Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new owner here (actually not-even-owner yet; I pick up my car in 2 weeks).

I am planning to buy a second set of wheels to run studded snow tires (we get a lot of snow & ice where I live).

My car is a non-Performance dual-motor AWD, long-range/extended battery Model 3.

I've done this on every (ICE) car I've owned, but being new to Teslas, I'm sure there will be some things different about it.

A few "known unknowns":
- How does TPMS work in 3rd-party wheels? Do I buy the TPMS sensors from Tesla, or will generic ones work?
- Does a Tesla service center have to install them? I've always changed over my own summer/winter wheels (and I'm familiar with at least some of the concerns about jacking up a Tesla, given the battery), but is this something I can do myself?
- Can any aftermarket 18" wheels & tires be used, or are there considerations that limit options?

Any and all wisdom for this noob would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: EVSmartParts
1. any tpms sensor †hat is Tesla compatiable should work, it is auto detected by the car and you just choose rim size on the mcu and ¥øu’re Good to go.
2. Xl load rated winter tires are fine — blizzack, Michelin x-ice, nokian happa, pinareli, general .
3. You do not need to have it done by Tesla — the car is heavy, consider a 3 ton jack with a jackpad adaptor as the jackpoints are small and if you jack it incorrectly you could damage your battery

Reactions: EVSmartParts
If you plan to order an extra set of wheels from Tesla, you may want to do that early. I ordered a set of standard rims 3 weeks ago (wheels only, no tires because I don't want the Pirellis they sell as a winter package). After initially being told they would arrive in 1 week, now they are claiming they are "backordered" and they can't tell me when they will be in. Seems odd since they are cranking out thousands of these every week for new Model 3's.

I ordered the Tesla winter package tires and Pirelli’s Oct 12, it is now Nov 15 and no tires or ETA. If I dont get a ETA in 1 week I will be canceling the order, I’ve already been charged on my credit card. It is snowing and we expect snow next week. I will instead order Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 Tires and have them put on my rims.

I'm a fan of using Tesla OEM wheels as it's still my understanding that Tesla service and Rangers cannot remove non-OEM wheels from your vehicle should that ever be necessary. To avoid that PITA scenario, I'm always doing OEMs from now on. Our first S had non-OEM winter wheels. YMMV. So, I ended up buying another set of 18" wheels for our latest Model 3 and putting Nokian Hakkas on them as I'd always wanted to try Nokians and we are in real snow country here.

• Informative
Reactions: SamuraiPumpkin
I'm a fan of using Tesla OEM wheels as it's still my understanding that Tesla service and Rangers cannot remove non-OEM wheels from your vehicle should that ever be necessary. To avoid that PITA scenario, I'm always doing OEMs from now on. Our first S had non-OEM winter wheels. YMMV. So, I ended up buying another set of 18" wheels for our latest Model 3 and putting Nokian Hakkas on them as I'd always wanted to try Nokians and we are in real snow country here.

I have the Nokian Hakka R3 snow tires on 18” Aeros (RWD) and I can tell you they are amazing. I have a set of ice guard Yokohama snow tires on my 15 WRX and the RWD 3 feels better in snow and ice.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
If you plan to order an extra set of wheels from Tesla, you may want to do that early. I ordered a set of standard rims 3 weeks ago (wheels only, no tires because I don't want the Pirellis they sell as a winter package). After initially being told they would arrive in 1 week, now they are claiming they are "backordered" and they can't tell me when they will be in. Seems odd since they are cranking out thousands of these every week for new Model 3's.

Sucks they are taking so long on their package. How much did you spend on just wheels?

I have the Nokian Hakka R3 snow tires on 18” Aeros (RWD) and I can tell you they are amazing. I have a set of ice guard Yokohama snow tires on my 15 WRX and the RWD 3 feels better in snow and ice.
Excellent thanks. Ours is AWD and based on our 85D’s performance in the snow, I expect greatness from the Model 3 with Nokians on the 18” Aeros! :) My last car before the Tesla bug was a ‘13 WRX. Our 85D blows it away for snow performance. Was stunned...

Do you know the basic difference between the R3 and '9' studded ? Also, are you running these tires when it's not snowing / projected to snow ? You have a separate set of wheels or just switching as needed.

Brand new owner here (actually not-even-owner yet; I pick up my car in 2 weeks).

I am planning to buy a second set of wheels to run studded snow tires (we get a lot of snow & ice where I live).

My car is a non-Performance dual-motor AWD, long-range/extended battery Model 3.

I've done this on every (ICE) car I've owned, but being new to Teslas, I'm sure there will be some things different about it.

