Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, big price difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I recently mentioned in a similar thread, I'm thrilled with my S70D, but I think I would have a hard time spending 150K on a Model S regardless of its specs. I'm sure the P100D will be a great car, but it's too similar to the way cheaper version to feel worth it for me. Probably sounds petty, but if I was able to comfortably spend that kind of money on a car, I don't want it to resemble any car that costs half as much. I guess a similar comparison would be the Mustang line. The GT350 ($60K) is so similar to the base V6 version ($25K) in appearance that it makes it less desirable to me, even if the actual performance is miles apart. The same argument could be made for a more "upscale" car and its various iterations like the 911 as well.

Looking at $150K cars, I think I would try to find a way to take it up a level and buy a Lambo or Ferrari even if it was a little "slower." If ~$150K was truly the max, I would definitely look pretty hard at a Mercedes GT AMG, Aston Martin Vantage, Mclaren 570, etc.
I'm not saying I for sure wouldn't end up with the Tesla, as I'm really not sure how to even approach that kind of car shopping. Maybe I'm romanticizing the ownership experience of those other cars a bit because I've grown up with their posters on my wall and I see/hear them when I'm lucky enough to be at a race weekend (really love sportscar/prototype racing series). If someone wants to donate $150K so I can experience it, I'll happily give it a go!

BUT What about the gas savings?!

Hadn't looked at pricing in a while. I got my P90D Insane at the end of last year for $120,000. Now, you can no longer get a 90 battery with the Performance Model and can no longer get a Performance Model without Ludicrous.

I love my P90D with Insane mode. Far more acceleration than I need and still wows the hell out of anyone that rides in it. All of them say, it's the quickest car they've ever ridden in. Thus the Ludicrous option wouldn't have changed that. I don't race the car, it was just for fun and Insane mode more than satisfies.

Apparently there were some other price increases along the way as well. Building a new P100D with the exact same options as my car now comes out to $146,000. $26,000 more to get a car that won't give me any more satisfaction than my current car already does.

It was a big stretch for me to go to $120,000 on a car. Happy I did, but was pushing it. No way in heck I would have done it for $146,000. Heck, for another $9,000 I can get a Model 3.

I think Tesla went overboard by removing the option to go with the lower battery pack size and Insane mode and likely priced a lot of people out of a Tesla. I wouldn't have bought just a 90D. The P85D/P90D Insane mode was what made the difference for me to upgrade. Had I waited a few months, they certainly would have lost a sale.

Lease payment is over $500 more for the newly configured car as well. And again, there's nothing the new car has that would benefit me more than my existing car. With superchargers every 150 miles, the extra 30 miles in range is useless to me. Not like I'd be able to skip superchargers because of the 30 miles of extra range, so no benefit there. And my passengers would still say it's the fastest car they've ever been in.

I know Tesla prices things simply because "they can", but I think this one goes over the top. I couldn't justify $10,000 for Ludicrous mode before. Now it's effectively $26,000 and you're forced to get it if you want the top of the line Model S offered.

Bad move Tesla.
That's why you won't get the car but it's not what everybody thinks

Sure you can. Just select 90D, then the P90D box that pops up below. You can't get ludicrous on the P90D now. If you want Ludicrous on the P90D you have to buy an inventory car.

Or simply take delivery on the P90D then go to the Tesla online store and unlock L for $10K. o_O

BTW, for anyone who has done the upgrade through the online store, what is the "excludes labor" that they are referring to in the description? Isn't this essentially just a software unlock upgrade?

Tesla — Ludicrous Mode P90D

Hadn't looked at pricing in a while. I got my P90D Insane at the end of last year for $120,000. Now, you can no longer get a 90 battery with the Performance Model and can no longer get a Performance Model without Ludicrous.

I love my P90D with Insane mode. Far more acceleration than I need and still wows the hell out of anyone that rides in it. All of them say, it's the quickest car they've ever ridden in. Thus the Ludicrous option wouldn't have changed that. I don't race the car, it was just for fun and Insane mode more than satisfies.

Apparently there were some other price increases along the way as well. Building a new P100D with the exact same options as my car now comes out to $146,000. $26,000 more to get a car that won't give me any more satisfaction than my current car already does.

It was a big stretch for me to go to $120,000 on a car. Happy I did, but was pushing it. No way in heck I would have done it for $146,000. Heck, for another $9,000 I can get a Model 3.

