Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiring for charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they're standard outlets for plugging in regular tools or Christmas lights, not easily. That's a NEMA 5-15 outlet (120 Volts, 15 Amps peak) or possibly a 5-20 (120 V, 20 Amps peak) if you're lucky. It will be shared with other outlets in the house, which means you can't convert it to 240V. The wire won't support a 30 Amp dryer outlet.

Using the provided charging cable and outlet adapter, you can plug into that outlet and charge slowly. You'll get about 50 miles of range added to the battery if you're plugged in for 12 hours overnight. That works fine if you have very light usage, but can be limiting at times. You'll likely want to contact an electrician and request that they install a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet near where you park your car. Tesla has adapters for both of those types of outlets.

If you can positively guarantee that's the only outlet on the circuit breaker, you could convert it to either a 15 or 20 amp 240volt circuit by simply changing the breaker and the outlet(to a 6-15 or 6-20), assuming there's space in the panel for a duplex breaker. Note that 20 is only possible if its 12 gauge wiring.

>Sometimes< outdoor breakers get their own private GFCI breaker and wire going to the outlet, so you might be in luck.

All that said, if its not a long run you might want to just add a dedicated charging breaker/wire/outlet.

can I convert that outlet to the outlet needed to charge the M3 (dryer plug?)
You say "the" outlet, as if it needs one particular kind. But Tesla sells about 10 different kinds of adapter plugs for many different types of outlets. So you can just plug into the outlet you already have if you have the right adapter plug for it, or you could change it to something else.
Here's a nice reference guide with a diagram of the most common types of outlets. Identify what you have, and let's talk more.
NEMA connector - Wikipedia

Hey folks.

If I have an outdoor power source (2 covered plugs on the side of my house) can I convert that outlet to the outlet needed to charge the M3 (dryer plug?)

sorry for my lack of terminology and understanding.

thanks!

Please post detailed pictures of the receptacles and your panel (and the area the receptacles / panel is in just for reference so we can try to give good advice).

Hey folks.

If I have an outdoor power source (2 covered plugs on the side of my house) can I convert that outlet to the outlet needed to charge the M3 (dryer plug?)

sorry for my lack of terminology and understanding.

thanks!

Are you asking this as a person who will do electrical work or to call an electrician?

While it is possible to do this, not all electricians will be interested in converting an old outlet. They may prefer to run a wire and do a clean install. Its not that hard to drill a new hole, especially when you have an unfinished basement.

Just call an electrician and tell them you want a NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 outlet. They will give you a quote and you don't need to worry about how they do it.