A few "known unknowns":
- How does TPMS work in 3rd-party wheels? Do I buy the TPMS sensors from Tesla, or will generic ones work?
- Does a Tesla service center have to install them? I've always changed over my own summer/winter wheels (and I'm familiar with at least some of the concerns about jacking up a Tesla, given the battery), but is this something I can do myself?
- Can any aftermarket 18" wheels & tires be used, or are there considerations that limit options?

Any and all wisdom for this noob would be greatly appreciated.
First off, welcome! You'll love the car, but you will likely notice some issues that tesla is still working on regarding winter tires and model 3. Many people have reported reduced regen after switching to winter tires. I've made some measurements of this, and the regen will be cut in about half. See these posts below for data/plots (the whole thread is long, but probably worth the read...)

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

Regarding your other questions:

1. You don't have to buy tpms from Tesla. Many people (me included) bought a set from eBay like the ones below and they worked fine. Can't beat $100/set. As long as they are programmed (these were), the model 3 will automatically detect them a short while after driving with them installed.

4x ITM TPMS Uni-Sensors Metal Clamp-On 433MHz for Tesla Model 3 2017-2018 667952810783 | eBay

2. I bought a new set of rims and use the aero rims as my winter rims. So after market work fine, just make sure they fit the model 3.

3. Jacking yourself is easy. You don't need the jack pad adaptors. I bought a couple hockey pucks and stacked them on top of the jack. Worked like a charm, and cost $1 instead of $25 per pad.

Hope this helps! Regarding the Regen issue, tesla is aware of it and reported working on a fix...though there is not eta.

Do you know the basic difference between the R3 and '9' studded ? Also, are you running these tires when it's not snowing / projected to snow ? You have a separate set of wheels or just switching as needed.

I don’t know the difference between the R3 and 9.

And yes, I put the snow tires on a week ago and will leave on until the average high temp is above 45. So probably until late March. I don’t swap them back and forth during the winter if that is what you’re asking.

I do have a separate set of wheels with the stock tires on them.

I have been trying to not reply to the winter tire threads as I will never be able to stop; I am beyond pro snow tires:) that being said I cannot ignore.

My understanding they are basically the same, just geared towards studded or studdless. The 9 is studded (and last I knew could be bought studdless), thus the tread design is more geared towards working with studs and in a stud environment. The are the general non-studded designed tread. Both are amazing tires. I have experience with them on everything from Toyota 86 (small RWD sports car) to a 4WD F150, and everything in between (probably had friends or family mount them on pushing 10+ cars). My opinion is both sets of tires are amazing. Studs work best in packed snow and ice, studdless in heavy snow. Thus if you live somewhere that gets tons of deep snow, that does get well plowed, studdless. If you live somewhere that road treatment is lacking and there is a lot of packed snow or ice, studded. I live in Boston and travel all over NE (I am at about 6,000 miles in 6 weeks) and always run studded. My logic is when it snows, I know and can adapt, but black ice you can easily miss and studded could really help out. The noise on studded is very minimal to me to know I have the best traction. Cons of studded are obviously the noise, a bit less traction in the dry and rain when pushed hard.

As FYI, my winter setup (installed once tires are off backorder....): are ForceOne3 Black 19x9.5 wheels and Hakka 9 studded. I bought 5 and will be rotating on a 5 tire schedule with a fuller size spare and rim in trunk.

TL;DR: Hakka 9 - If youwant studded. R3- if you want studdless. are great studded tires, with treads geared a bit more to working with studs, R3 are studdless and tread designed to be studdless. Both are amazing. (Disclaimer - I am just a fan and not responsible for any misinformation or issues caused by any recommendations:)).

1. any tpms sensor †hat is Tesla compatiable should work, it is auto detected by the car and you just choose rim size on the mcu and ¥øu’re Good to go.
2. Xl load rated winter tires are fine — blizzack, Michelin x-ice, nokian happa, pinareli, general .
3. You do not need to have it done by Tesla — the car is heavy, consider a 3 ton jack with a jackpad adaptor as the jackpoints are small and if you jack it incorrectly you could damage your battery

I have a 2018 Mdl S that originally came with 19" standard wheels and tires that the dealer put 21" staggered wheel/tire setup on. Obviously those tires are summer rubber and they don't offer a 21" tire replacement nor is there a staggered match set it would seem in the aftermarket realm. After the Cleveland SC never returned 3 messages to talk about a purchasing set of 19" snow tires and wheels that they recommended as a solution, I went with after market wheels and Blizzard tires (and probably saved 2K) .

Currently I am waiting on the wheels to come in and Discount Tire will setup who I ordered them from (cheaper than Tire Rack $1950 +) said the wheels will be setup with aftermarket TPMS that are clone able and will used the same serial numbers from the 21" tesla wheels so that will save having Tesla requirement of plugging in new serial numbers in computer each change of season. So....... am I missing anything here?

