn't seem possible to insert anything under the seal itself or the (large) inner flap to push it out.

Another potential source of issues could be the triangle pieces next to the side mirrors. It sounds like some wind noise is coming from here as well but I'm not sure how to fix it. The triangles don't seem to be sticking out enough to cause noise, as I've seen on some M3s.

triangle)2.jpeg triangle_1.jpeg

I also tried adding B-type seals to different positions on the inside of the door, to make the door shut tighter against the triangle/plastic piece. This helped a little, but the noise is still not eliminated.

seals_1.jpeg

Any ideas on how to improve here is greatly appreciated.

I hope some kind souls could share ideas for how to fix the remaining noise. If not, then at least I hope you can use my approach above to eliminate some of your own.

My only window noise issue comes from the passenger side door. When I press the window itself the noise becomes super loud like whistling noise and especially when going 200km/h it's very loud and annoying. This does not happen when I press on the driver's side door when driving above 100.
Any tips

Your post is hugely helpful. I too have wind noise from what seems like poor sealing on the window.

I cannot make out how you have applied the D-type and B-type seals from your pictures, can you post some more close-up shots?

My only window noise issue comes from the passenger side door. When I press the window itself the noise becomes super loud like whistling noise and especially when going 200km/h it's very loud and annoying. This does not happen when I press on the driver's side door when driving above 100.
Any tips

There's a way to adjust the window tracks to make the window press harder against the seals. Need to remove inner door panel and speaker to access. I've been meaning to adjust mine, will try to get to it this afternoon or tomorrow and take some pics.

I got my M3P a week ago, the rustling wind noise from just behind right ear from my drivers-side window, is literally the only thing i dont like about the car so far....

EXACTLY what I am experiencing. Had a tech over and he just fiddled with the seal... pulling it out a bit, and it helped some. But @olerass solution seems more durable. I ordered the materials and can't wait to try it

Model 3 & Y Road Noise Reduction Kit -Gen. 2 (10 Pieces 2 Trunks) $45 w/ 20% Off

I just installed this yesterday and can say that my 3 is much more quiet now. Immediately could tell the difference

Dare I say, as quiet as my previous second gen Volt

Thanks for the link. This looks like an interesting kit. Especially the frunk and trunk which is not included in the BASENOR kit I currently have installed. Might give this a go or try putting some similar seals on the frunk/trunk.

You have to know where the noise is coming from. Even if you think it's coming from a certain part, it could be coming from totally different area. My old bmw e92 coupe was making the noise and thought it was the window. But it ended up being the mirror housing gap where the top part meets the bottom. I put a little piece of clear tape that I used for door edge and the noise was gone. My model 3 also has some wind noise here and there so I need to start putting tapes in different areas and see if it helps.. o_O

• Disagree
Reactions: Archer999uk