Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers - a suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two issues here - firstly we are separated by a common language with highly variable dialects. But more importantly not all of us live with good enough cell coverage for guaranteed response - and the more rural you are with poorer coverage the more you are likely to be reliant on good viz and narrow twisty roads and hazards.
Voice Command has nothing to do with a Cell Connection, except for Texting and Phone calls. I drive on a lot of narrow (no center line) rural roads, that is exactly why I love Voice Command so much...

In general, giving a single-press on the wiper button seems to give them the hint they need to start wiping for me. That and the voice commands seem to do the trick, though of course YMMV.
I tried teaching the wiper (in auto) by doing a single press as and when about 4 or 5 times - eventually it gets the hint. I wanted to try this more before I responded to the post but more users could try this and post back.

Voice Command has nothing to do with a Cell Connection, except for Texting and Phone calls. I drive on a lot of narrow (no center line) rural roads, that is exactly why I love Voice Command so much...

I we don't have internet access, we can't even set a manual navigation destination let alone get voice commands working. The car even comes back with a connection error.

Sometimes its as if we are talking about completely different cars here in the UK than those in USA.

Voice Command has nothing to do with a Cell Connection, except for Texting and Phone calls.
Ok, for Navigation, Phone and Text you need a Cell connection, but that is true for every car. But none of the other Voice Commands need Cellular connections. I recently (during our Thanksgiving) drove a 1,200 mile road trip in a very rural area and some mountains. I had no cellular connection, yet my Voice Commands worked flawlessly...

It’s just complete nonsense that Tesla feel they need to prove a point by having to use cameras to detect rain.

All I would say is come and drive on UK roads in the rain with the wipers set to Auto.

You will either be dead due to no wiping/visibility or dead due to the wipers burrowing their way through the glass and forcing the windscreen through your eyeballs.

As mentioned above - they worked fine, now it seems someone thinks their software skills are a little above their real capability. They create all this code for “deep rain” bobbins, and forget to include a sensitivity setting, explicitly refusing to believe that drivers may know rain conditions better than some 5 dollar cameras and rubbish code.

I just do not understand. I have driven through all types of rain conditions with my Model Y and just do not have an issue with them working by just using "Voice Command". I am very familiar with rain in the United Kingdom and throughout Europe. My Mother was from southern Germany. Currently I have family living from Thalfang, Germany, near the Luxenberg, French, Belgium border to Bonndorf in the very southern part of Germany and friends living in Ireland. I have driven all over this area and find the rainy conditions very similar to what we have many times in Ohio. I will give you a little information as to what I have learned with the Auto setting. If your window has any dirt on it the wipers will run full bore trying to remove the dirt. If you have this issue use a blue nylon scrub pad with dish soap and thoroughly clean the window to remove the issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: tj333 and adsheff
I just do not understand. I have driven through all types of rain conditions with my Model Y and just do not have an issue with them working by just using "Voice Command". I am very familiar with rain in the United Kingdom and throughout Europe. My Mother was from southern Germany. Currently I have family living from Thalfang, Germany, near the Luxenberg, French, Belgium border to Bonndorf in the very southern part of Germany and friends living in Ireland. I have driven all over this area and find the rainy conditions very similar to what we have many times in Ohio. I will give you a little information as to what I have learned with the Auto setting. If your window has any dirt on it the wipers will run full bore trying to remove the dirt. If you have this issue use a blue nylon scrub pad with dish soap and thoroughly clean the window to remove the issue.

We don't understand, either, but take it as a fact that here in the UK voice commands are generally very poor, and completely unusable much of the time. The only voice command I can ever get to work reliably is "open glovebox", and even then it mangles the translation on the screen, yet still somehow manages to work.

TBH, I'm not at all sure of the cause, but it definitely does seem to be linked with mobile coverage here, as well as the system having problems with British accents, I believe.

FWIW, there do seem to be quite a few differences between the UK software and that used in North America, apart from the obvious stuff like the user interface being mirrored. Another issue is that we seem to have far more major safety problems with TACC, to the point where it's too dangerous to consider using on many roads, due to the tendency to perform random emergency stops from speed at times, often when the system confuses the flapping sides of a curtainsider, or it's tie downs, as some sort of imminent emergency threat.

Reactions: Giri99
It is clear to me that voice commands do need a mobile connection here in the U.K. Often it puts something on the screen, then, after a pause for communication changes it and then may or may not do what is requested. Particularly annoying is when Call Fred gets interpreted as Navigating to Fred’s restaurant. Does anyone know how to cancel this and revert to the previous navigation destination?

Reactions: adsheff
It is clear to me that voice commands do need a mobile connection here in the U.K. Often it puts something on the screen, then, after a pause for communication changes it and then may or may not do what is requested. Particularly annoying is when Call Fred gets interpreted as Navigating to Fred’s restaurant. Does anyone know how to cancel this and revert to the previous navigation destination?

Perhaps Tesla should include this with all cars? :)

Watch Perfect English Pronunciation: British English - Learn English pronunciation from a native British speaker to take your accent to the next level | Prime Video

The car should always be connected, except when out of range of a cell tower. This sounds like a basic connectivity issue you should have checked, not a problem with voice commands per se.

Isn't that what I implied? In response to

Voice Command has nothing to do with a Cell Connection, except for Texting and Phone calls.

Basically navigation (when setting destination) and voice commands need a reliable active internet connection to the Tesla servers. The latter is often an issue when voice fails simply because of timeouts on the Tesla servers even when a reliable connection exists. It doesn't help that the transition from wifi to lte isn't seamless at the start of many journeys.

I we don't have internet access, we can't even set a manual navigation destination let alone get voice commands working. The car even comes back with a connection error.

You cannot extrapolate an apparent perfect experience of Tesla voice control in US to UK users 4000 miles away. By the number of people reporting issues across the whole of the UK (and further afield), clearly there is a reliability issue. And there is more going on than lack of mobile connectivity because it is little better when on a solid wifi connection. The only consistency in UK voice commands is that they are consistently inconsistent.

"wiper speed 3" - the computer says "no" is not a fight you want to have with a safety feature such as windscreen wipers,

Presume you are referring to Dawn Dish Soap.Impossible to find here so will try using Fairy Liquid . Update to follow.
Please be very careful washing any part of your car with Fairy Liquid/Dawn or any other dish soap.

They all contain a very high levels of salt which will eventually cause any metals to corrode and will strip away any protection applied to your paintwork.

I know we're discussing glass here but if you really do want to try it please keep it away from any bodywork.

Suggest Autoglym glass polish if you're trying to clear stubborn residue from the windshield.

Cell connection is required for voice commands in my S UK. If your Tesla works without then I can only assume that US voice commands are stored locally to US models. Perhaps in some distant future there'll be a download for other languages stored on-board. In fact they don't even work when I have only a single bar showing.