Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging / USB-C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already.

Are new Model 3's arriving with wireless charging/USB-C consistently yet? Or is this something that's "hit and miss", or something in the future?

I'll be honest, it doesn't really bother me, I can buy a wireless matt, and I don't have any USB-C cables. So all easily fixable, just checking to see what to expect.

TIA

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already.

Are new Model 3's arriving with wireless charging/USB-C consistently yet? Or is this something that's "hit and miss", or something in the future?

I'll be honest, it doesn't really bother me, I can buy a wireless matt, and I don't have any USB-C cables. So all easily fixable, just checking to see what to expect.

TIA

unless your extremely unlucky you’ll have wireless and USB-C

Would say yes, there might have been the very occasional miss not his in last few weeks but if your vin is into the 760000+ range it should be the new setup.

Wireless charging works nicely with iPhone 8 and X so far, including with cases fitted

My M3LR (VIN761xxx) collected on Monday came with wireless charging occupying the front USB-C socket and a front USB-A socket free to which I've plugged a USB memory stick for TeslaCam.

I don't have a wireless charging phone so will need to unplug the wireless mat and figure out how to place a USB-C to USB-C charging cable instead.

I've installed a Nextbase 412GW dashcam and wired it along the rubber seals to one of the two rear USB-C "passenger" sockets adding a USB-C to USB-A adapter and an in-line USB power switch (no "ignition-controlled" power source in a Tesla).

I was thinking of trying to use the 12v cigar socket in the centre armrest but there is a supplied, albeit removable, tray that blocks using the socket. You'd have to remove and stow the tray to use the cigar socket.

My M3LR (VIN761xxx) collected on Monday came with wireless charging occupying the front USB-C socket and a front USB-A socket free to which I've plugged a USB memory stick for TeslaCam.

I don't have a wireless charging phone so will need to unplug the wireless mat and figure out how to place a USB-C to USB-C charging cable instead.

I've installed a Nextbase 412GW dashcam and wired it along the rubber seals to one of the two rear USB-C "passenger" sockets adding a USB-C to USB-A adapter and an in-line USB power switch (no "ignition-controlled" power source in a Tesla).

I was thinking of trying to use the 12v cigar socket in the centre armrest but there is a supplied, albeit removable, tray that blocks using the socket. You'd have to remove and stow the tray to use the cigar socket.
Something like this would reduce the foot print of the 12v socket charger:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TECKNET-Ch...+socket&qid=1599656135&sr=8-7&tag=googhydr-21

You'd just need a USB C to USB C cable then.

Alternatively, for the front USB socket a usb a to usb c adapter would work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/nonda-Adap...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I think (it's on two of the invoices) Vin is 773247, so should be wireless. Thanks for this.

Neil? Why are you fitting a dashcam when you can plug in a USB stick and have the car do it?

Because I took it off my Volvo and I'm collecting my whole journeys to view on my 27" PC monitor.
Nextbase have a playback viewer which shows continuous GPS location, direction, speed and g-forces - sometimes quite interesting.
I have on occasion spotted things I'd have taken a photo of if I could, so freeze framing the playback I can get a good screenshot.

Teslacam is an unknown quantity for me right now - I plugged the USB stick in from the start of collecting the car in the Southampton delivery hub but not yet figured how to view what it's captured yet.

No worries. I guess I'm just of the mind to not invest any money or time until I know what I've got.

Ie. my current car has a dashcam fitted, but I'll not be putting that in the tesla, until I've tried it and it's not worked for me.

Because I took it off my Volvo and I'm collecting my whole journeys to view on my 27" PC monitor.
Nextbase have a playback viewer which shows continuous GPS location, direction, speed and g-forces - sometimes quite interesting.
I have on occasion spotted things I'd have taken a photo of if I could, so freeze framing the playback I can get a good screenshot.

Teslacam is an unknown quantity for me right now - I plugged the USB stick in from the start of collecting the car in the Southampton delivery hub but not yet figured how to view what it's captured yet.
You just unplug the usb and pop it in a PC.

Or you can load up a Raspberry Pi Zero W with TeslaCam and a good quality µSD card, plug it into the car in place of any USB storage and have it dump all the dashcam footage to any shared drive on your home network, as soon as the car gets within WiFi range of home. You can also use this same setup to sync up a home music store to the car, so whatever music you have on a home media server is synced to the car. Only slight snag is the need to add a small battery back up to the Raspberry Pi Zero W, as the car turns the USB ports off shortly after being locked, and the Raspberry Pi needs power for long enough to finish any file transfers. Not often an issue, as there's usually a delay between locking the car and it going to sleep and turning off the USB power.

• Helpful
Reactions: Columbo
Or you can load up a Raspberry Pi Zero W with TeslaCam and a good quality µSD card,
plug it into the car in place of any USB storage and have it dump all the dashcam footage to any shared drive on your home network,
as soon as the car gets within WiFi range of home.
You can also use this same setup to sync up a home music store to the car,
so whatever music you have on a home media server is synced to the car.
Only slight snag is the need to add a small battery back up to the Raspberry Pi Zero W,
as the car turns the USB ports off shortly after being locked,
and the Raspberry Pi needs power for long enough to finish any file transfers.
Not often an issue, as there's usually a delay between locking the car and it going to sleep and turning off the USB power.
Could you document more in detail your installation with all the components you used and the software setup,
or even more make a video of it, or point out any description of a similar system?

Note: I installed a Blackvue DR900s dashcam which provides Cloud access to the camera using WiFi.
This is the feature I like the most, when the car is parked I can remotely access the recorded camera content or get a life stream.
You can use an external battery if you want to have a constant recording when parked,
but when using Sentry mode you can have the Blackvue DR900s dashcam activated, so you don't need a battery.
You can activate Sentry mode remotely using your Tesla App when needed, or Sentry turned on when not parked at home or your work.
One interesting feature with the Cloud support is to receive alerts on your smartphone when the camera detect some motion.

Could you document more in detail your installation with all the components you used and the software setup,
or even more make a video of it, or point out any description of a similar system?

There's some details in this thread: Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

I followed the details in this blog post, but instead of using Dropbox, I set it up to sync to a couple of folders on my NAS media server: Tesla Dashcam with Raspberry Pi Zero W

Reactions: Watts_Up
Officially I think Tesla told me built after June 3rd or 6th was the date when the USB-C/wireless kicked in, but that doesn’t always correlate 100% with sequential VINs. Mine was built July 6th. Mad to think I waited so flipping long then had the car 8 weeks after it was hatched.

Re the dashcam - I finally unplugged the USB stick from Teslacam and viewed its contents on a PC. The picture quality is awful, there are not many recordings of my journeys. They are in one-minute chunks as separate videos for all the cameras then moves onto the next minute and each camera in turn.
To watch the entire folder for a given date you'll see the same 1-minute journey section four-times (1 from each camera) before moving onto the next minute.
The Tesla inbuilt viewer does an excellent job of replaying the feed for a single selected camera and stitching the chunks together but picture quality is not so good.

Apart from the side and rear camera an actual dedicated dashcam is significantly better.

You can replace the bottom bar and turn your dock to both wireless and high speed USB C wired with our conversion kit: Wired Phone Fast-Charging Kit for Model 3/Y