I think Tesla went overboard by removing the option to go with the lower battery pack size and Insane mode and likely priced a lot of people out of a Tesla. I wouldn't have bought just a 90D. The P85D/P90D Insane mode was what made the difference for me to upgrade. Had I waited a few months, they certainly would have lost a sale.

Lease payment is over $500 more for the newly configured car as well. And again, there's nothing the new car has that would benefit me more than my existing car. With superchargers every 150 miles, the extra 30 miles in range is useless to me. Not like I'd be able to skip superchargers because of the 30 miles of extra range, so no benefit there. And my passengers would still say it's the fastest car they've ever been in.

I know Tesla prices things simply because "they can", but I think this one goes over the top. I couldn't justify $10,000 for Ludicrous mode before. Now it's effectively $26,000 and you're forced to get it if you want the top of the line Model S offered.

Bad move Tesla.
They had fully loaded demo P90ds going for $110k 9 days ago. They were leasing them for roughly $27k for two years. Over half off I believe.

They pulled out everything last week, likely swapping the batteries.

As I recently mentioned in a similar thread, I'm thrilled with my S70D, but I think I would have a hard time spending 150K on a Model S regardless of its specs. I'm sure the P100D will be a great car, but it's too similar to the way cheaper version to feel worth it for me. Probably sounds petty, but if I was able to comfortably spend that kind of money on a car, I don't want it to resemble any car that costs half as much. I guess a similar comparison would be the Mustang line. The GT350 ($60K) is so similar to the base V6 version ($25K) in appearance that it makes it less desirable to me, even if the actual performance is miles apart. The same argument could be made for a more "upscale" car and its various iterations like the 911 as well.

I totally get this. On the one hand, I like that I can option a base model 60 almost identically to a P100D. On the flip side of that coin, since you can all of the options in that base model car, it's hard to justify the price difference as anything other than "I want to go faster". But at these differences in price, suddenly I'm putting a price tag solely on speed and literally nothing else.

The difference between a BMW 528 is interior materials, available options, stereo choices, aesthetics, etc. You can get a base model 528 and a base model M5 and even if you ignore the engine, the M5 is a substantially better car in many respects. So it's a bit easier to justify the difference in cost because you're not only getting that better drivetrain; you're getting a slew of better equipment. On the Tesla if you ignore the motors, the $42,000 difference between the 90D and the P100D represents no difference. So that $42,000 difference is solely to have a car that is faster in a straight line.

And for a lot of people that's totally worth it. For me, I have a much easier time justifying that difference when I get nicer leather or options not available in the lower trimmed cars. I couldn't check that box on a Tesla though.

Also consider that the 100D - when it comes out in a few months - will have better performance than current 90Ds. The 100D may even approach the level of performance of the non-L P90Ds out there right now and will not carry the "P" premium. The 100D might be the answer for those wanting more performance but can't quite step up to the P100D level.
Motor limits, from the smaller rear non-P motor will probably show up at 100kwh, too. More off the line, where highway roll-on of 100D will usably improve.

No C&D figures are almost always bullshit. It's just clickbait to sell more magazines. If you look at their procedures the get a time, then knock time off to 'offset' things like the 1 foot roll out. (Which is total bullshit in itself).
They follow a defined test procedure, and they are consistent about it. That means the times between cars are directly comparable. You may disagree with their test procedure, but that doesn't make it BS and hardly makes it clickbait. Its not meant to be a real world achievable time, its meant to be a tool to directly compare two cars.

Also if you recall Tesla has historically played games with the 0-60 times as well.

A bit off topic.... but if Tesla wanted some additional cash flow for the third quarter, they *could* offer the upgrades at a reduced price.
For example, upgrading the P90D to a DL for $5000 and the charger upgrade for $800. If it is just a simple software upgrade, it should be pure profit. I could see spending $5000 for the upgrade, but likely not $10,000. Just saying.... making some free cash versus not might make sense.

Reactions: Ormond
OK, I found how to price a regular P90D. My $120,000 equally equipped today is $126,000. So $6,000 more. That was $20,000 over a regular 90D. I struggled with spending $20,000 for a "feel good pedal" that I use maybe once a month!! LOL, but happy that I did. As I said in my original post, I couldn't justify the Ludicrous mode. For me, it was just about putting a smile on my face and/or getting an Oh Sh#t out of my passengers once in a while. For that purpose, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. I couldn't justify the extra $10,000 for Ludicrous mode. I worried I may regret it, but after having the car for several months and so rarely ever using it, I'm very glad I saved the $10,000.

