Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
App says Supercharging was 46% of 7042 kWh over the last year (well over 20k miles). [Although most of my miles are road trips, a fair amount of charging is at campgrounds, which reduces Supercharging.]

That works out to 3239 kWh of free Supercharging. If I guess at a cost of 42 cents/kWh for Supercharging, that comes to $1361 saved. For just one typical year.

So, FUSC has some value to me. But a big part is just the knowledge that when I set out on a road trip the fuel cost is zero. My old S-60 has 159k miles on it. I've thought about a newer car but it is tough to give up FUSC.

doesn't free unlimited supercharging also go with free lifetime internet connectivity? i have both and many things can be installed aftermarket like dashcams instead of Sentry, upgraded front bumper or at least an upgraded nosecone.

doesn't free unlimited supercharging also go with free lifetime internet connectivity? i have both and many things can be installed aftermarket like dashcams instead of Sentry, upgraded front bumper or at least an upgraded nosecone.
No that I know of. For vehicles before 2019, all got lifetime connectivity, but sometime around then, they dropped the option. The first Model 3s had lifetime connectivity, but not Supercharging.

I would be less inclined to trade in my car because of it, yes. If my car gets in an accident and written off I would have a tough decision to make.

The odd part is in a few years there will be some old high mileage Tesla's out there, where some cheap people will be buying them for less than $20,000 and charging 100% of the time at superchargers.
i just got home solar and that's what helped me decide to get a Tesla. the free internet connectivity and supercharging is a bonus when i go on trips though.

Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd give up my free supercharging.

Before I retired I was saving an average of $300/month on SC fees. Now that I'm retired and living on the road full time towing with my S. Free charging (gas) is something I don't have to worry about putting in the budget.
I think as time progresses and EV's become more common, people will broadly start to recognise the true value and rareity of free SC. No one will ever offer this again. I think the free SC, will def add to resale value in the future - just not yet

Reactions: dbldwn02 and Nepats
I think as time progresses and EV's become more common, people will broadly start to recognise the true value and rareity of free SC. No one will ever offer this again. I think the free SC, will def add to resale value in the future - just not yet
I think it will come and go as demand ebbs and flows. FUSC probably won't be a thing but 1-2 years or 2500-5000k miles will likely be a thing if Tesla demand starts waning.

I got 2 years free charging on EA for my Ioniq and demand was super high last year. Too bad EA is garbage and I usually only charge at ChargePoint or EVgo for 35 cents/kwh.

Free SuC is offering me careless roadtrips.

If I get my hands on a 90D or 100D (current 70D model is a bit too little) it sure will stay with me for many many years...
I see you are in europe, so it might be a little bit too much in shipping cost to do, but people over here could go to 057 tech and have them update their 70s to a 100. Probably cost about the same as another car, or even less. I've met these guys in person, they are really good. Of course, you can read about Jason Hughes all over this forum and other places to see his knowledge. Anyway, might be a really good idea for some. (I am only a customer of theirs, and get nothing for promoting them. I just think they offer a great service.)

Reactions: LonelyMS
ive been contemplating this with my 2016 S75 free supercharging for life and transferrable which i received delivery on 12/2016 , the 8 years unlimited mile warranty on the battery and drive train ends on 12/2024 , once warranty ends im on my own , might start thinking upgrade to new Model S with some free supercharging hopefully they have it by then

ive been contemplating this with my 2016 S75 free supercharging for life and transferrable which i received delivery on 12/2016 , the 8 years unlimited mile warranty on the battery and drive train ends on 12/2024 , once warranty ends im on my own , might start thinking upgrade to new Model S with some free supercharging hopefully they have it by then
Don't worry about warranties the Tesla is the first of 8 cars I've owned that had a warranty. And all the stuff that was done under warranty saved me like $300. Tesla sells parts and the service manual is free it's a pretty easy car to work on as I've done many times.

Reactions: geordi
FUSC is absolutely a benefit for me, I travel for work and not having to buy fuel is an additional profit margin for my work.

As for working on the car, that's WAY easier mechanically than other vehicles - I avoid the service centers like the plague, especially for my classic S and X cars. Where you run into problems are the systems that REQUIRE toolbox access to do things, like the idiot falcon wing doors.

Too many gimmick motors in the design where they don't need to be, and everything is interconnected without any recognition that some of the components are exposed to hostile (outdoor) environments. If the 5v signal in the CANBUS is ever shorted to ground (like the parking brake motor housings crack and moisture gets in)....... The entire car's configuration crashes and it turns into a brick. THAT is a Tesla design problem rather than anything about how they work on them though.

But everything else is able to be done with a basic set of tools from Home Depot. Easy.

Reactions: henderrj
I think it will come and go as demand ebbs and flows. FUSC probably won't be a thing but 1-2 years or 2500-5000k miles will likely be a thing if Tesla demand starts waning.

I got 2 years free charging on EA for my Ioniq and demand was super high last year. Too bad EA is garbage and I usually only charge at ChargePoint or EVgo for 35 cents/kwh.

It's a value if you charge primarily at Superchargers, which not the greatest experience of an EV owner. If you charge at home, FUSC is rarely used and its value diminishes.
FUSC also tends to reinforce people to NOT install home charging points and gain the benefits.

Sure, for people in apartments, it's a different story, but EVs don't make a great story there.

It's a value if you charge primarily at Superchargers, which not the greatest experience of an EV owner. If you charge at home, FUSC is rarely used and its value diminishes.
FUSC also tends to reinforce people to NOT install home charging points and gain the benefits.

Sure, for people in apartments, it's a different story, but EVs don't make a great story there.
If you travel a lot, it adds a lot of value.
More than 55% of my charging is at SCs, with more than 35K miles you can do the math.

FUSC is a blessing and a curse for me. My first 4 years of ownership I rarely used it. Maybe several times a year for trips out of town. Then last year a supercharger station was built 1.5 miles from my house, in the same plaza as the grocery store where I shop. Now it's so convenient I do 95+% of my charging at the supercharger because it's free. Now I feel stuck with the car, how can I give up a car where I don't pay for fuel?

FUSC is a blessing and a curse for me. My first 4 years of ownership I rarely used it. Maybe several times a year for trips out of town. Then last year a supercharger station was built 1.5 miles from my house, in the same plaza as the grocery store where I shop. Now it's so convenient I do 95+% of my charging at the supercharger because it's free. Now I feel stuck with the car, how can I give up a car where I don't pay for fuel?
Similar situation for me. Several years of only supercharging on road trips but a few months ago a station was built 5 min from my work. So I’ll warm up my lunch and head over to plug in. My 75 mile round trip commute is easily covered in 30-40 min while I watch YouTube on the big screen and eat my lunch.

Reactions: LonelyMS