Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrinkled Ultra White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my X's driver seat. And I am only a mere 65kg.
IMG_8565.JPG

A little Botox will clear that up.
Right . . . tell that to my 95 year old dad (shaking head) . . . we are a pathetic bunch - buying into the verbal vomit, "they're all like that". Not too distant from the 1960's when the tobacco industry would claim, "all cigarette companies say their products are safe" ... or, "all secretaries expect their bosses to pinch them every once in a while", or, "all 1960's car steering wheel shafts will spear you through the chest in a front end collision", or when your stupid kids say, everyone's doing it". we all just buy into it now? Man ... what's happening to us?!? Must be nice to be the only game in town.

Right . . . tell that to my 95 year old dad (shaking head) . . . we are a pathetic bunch - buying into the verbal vomit, "they're all like that". Not too distant from the 1960's when the tobacco industry would claim, "all cigarette companies say their products are safe" ... or, "all secretaries expect their bosses to pinch them every once in a while", or, "all 1960's car steering wheel shafts will spear you through the chest in a front end collision", or when your stupid kids say, everyone's doing it". we all just buy into it now? Man ... what's happening to us?!? Must be nice to be the only game in town.
Calm down now, I get what your saying but you're comparing minor deficiencies in a luxury car to things that kill you. If you own a Tesla, you have to accept the growing pains... otherwise, you'll become one of the many disgruntled members that just complain all the time - that's NOT the typical owner which is why Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction, period.

We are a pathetic bunch because we're nitpicking wrinkles in "vegan" leather... first world problems. Those with ultra white (me included) have nothing to complain about compared to the relatively poor workmanship in the actual leather interiors.

I get what you're saying ... but let's face it. Automobile upholstery quality was perfected decades ago. As for minor deficiencies in a luxury car, let's not forget the buggy aspects of AP2 / 8.1's continual fixes, not to mention this;
And yes, those are in fact safety issues. Not just talking fit & finish.
Some pay thousands for features like AP2 is supposed to offer, which means on a 3 year lease (for example) at best, you'll get to enjoy it for what ... 2 1/2 years? ... maybe? Being the only game in town, hopefully you know going into your sales transaction that there's no where else to go for a similar product. I just hope the johnny come lately manufacturer doesn't arrive until these kinds of bugs are wiped out.

I get what you're saying ... but let's face it. Automobile upholstery quality was perfected decades ago. As for minor deficiencies in a luxury car, let's not forget the buggy aspects of AP2 / 8.1's continual fixes, not to mention this;
And yes, those are in fact safety issues. Not just talking fit & finish.
Some pay thousands for features on a 3 year lease (for example) and at best, you'll get to enjoy it for what ... 2 1/2 years? ... maybe? Being the only game in town, hopefully you go in knowing there's no where else to go for a similar product. I just hope the johnny come lately manufacturer doesn't arrive until these kinds of bugs are wiped out.
Now you're conflating issues and deviating from the topic at hand. We're talking about wrinkles in synthetic seating.

I fear your next comment will compare Tesla to Hitler. Stop conflating and keep your thoughts in the appropriate discussion.

It's hardly a stretch (not a leather pun) to recognize the same lack of quality in one area transcends to others. Not such a big deal if one is buying a Chinese Coda ... but drop 6 figues for an EV, and it's a different thing.
But ok, let's just stick just to sub par quality upholstery. Take our 2016 silver Model S with GREY LEATHER (and never mind the fake white in our X);
057.JPG

And THAT level of wrinkling on the sides and edge, as well as the stretch in the seat are happened after JUST 30 MINUTES ... during the 1st drive ALMOST home, and turn around when the air suspension module (time out) failed.
calm down?
I did. We were so disgusted, we sold it immediately - willing to take the $15k loss, rather than play car rental / fix this / fix that game. But at least the X got all the way home. ok, it was my better half that insisted we give it another go ... but one can't deny we aren't giving Tesla plenty of chances to get it right, whether it's real leather, fake leather, or a PLEATHERa of other things ... pun intended.
Gotta keep one's sense of humor.

Last edited:
It's hardly a stretch (not a leather pun) to recognize the same lack of quality in one area transcends to others. Not such a big deal if one is buying a Chinese Coda ... but drop 6 figues for an EV, and it's a different thing.
But ok, let's just stick just to sub par quality upholstery. Take our 2016 silver Model S with GREY LEATHER (and never mind the fake white in our X);
View attachment 224606

And THAT level of wrinkling on the sides and edge, as well as the stretch in the seat are happened after JUST 30 MINUTES ... during the 1st drive ALMOST home, and turn around when the air suspension module (time out) failed.
calm down?
I did. We were so disgusted, we sold it immediately - willing to take the $15k loss, rather than play car rental / fix this / fix that game. But at least the X got all the way home. ok, it was my better half that insisted we give it another go ... but once can't deny we aren't giving Tesla plenty of chances to get it right, whether it's real leather, fake leather, or a PLEATHERa of other things ... pun intended.
Gotta keep one's sense of humor.
Yeah, again, this is what I'm trying to figure out... The black PUP leather in the 39xxx VIN X we just overnight demo'd looked nothing like this. I can't help thinking some vendor change has been made. Vehicle was made in March 2017 and the leather looks nothing like that, it was a lot thicker and 'flatter'. Be good to get comments from other 'current' cars with leather seats to see if this a good pattern.

Call me the eternal optimist - Tesla did poach Volvo's head of auto interiors not to many months back, so undoubtedly he'll start kicking serious AR$$'s - put those out to pasture who were responsible for prior upholstery fails.
We need a general upholstery thread.. there are a couple for White and Leather... but my theory based on my immense sample of one new car that I think had better leather; I think that he already upgraded the seat quality after having a heart attack seeing what Tesla was putting out. ;) We can dream, right?

We need a general upholstery thread.. there are a couple for White and Leather... but my theory based on my immense sample of one new car that I think had better leather; I think that he already upgraded the seat quality after having a heart attack seeing what Tesla was putting out. ;) We can dream, right?
My car came (3/30) with pre-wrinkled/creased seats from the factory.
They are going to replace them, but the wait-time is 8-12 weeks, I am told. So I can compare before and after I guess. (it's the tan leather option I have).

Hm... the car we had was produced in March, and delivery had to have been mid-April, since it had 12 miles and the plastic still on the dome light, etc. We need a newer comparison... the X delivery thread has been awful quiet after EOQ!

And back on topic, I thought the Ultrawhite was more immune to this sort of thing, being polyurethane... So, interesting.