Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth buying an M3P at this point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is like saying, “I will never buy a flying car because the only color they come in is white”.

You do realize you can swap out the wheels/tires, right? I did it they say after I took delivery. In my garage. With my son.
I’m in the same boat if I were to get a 3P. Basically I need 3 additional transactions - buy winter 18s, summer 19s and sell the stock 20s. It’s not that this isn’t an option, it’s the cost associated. Certainly could buy 18s with all seasons and be close to flat on cost, but it would be nice if there was a more street friendly option with the P.

Reactions: goinelectric
Impressive mod, and you'll win for sure, but where is the fun in that? I can see it now, they'll call the next FSD parlor trick "drag strip mode" then people can just sit in the stands and watch Tesla run perfect 1/4 mile runs time after time then collect their prize at the end of the night... LOL.
Yeah, he was respectful in that he just wants to see how it worked for one season in bracket racing (supposedly) and will not put it in points series afterwards.

But that is third hand info I got online, take it with a grain of salt. I do need to track the guy down though and see if he's using the factory camera systems and computer, or if he rigged up a standalone system.

That says it all. You only need the Performance version if you have to have the fastest one and it'll really bother you to know that you don't... otherwise even a regular Dual Motor is more than enough to smoke just about anything on the road from stoplight to stoplight.

People keep forgetting that traction is king. You can have 1000 horsepower and if you can only stick 400 HP to the ground, you have a 400 HP car.

Tesla has one of, if not the best traction control systems that exists, including $250k+ cars.

Well, my mentality is that if I'm spending that much money on a car, I shouldn't automatically have to flip out several more grand to change the wheels.
I don't like buying things twice when they're pricey.
Makes sense to me, if I’m dropping $60k on a new car I’m not trying to swap parts as soon as I get the thing either. You could roll with the stock 20s but I can attest that they are easily destroyed as a pot whole took out two of my tires and dented a rim on mine last summer. Maybe a good reason to consider a dual motor or a used stealth performance if you’re open to used cars.

I’ve actually considered selling my M3P and getting a brand new dual motor because used car prices are so high right now and I’m rapidly approaching the end of my warranty period. I really don’t use the FSD and don’t need to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. Plus it’d probably be close to an even swap aside from taxes.

I just can’t pull the trigger though… I’ve got the silver paint that you can’t get anymore, lifetime premium connectivity, paint protection film, FSD, and nice tint on there. Plus I just like knowing I have the fastest one even if I have no practical need for it.

It’s funny because I would have never paid for any of that stuff if I bought it new myself but I found it at a used Chevy dealership in Savannah in late 2019 and they had no idea what they had so I got the car for $43k. 2 years later I think I could still sell it for a good bit more than I paid.

Makes sense to me, if I’m dropping $60k on a new car I’m not trying to swap parts as soon as I get the thing either. You could roll with the stock 20s but I can attest that they are easily destroyed as a pot whole took out two of my tires and dented a rim on mine last summer. Maybe a good reason to consider a dual motor or a used stealth performance if you’re open to used cars.

I’ve actually considered selling my M3P and getting a brand new dual motor because used car prices are so high right now and I’m rapidly approaching the end of my warranty period. I really don’t use the FSD and don’t need to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. Plus it’d probably be close to an even swap aside from taxes.

I just can’t pull the trigger though… I’ve got the silver paint that you can’t get anymore, lifetime premium connectivity, paint protection film, FSD, and nice tint on there. Plus I just like knowing I have the fastest one even if I have no practical need for it.

It’s funny because I would have never paid for any of that stuff if I bought it new myself but I found it at a used Chevy dealership in Savannah in late 2019 and they had no idea what they had so I got the car for $43k. 2 years later I think I could still sell it for a good bit more than I paid.
I can totally see where you are coming from and you got a great deal on it. I think though I'd part with it and go with a newer one. Warranty alone is a compelling reason, ESPECIALLY since you have the first year of the 3.

The dual motor is pretty quick and of course with boost it isn't far off the M3P as you likely now. The heat pump is a nice improvement. The upgraded CPU, dual pane glass, etc.

I think I would definitely part with it as I doubt used Tesla values will be as strong as they are for much longer. I definitely saw softness from when I first put my Y for sale until if finally sold. I think they are in higher demand than any other Tesla too.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

You got an awesome buy! PPF and tinting too? Super.... Yeah, I'd hesitate to sell it too.
Low profile tires and my rims are too frustrating for me. I spent thousands on multiple sets of tires and rims on my last car.

