Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield wipers come on when I go into Cruise Control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue with cc and automatic wiper setting , especially in light snow or drizzle, causing the wipers to go crazy and forcing me to disengage cc so I can use the wipers manually. The usage of salt on the highways in winter is undoubtedly a factor, clouding the camera. Still, this system is inferior to all conventional cars I have ever driven. Tesla needs to find a better solution.

I find the new "auto windshield wiper - when in cruise-control" feature horrible. My 2020 Model Y LR worked fine driving in the rain with cruise-control and me deciding when to use the windshield wipers. Other manufacturers have adaptive cruise-control and they do not require the wipers to be on in some fashion. I've seen many a time when I have just a little bit of road grime from splashes then it fires up the wipers and grinds in that dirt into the windshield. Basically, I can only use cruise-control in fair weather. Tesla - please fix this!

Reactions: MdlYYY
I'm just here to add and vent my frustration with this on my 2018 Model 3

It's one thing to have auto-wipers and auto-high beams when double tapping the stock to engage autopilot, autosteer, or FSD. I don't argue with that because yes, the camera needs to see. But don't force that irritation on me when I only single tap the stock for cruise control. I hate the TACC features too.

I have FSD and recently disabled it because I could no longer simply engage cruise control on our 100 series highways here in Ontario (speed limit of 80km/h). An error message that autopilot was temporarily unavailable because it didn't recognize the path as a highway but a city street.
I just want the stupid thing to maintain a constant speed, nothing else.

Now, with the recent vision-only updates, I can't even use TACC without the wipers frantically dry humping the windshield. It would be one thing if it actually used some fluid to help clean, but no, just a constant screech of dry silicon on the clean glass.

It was bad enough when using TACC that the car would apply the breaks every time there was a flashing yellow light for a deer crossing warning or inactive train crossing. Now add the wipers to this and I don't even use cruise anymore.

For those familiar with the Kano model, this is definitely a reverse feature.

Thanks for listening

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Other manufacturers have adaptive cruise-control and they do not require the wipers to be on in some fashion.
Absolutely not defending Tesla, but in response to this, it is because Tesla has decided an vision only monitoring of traffic (no lidar), so the need for clear vision is even more critical.

Vision-only is a bad move IMO, but wanted to at least provide an to one question.

During my recent trip (4/19/23) my Tesla Y 2023 turned on the windshield wipers after engaging the cruise control while on the freeway. I was unable to turn off the wipers until I turned off the cruise control. I wanted to use my cruise control to avoid going too far over the speed limit but had to turn it off to stop the windshield wipers (crystal clear day). It was very distracting and dangerous.
Does anyone know of anything in the works by Tesla to correct this???

For alarms, you can check the autopilot options and maybe reduce aggressiveness of alerts to your liking.

2022 models are vision only, they need to see well through the cameras for CC/autopilot/fsd to work. They thus use the automatic wiper setting, which sometimes wipes for no reason. Cleaning the windshield, especially where the cameras are at the top, sometimes helps prevent unnecessary wipes.
Didn't work for me in a 2 week old MY LR. I have taken it to TEsla to fix three times so far, still no joy.

During my recent trip (4/19/23) my Tesla Y 2023 turned on the windshield wipers after engaging the cruise control while on the freeway. I was unable to turn off the wipers until I turned off the cruise control. I wanted to use my cruise control to avoid going too far over the speed limit but had to turn it off to stop the windshield wipers (crystal clear day). It was very distracting and dangerous.
Does anyone know of anything in the works by Tesla to correct this???
What I know is that Tesla is not fixing the problem. I have a two week old LR MY. It happens nearly every time I try to engage either TACC or auto pilot. After two service appointments at the service center and one visit by the mobile service team, the problem persists. The windshield and lenses have been thoroughly celaned repeatedly and the wiper blades were replaced. Still the problem persists and I'm planning a long trip (at least a week or ten days) in about three weeks and REALLY need to have this issue fixed by then.

Reactions: Dave EV
What I know is that Tesla is not fixing the problem. I have a two week old LR MY. It happens nearly every time I try to engage either TACC or auto pilot. After two service appointments at the service center and one visit by the mobile service team, the problem persists. The windshield and lenses have been thoroughly celaned repeatedly and the wiper blades were replaced. Still the problem persists and I'm planning a long trip (at least a week or ten days) in about three weeks and REALLY need to have this issue fixed by then.
This is probably one of the worst regressions thus far for Tesla. It’s so distracting trying to shut off the wipers when ACC is activated on a crystal clear day. Dangerous and inconvenient.

Trying to turn off the wipers after disengaging AP is the dangerous part.
Here is something I discovered yesterday.

If you want to turn the wipers off after disengaging AP and don't want to use a voice command or take your hands off the steering wheel, tap the left stalk for a single wipe. This brings up the wiper speed control. Before it disappears, push the left thumbwheel to the left four times (to go from Auto to Off).

I don't know when they introduced this, but I noticed the part I circled below last night.

IMG_5032.jpg

Here is something I discovered yesterday.

If you want to turn the wipers off after disengaging AP and don't want to use a voice command or take your hands off the steering wheel, tap the left stalk for a single wipe. This brings up the wiper speed control. Before it disappears, push the left thumbwheel to the left four times (to go from Auto to Off).

I don't know when they introduced this, but I noticed the part I circled below last night.

View attachment 934989
Nice pro-tip! I think they introduced this on their last update a week or so back.

Agreed, this is insane. I am traveling on I5 right now from SF to Portland and cannot use basic cruise control. Makes me want to go back to my Subaru.

A friend of mine with a M3 went to a service centre (in Canada :)) and complained about the wipers coming on when the windshield was clean and dry. They removed the cover from the windshield camera and cleaned the INSIDE of the windshield in front of the camera lens and he claims that the problem went away.
Cross posting this post from another thread. I had my windshield replaced last week (by Tesla) and have had virtually no false-wipes since then. It might be worth looking into how to do this cleaning.

I had the same problem but there was a bug or some crappy thing like that by my front facing camera. Cleaned that off and washed the windshield and it's all good. I guess I understand why they did it this way but it sure was disconcerting, turning on CC and getting wipers going semi-crazy.

I had the same problem but there was a bug or some crappy thing like that by my front facing camera. Cleaned that off and washed the windshield and it's all good. I guess I understand why they did it this way but it sure was disconcerting, turning on CC and getting wipers going semi-crazy.
Nope: it is still a problem for many. I had a brand new windshield installed and I still get phantom wipes.

This is a serious design flaw

(But before anyone starts crying that it is a "safety" issue: you are wrong.)