But I do have to say, it's still a sticker shock to now see that the price is now $20,000 more, on top of the $20,000 you already spend to upgrade from a 90D to the performance model. That's $40,000, over the non-performance model. WOW!!! I know for many Tesla owner's, that's a drop in the bucket. But it does blow me a way that it's $40,000 simply to get the car to go faster, most of which is done through computer programming. Yes, you get 10 more kWh on the battery, but with the Supercharger network, not sure more range is really needed. Maybe when we get to 500 miles of range, then most people can complete a decent road trip without stopping for 40 minutes to charge. But 30 miles more in range likely doesn't move the needle in that respect for most people. Those that take a trip in a 100 likely will have to make the same stops that the rest of us do in 90's and probably the same for the 85's as well.

Anyway, just sharing this for those that may be on the fence. If your goal is like mine, just for the smile and happy passengers, trust me, you'll be more than satisfied with the regular P90D. It's still $20,000 just to get that. Probably not worth it, but I'm not complaining that I spent it. However, seeing how little I actually use it and had it to over again, I'd likely save the $40,000 and go pickup a Model 3 with that money, or pay the kid's college tuition for a while!!!

At $20,000, the price was in line with what Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc. charges for their performance models. $30,000 to step up a little more started to exceed most of those. $40,000 is certainly the highest premium there is for a performance model that I'm aware of. You do get more performance than all other cars, but what appealed to me originally about the Tesla was that the bang for the buck was there, meaning performance gained per dollar was less than most cars originally. Now it's significantly higher. Still absolutely love my P90D with Insane mode. Can't imagine having any more acceleration than I already have with it. It gives me a headache from the G-forces as it is. Certainly have no use for more power than that and still amazes the hell out of me every time I try it.

To each is own, just sharing for anyone one the fence. You'll love whatever model you go with either way.

I do have a question though. When I got my car, it was $3,000 to upgrade from the 85 to the 90. So why is it now $10,000 to upgrade from the 90 to the 100? Battery costs are coming down! Clearly this is just another of Tesla charging it "because they can". If 5 kwh was $3,000, 10 kwh should be $6,000 or less based on reduced battery costs. So the Ludicrous "computer programmed" option really is now $14,000 instead of the original $10,000 for Tesla to "flip the switch" inside your car and turn on Ludicrous mode. Again, because they can!

Last edited:
Elon says the 100 battery is "complex" so the $10,000 upgrade from P90DL to P100DL for those few customers with the car already on order may be more than just extra batteries. Also, the "L" smart fuse and contactor may be proportionally more expensive since it obviously provides even more power to the motor. And they charge more because they can and people will pay it. When the 100D is out you can revisit your question.

• Funny
Reactions: Shdhog
At $20,000, the price was in line with what Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc. charges for their performance models. $30,000 to step up a little more started to exceed most of those. $40,000 is certainly the highest premium there is for a performance model that I'm aware of. You do get more performance than all other cars,
Exactly. And you get "supercar" performance for far less than the competition (Ferrari, Porsche, etc.).

Elon has stated many times that the sales of the Model S are supporting the development of the Model 3. They need this $ now more than ever. It's not about costs of the various options. Tesla isn't selling cars at cost! The more profitable higher-spec cars are really needed right now. This is probably why they took the time away from M3 development to roll out the 100kWh pack.

Looking at $150K cars, I think I would try to find a way to take it up a level and buy a Lambo or Ferrari even if it was a little "slower." If ~$150K was truly the max, I would definitely look pretty hard at a Mercedes GT AMG, Aston Martin Vantage, Mclaren 570, etc.
I'm not saying I for sure wouldn't end up with the Tesla, as I'm really not sure how to even approach that kind of car shopping. Maybe I'm romanticizing the ownership experience of those other cars a bit because I've grown up with their posters on my wall and I see/hear them when I'm lucky enough to be at a race weekend (really love sportscar/prototype racing series). If someone wants to donate $150K so I can experience it, I'll happily give it a go!
I am the kind of buyer who can afford to purchase a 6 figure Model S but cannot afford a 6 figure Lamborghini. While I could afford to purchase the Lambo, the money spent on driving it would pain me. On top of that, my driveway is steep and would bottom out a sports car.

Bottom line: the Tesla Model S is the only supercar I can drive right now precisely because it is also practical.