Makes sense to me, if I’m dropping $60k on a new car I’m not trying to swap parts as soon as I get the thing either.
@golfcart I hear you on this. I wish Tesla offered a more practical M3P wheel option from the factory. Like forged 18s or 19s instead of the oversized, overweight, over-fragile 20s. While I'm at it I wish they offered a serious performance suspension option too from the factory. The EV I almost bought before getting my M3P had forged wheels and very high quality dampers in its performance package, no need for anything aftermarket.

That said, swapping wheels once when you get the car is truly no big deal. Every time you get new tires, your wheels come off. Those who live someplace that gets a lot of snow usually swap wheels twice a year. Stay within stock Model 3 sizing & offset and there's really nothing to be afraid of.

I didn't even have the inclination to read all the post before posting. I've had my '21 since August and the pure exhilaration of driving the M3P does not diminish.

We don't know the number of days we got in this world. Waiting isn't all that it's made out to be...

If you are waiting, then you are missing out.

Reactions: Adam3 and tm1v2
You got an awesome buy! PPF and tinting too? Super.... Yeah, I'd hesitate to sell it too.
Low profile tires and my rims are too frustrating for me. I spent thousands on multiple sets of tires and rims on my last car.
It was a trade in. All the badges were taken off except for the Tesla logo so no visible signs that it was a performance model unless you know what to look for. Turns out when you put the vin in a car fax all it said was dual motor so they just thought it was a regular dual motor long range. I saw the red calipers and spoiler in the pics and knew right away. Had them snap a pic of the screen and confirmed the red line indicating performance model. Also noticed FSD options available on the screen and realized it had FSD too.

Made an (accepted) offer over the phone and took a one way flight the next morning to pick the car up. When I get down there I realize it has PPF, tint, rubber floor mats (including trunk and frunk), a well done skin over the dash and interior panels, sun shade, roadside hazard kit, J1772 adapter, lifetime premium connectivity, and brand new tires (car has 30k miles when I get it). This car was someone’s pride and joy I have no idea why they sold it to a Chevy dealer but I’m glad they did.

They get at least 10 calls about the car while I’m there finalizing the deal. Apparently they had just put it online the day before and by dumb luck I found it 10 minutes later and called them. I drove it 500 miles home that morning and the rest is history.

I can totally see where you are coming from and you got a great deal on it. I think though I'd part with it and go with a newer one. Warranty alone is a compelling reason, ESPECIALLY since you have the first year of the 3.
I just can’t do it even though it’s the right move on paper. I’ve got the first real production year of the model 3 in a rare color, fully loaded, and it’s got a great story behind it with how I got the car. I’ve had no problems with it aside from the pothole incident that wasn’t handled quickly under warranty so I really can’t complain.

Reactions: house9 and Tony_YYZ
I just can’t do it even though it’s the right move on paper. I’ve got the first real production year of the model 3 in a rare color, fully loaded, and it’s got a great story behind it with how I got the car. I’ve had no problems with it aside from the pothole incident that wasn’t handled quickly under warranty so I really can’t complain.
You have to what makes sense for you. My biggest concern about my 3 is the long term reliability. Having a 2018 you are the real pathfinder in that area. Having worked for 2 major auto companies, I know how problematic first year models can be and with Tesla I feel it is even more of a crapshoot. They made so many 3's so it be rare like a roadster. If it is still working well, then I wish you many more years of driving pleasure.

I'll be following you to see if you have any issues in the future so I know what to expect with my 3. Hopefully it doesn't go through headlights like the S's seemed to do. At $3700 a light, not something I want to be replacing on my S after warranty. Honestly from what all I've read, I'll probably dump all of my Teslas when the warranty is up or with some remaining to make it easier to sell. Is it too late to get an extended warranty?

It was a trade in. All the badges were taken off except for the Tesla logo so no visible signs that it was a performance model unless you know what to look for. Turns out when you put the vin in a car fax all it said was dual motor so they just thought it was a regular dual motor long range. I saw the red calipers and spoiler in the pics and knew right away. Had them snap a pic of the screen and confirmed the red line indicating performance model. Also noticed FSD options available on the screen and realized it had FSD too.

