Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's my first winter here in colorado and a first with my p3d. I was looking to get some advice from locals or others who've been in similar winter conditions.

I put on michelin alpin pa4 n-specs on the 20" performance wheels and am already thinking of exchanging them for hakka r3's after reading that the alpins don't perform too great on snow covered roads. I don't know how bad the roads get in CO hence my concern, and also that I'll likely by driving up to the slopes to ski every weekend if not every other day. Can anyone comment on the conditions here ( I-70, roads to eldora, arapahoe, etc.) and whether the alpin's are good enough to hold up to them?

I'd thought of getting the 20" chains from tesla but it's hard for me to justify 300$ chains..

I’m in a similar situation next door in Utah with my new AWD 3. I don’t know that I have any answers for you but here’s my general thoughts:
- You will want a true winter tire. I’m not up on all the latest ones but my go-to in the past has been the Bridgestone Blizzak.

- If possible the general advice is to downsize to the smallest wheel diameter that will fit on the car and also get a more narrow width. This will give you a deeper sidewall to go into snow/ice without damaging your wheel and also put more weight on a smaller contact patch so the car is more stable on slick surfaces. Not sure how small you can go on the P3 though.

- There’s two schools of thought on the chains. One is that you’ll want to carry them as it’s always a good idea to have them just in case and in many conditions they are required by law. The other thinking is that if the road is that bad then it will probably be closed to begin with. So really I feel that chains are just for the times when you get caught in a storm and you’re already out.

I would definitely get true winter tires and carry chains if you are going to ski areas. I’m actually debating right now if I want to invest in the wheels/tires/chains for my car or if I will just always use other vehicles or shuttles when going skiing.

Reactions: BCNY
It's my first winter here in colorado and a first with my p3d. I was looking to get some advice from locals or others who've been in similar winter conditions. I put on michelin alpin pa4 n-specs on the 20" performance wheels and am already thinking of exchanging them

Wow, sailor, you are asking or advise after you've already made, acted on, and are now second guessing, winter tire purchase decision?
You've already invested into half-decent winter tires. Use them!
Learn from the experience, adjust as necessary down the road.

Keep it simple!

I'll likely by driving up to the slopes to ski every weekend if not every other day. Can anyone comment on the conditions here ( I-70, roads to eldora, arapahoe, etc.) and whether the alpin's are good enough to hold up to them?

I70 and major roads are quickly cleared of snow.
Back roads, less often.
But if you are heading out on a snow storm day, you will absolutely end up both skiing and driving on fresh powder.
There are better tires for that than PA4's (Blizzak's come to mind), but what you've got will suffice.

I'd thought of getting the 20" chains from tesla but it's hard for me to justify 300$ chains..

This makes even less sense.
You've already thrown $1+K into PA4's, evidently without researching them much, and now can't justify $300?

I'm not sure there is anything I can tell you that will produce a positive outcome!

Reactions: ReddykwRun
at what temp does efficiency start to degrade? i just lowered my car an inch and the day i took my car home from the shop saw an increase in efficiency....temp was around 70. my drive to work today was about 345wi/mi when i average about 280 normally .. temp was 50. lowest temps so far with my model 3.

at what temp does efficiency start to degrade? i just lowered my car an inch and the day i took my car home from the shop saw an increase in efficiency....temp was around 70. my drive to work today was about 345wi/mi when i average about 280 normally .. temp was 50. lowest temps so far with my model 3.
If you use the heater you'll lose efficiency anytime it's on.

Other than that, you won't lose much efficiency if you change your driving habits to account for reduced regen until it gets much closer to freezing. At least in my experience...

Reactions: StealthP3D
It's my first winter here in colorado and a first with my p3d. I was looking to get some advice from locals or others who've been in similar winter conditions.

I put on michelin alpin pa4 n-specs on the 20" performance wheels and am already thinking of exchanging them for hakka r3's after reading that the alpins don't perform too great on snow covered roads. I don't know how bad the roads get in CO hence my concern, and also that I'll likely by driving up to the slopes to ski every weekend if not every other day. Can anyone comment on the conditions here ( I-70, roads to eldora, arapahoe, etc.) and whether the alpin's are good enough to hold up to them?

If you lived in the mountains or travelled to trailheads/areas not kept as clear as the routes to the resorts, I'd suggest Nokians/Blizzaks. But, given your use case, you should be fine with your current winter tires. Definitely skip the chains. If this winter convinces you to go with a winter tire geared more for the worst conditions, consider getting a set of 18"/19" wheels to go with them.