I have a 2018 Mdl S that originally came with 19" standard wheels and tires that the dealer put 21" staggered wheel/tire setup on. Obviously those tires are summer rubber and they don't offer a 21" tire replacement nor is there a staggered match set it would seem in the aftermarket realm. After the Cleveland SC never returned 3 messages to talk about a purchasing set of 19" snow tires and wheels that they recommended as a solution, I went with after market wheels and Blizzard tires (and probably saved 2K) .

Currently I am waiting on the wheels to come in and Discount Tire will setup who I ordered them from (cheaper than Tire Rack $1950 +) said the wheels will be setup with aftermarket TPMS that are clone able and will used the same serial numbers from the 21" tesla wheels so that will save having Tesla requirement of plugging in new serial numbers in computer each change of season. So....... am I missing anything here?
I dont believe you need to worry about cloning the serial numbers, etc. Just that the tpms sensors output the right frequency so that the car can detect them. After that, it will program itself to the sensors. I bought a set of sensors from ebay that were programmed for the model 3 frequency (433 mhz), and just had them mounted to rims. Even driving away with the OEM TPMS still in my car on the winter tires (I swapped the aero rims to use as winter tires and put the new rims + all season tires on for a few weeks), the car correctly detected the ebay tpms sensors. Hope that helps.

Does anyone know who can swap out tires? I bought some Michellin X-Ice tires and want to put them on my 18" aeros rims. Is there a preferred place to do this work? I didn't want to be locked into the minimal OEM choices so I'm getting these setup as my winter tires and then in the spring will buy something better overall.

Does anyone know who can swap out tires? I bought some Michellin X-Ice tires and want to put them on my 18" aeros rims. Is there a preferred place to do this work? I didn't want to be locked into the minimal OEM choices so I'm getting these setup as my winter tires and then in the spring will buy something better overall.
Any tire shop can switch the rims and balance the new tires (at least they should be). Some places don't like to jack up Tesla's in case they damage the battery, but honestly it's not rocket science. Even with a standard floor jack all you need are a couple hockey pucks to act as a shim on the jack points.

I have both Nokian Hakka R3’s and Hakka 9’s for my Model X and 3 (R2 and Hakka 9’s on my previous Model S’s).

I’m running the 19” TSportline TST with Nokian R3’s right now and will swap over to the Hakka 9’s on 18” TST wheels when icy conditions are forecasted or when we head up to the mountains and passes. I use a 3 ton jack from Costco, torque wrench from Harbor Freight and Murphy’s jack pads. It takes 20 mins to swap over if everything is ready to go.

Any tire shop can mount the tpms sensors (Tesla or non Tesla sensors as long as they are 433 Mhz frequency) and wheels. The studded tires and noise don’t bother me. Just turn up the volume of the music and it’s not too noticeable. At least people can hear you coming in parking lots.

Other than the studs on the Hakka 9’s, I notice there is way more siping on the R3 tread and will likely be better for gripping snow vs ice on the studded 9’s.

Attachments

• 4B587B15-7D08-43B0-BD04-AF3E4525FCE1.jpeg
    4B587B15-7D08-43B0-BD04-AF3E4525FCE1.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 298
  • D75579BB-0D97-4EF7-B87F-2C5A17A73557.jpeg
    D75579BB-0D97-4EF7-B87F-2C5A17A73557.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 206
  • 3374D74B-E368-4787-8041-63E6791615A7.jpeg
    3374D74B-E368-4787-8041-63E6791615A7.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I dont believe you need to worry about cloning the serial numbers, etc. Just that the tpms sensors output the right frequency so that the car can detect them. After that, it will program itself to the sensors. I bought a set of sensors from ebay that were programmed for the model 3 frequency (433 mhz), and just had them mounted to rims. Even driving away with the OEM TPMS still in my car on the winter tires (I swapped the aero rims to use as winter tires and put the new rims + all season tires on for a few weeks), the car correctly detected the ebay tpms sensors. Hope that helps.

Completed the aftermarket wheel and 4 snow tires several weeks ago for the thinner regular size 19" wheels and Tires are quieter than my Michelin insulated summer rubber 21" staggered setup. Discount Kloned the OEM TPMS serial numbers so that the aftermarket TPMS sensors worked without having to even reset. Very seamless. The sensors were about 22 each I think. So now I can swap with the 21" staggered setup in the spring wo needing to reset anything. Discount Tire is storing the set of tires. However because I bought 4 snow tires, there is not going to be any snow this winter here in Michigan I suspect. Just like the year I bought a snowmobile ! Ha ;-) . Merry Christmas everyone