Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers on Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having issues with wipers in the auto position? Specifically, when driving on a sunny day, the wipers sporadically go to continuous fast speed and the only solution is to turn them off. There is no moisture hitting the windshield and it only happens on maybe 20% of my drives. I've rebooted but that didn't resolve it. Not a huge deal, just an annoyance but curious if anyone has a fix. Issue has been happening since June 2021 (delivery) and all software is up to date. Thanks!

I’ve had my MYLR for a bit over 3 weeks and about a week ago the wipers set to auto started coming on in dry sunny weather. I sprayed windshield but that didn’t help. I’ll try a thorough cleaning and see what happens.
The sun blinding the camera could trigger a wiper setting as it may not be able to differentiate from blinding from sun vs. blinding of water.

Upvote 0
The sun blinding the camera could trigger a wiper setting as it may not be able to differentiate from blinding from sun vs. blinding of water.

That might be it. My windshield is spotless and the wipers (on auto) went crazy on a drive today. It was the first sunny day in a week. The sun also blinded the right passenger camera which caused a brief 'autopilot unavailable' message.

Upvote 0
Anyone having issues with wipers in the auto position?
I thought the question was 'Who isn't having issues with auto wipers?'. I get wipers-at-max at various times doing various things. There's no consistency although enabling TACC in light drizzle will often trigger max speed. I normally leave the wipers off until it starts raining.

Upvote 0
I’ve owned my MY for the past 18 months, but have had enough challenges (wipers running on a dry day or refusing to run adequately in a rain or drizzle) that for the past month I keep them off and use manually 🙁
I'd like to do that, but they change to auto when using AP (at least with FSD beta they do). Really annoying when I want to wash the windshield salt off on the highway. The auto wipers run on high for a dozen or two wipes, leaving the windshield with a thin salt film. I have to kick off AP, set the wipers to off, then hit the washer.

Upvote 0
I've had my MY for about a year and a half now and I have to say the automatic wipers leave much to be desired. They work well about 70% of the time but occasionally they freak out and stay stuck in high speed. I usually turn off the automatic and just set a speed when that happens. I feel silly sitting in a car with the wipers going full speed and there is hardly any rain. 😁 I've not had them go off when it isn't raining. To be honest, I've not seen a car with good automatic wipers. My previous car, a '16 Acura RDX had similar issues where the wipers would get stuck at high speed and I would have to turn off the automatic setting to get them to reset and slow down. The Acura did have the automatic lane keeping (forward facing camera) so that might have been a factor. I don't think the industry has really figured this out yet and now with Tesla needing to keep the front cameras clear at all times, it just makes the matter worse. I'm hoping this will improve with a software update some day but really haven't seen a bit of improvement yet.

Upvote 0
most stupid thing, either full manual, or use IR sensor. Telsa delete wiper stalk and IR sensor to save $20 and put driver in trouble and danger.
the nightmare is not over, with AP, it is forced to auto, aka force you to use the faulty wiper, lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone having issues with wipers in the auto position? Specifically, when driving on a sunny day, the wipers sporadically go to continuous fast speed and the only solution is to turn them off. There is no moisture hitting the windshield and it only happens on maybe 20% of my drives. I've rebooted but that didn't resolve it. Not a huge deal, just an annoyance but curious if anyone has a fix. Issue has been happening since June 2021 (delivery) and all software is up to date. Thanks!
It seems the last update or 2 has really screwed it up worse. I too get the perfect bluebird day full speed non stop, torrential downpour once every minute or two.

Reactions: JoeT21MY
Upvote 0