Made an (accepted) offer over the phone and took a one way flight the next morning to pick the car up. When I get down there I realize it has PPF, tint, rubber floor mats (including trunk and frunk), a well done skin over the dash and interior panels, sun shade, roadside hazard kit, J1772 adapter, lifetime premium connectivity, and brand new tires (car has 30k miles when I get it). This car was someone’s pride and joy I have no idea why they sold it to a Chevy dealer but I’m glad they did.

They get at least 10 calls about the car while I’m there finalizing the deal. Apparently they had just put it online the day before and by dumb luck I found it 10 minutes later and called them. I drove it 500 miles home that morning and the rest is history.

That's such amazing luck you had!

Last edited:

I find that Model 3s come either as late afternoon Friday cars, or mid-week cars. Some people just have a lot of issues with theirs and the car will forever have issues while others will just have a nicely built car that will last forever. It seems your is the latter so do you really want to risk getting a Friday afternoon Tesla :D

Does anyone have a link to that spreadsheet that compared all the acceleration times between LR, LR+Boost, Performance and all with/without rollouts?

I thought I saved it but can’t find it for the life of me right now. Thank you!

Found it!

Post in thread 'How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?'
How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?
If you look at that table, you can see the performance's advantage clearly dies off. The info applies pretty well to the MY as well. It was the reason for the Y I went with the LR version rather than performance. Well that and the crappy ride and super heavy wheels. It is also the reason I went with the M3 LR rather than the P.

If you look at the 1/8th mile to 1/4 mile and subtract the 1/8th from the 1/4, you will see the LR covers the last 1/8th slightly more quickly and gains more speed. While the time difference isn't huge, keep in mind the P is going faster at the 1/8th mile and in effect has a 2 mph head start on the rest of the 1/4 mile.

M3LR covers the last 1/8th in 4.17 seconds and gains 21.74 mph whereas the M3P covers it in 4.19 and gains 20.75 mph. With the P you are just getting that initial punch off the line to about 25-30 mph. For me that isn't worth another 8k and to get wheels I'd have to sell anyway. Unlike most performance models from other companies, the higher performance cars will continue to pull the lower spec cars by more the faster you go. Basically Tesla gives you a boost off the line and then it flames out. It never extends the gap it creates at the beginning. It gets a car or so off the line and never pulls away. Awesome if your life is spent launching the car hard from every stop light but you'll likely never notice a difference between a boosted LR and a 3/Y Performance model once rolling.

Even adding the boost is very similar to the base LR but it does keep pulling away from the base at higher speeds.

Attachments

• 1646877404191.png
    1646877404191.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 33
So that'd put the BMW at #4, behind both the NON performance Model 3 with boost by about 1/10th 0-60, and several tenths in the 1/4 mile... and WELL behind the actual Performance Model 3. (we're ignoring the 2-door or size/space factors, since there was a vette on the list anyway)

The as-tested price DOES manage to come in at "only" $58,995 though so congrats on at least making the list :)

As to the Supra, they claim 3.7 in the story, but then in the actual specs they list 3.8 (and again a 1/4 in the 12s- keeping the old joke about Supras alive and well) so.... I suppose that does, barely, beat the non-boosted LR AWD....well behind the boosted one, and over 20% slower than the performance model 3....but yup, does make the under-60k list.

So to be clear I appreciate the updates for the list, but neither is really "close" to the #s the P puts down... they're not even quite as good as the non-P with boost

Updated list:

Vehicles under 4.0 0-60 and under $60,000:

1. C8 base corvette at ~3 flat (ahead of #2 using 1/4 mile as tiebreaker)
2. Tesla Model 3 Performance at ~3 flat
3. Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with boost ~3.5
4. BMW M240i at ~3.6
5. Audi RS3 at ~3.7
6. Toyota Supra 5th gen at ~3.8
7. Tesla model 3 LR AWD without boost ~3.9

If you're willing to go up another 5-10k you can get a Hellcat or a Camaro ZL1 that'll run similar 0-60s to the middle Tesla on the list.
Isn't the LR without boost 4.1s?

Welp, the price change last night just forced my hand into ordering a Performance.

The time I spent comparing LR w/boost to Performance ended up in the financial gap getting smaller. Model 3/Y LR went up in price along with Model Y Performance. Model 3 Performance might follow suit soon enough.