Last edited:
As soon as you start using the heater, whatever temperature that is for you. The colder it gets outside, and the warmer you like it inside, the bigger the hit. In an ICE car, heat is a waste product, so it’s essentially free to stay warm. In an EV you use electricity to generate heat. The seat heaters are more efficient, so try turning them on and lowering the cabin temperature.

Reactions: StealthP3D
  • Sticking Charger Plug. In damp freezing conditions it is possible for the charging plug to get stuck and not release from the car. Tesla did put out an update last winter to help with that. If it does happen to you there is a release pull inside the trunk directly behind the charging port.

If you have any more tips, please add them to the thread.

Any pics?

Also, how do we avoid frozen port where you cannot plug the charge cable

Wow, sailor, you are asking or advise after you've already made, acted on, and are now second guessing, winter tire purchase decision?
You've already invested into half-decent winter tires. Use them!
Learn from the experience, adjust as necessary down the road.

Keep it simple!

I've still the chance to exchange or return them, and my concern is whether these 'half-decent' tires are decent enough for the conditions where I am located. I'm trying to take the best precautionary measures so as to not learn by experience and find out that the alpins are indeed not good enough as that'll be even more costly than dealing with a tire exchange..

I70 and major roads are quickly cleared of snow.
Back roads, less often.
But if you are heading out on a snow storm day, you will absolutely end up both skiing and driving on fresh powder.
There are better tires for that than PA4's (Blizzak's come to mind), but what you've got will suffice.

this is good info, thanks. I'm asking around here to see if more can attest to whether alpins actually suffice, or if they've any experiences to share like in this tmc thread saying they were slippery on I70.

This makes even less sense.
You've already thrown $1+K into PA4's, evidently without researching them much, and now can't justify $300?

I'm not sure there is anything I can tell you that will produce a positive outcome!

I have researched them much and know they are great performance winter tires, but what my researchs lacks is their effectiveness in conditions similar to mine. I know for the most part they will do just fine but I'm after more security seeing as I want to avoid costly repairs, etc. I haven't ever spent over $100 for chains, and don't see why they'd cost that much so it is hard for me to justify $300 chains..

I agree, there's not much you can tell me that's useful but thank you for the response

• Informative
Reactions: GaryW
As a fellow Minnesotan, thanks for posting this! I'm considering getting a M3 AWD before this winter really starts. Did you happen to tint your back window? I had planned to do this but read that the M3's glass is prone to cracking when using the defroster due to heat dissipation issues.

I just picked up a set of Continental Vikingcontact 7s for my first winter in the 3. This is their first year selling them in the US, but the reviews put them at the top of any euro list I've been able to find. I got them for $200 each installed, which was $50 cheaper each than the R3. I live in lake effect snow country, and it shocks me every year how everyone around me complains about diving in the snow. Good snow tires, make life good.

I've still the chance to exchange or return them, and my concern is whether these 'half-decent' tires are decent enough for the conditions where I am located. I'm trying to take the best precautionary measures so as to not learn by experience and find out that the alpins are indeed not good enough as that'll be even more costly than dealing with a tire exchange..

Let me put it this way - if I lived in Denver and had ambitions to drive to ski resorts all winter long, I would have bought the best possible Studless Ice & Snow tires money can buy - Blizzak WS90 or Michelin X-Ice Xi3.

I have a set of former on my ski resort transportation vehicle (not the Tesla), and just ordered a set of the latter for TM3P.

If you can return your current tires, consider swapping them out for one of the above.

I have researched them much and know they are great performance winter tires, but what my researchs lacks is their effectiveness in conditions similar to mine.

Your conditions are not unique.
Snow is snow, and ice is ice.
You can optimize traction for the former by getting on the above 2 tires.
The only way to optimize for ice traction is via studded tires. Incidentally, they are legal in Colorado (and only 5 other states), but studs degrade traction on dry pavement, so what you gain over ice you loose in traction over cleared dry asphalt.

HTH

Reactions: Pommie

Welcome to Denver ! My first year with my model 3. I plan to use chains on my vehicle. As mentioned above I-70 is typically kept up with well. Although at times when it’s near white out conditions, Loveland pass is the first to close. Eisenhower tunnel is the only route. At the bottom metering takes place that cause a hold up with traffic. You should be fine with your tires on your vehicle. I would just recommend keeping the chains incase. New law went into affect in Aug. Worst scenarios a Passenger Traction Law ( Code 16 ) goes into effect before a complete shut off. Passenger Vehicle Traction & Chain Laws —. I would have the chains just to be in compliance. It happens more than often in the slopes. Although it has been issued in very extreme cases in the city as well. Good Luck and happy skiing !