Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X announcement on Stephen Colbert?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon does some quirky things, but missing an opportunity to show off the X to that big of an audience, and doing a wink to his previous appearance on the Late Show the S prototype, while having a host who is interested in the car (unlike Dave)... But nah, let's just have Elon fly cross-country to chat with Stephen about rockets and South Africa or something. Right-oh.

David Letterman had/has a Roadster, I believe. That why he complains about the height of the car. He is tall and the Roadster is low to the ground and hard for him to get into.

I think the Stephen Colbert appearance is a great opportunity to get positive buzz for the X. I was talking to a Model S owner at a Tesla charging station the other day and she goes "you know, I heard they're coming out with a crossover/SUV in a few years." As avid Tesla followers, we know pretty much everything about the X and it's unbelievable capabilities but 99.99% of the US (even higher percentage outside of US) aren't aware of what is about to be released. It would be so cool for them to showcase the driverless technology, amazing acceleration, range, and overall utility that Model X will offer. I know there are over 20K people already waiting for theirs to be delivered but there are many, many more who would love to buy one if they knew everything about it.

I'm guessing that any talk show host would be excited to have Elon on the show - anytime he feels the need to talk about the X publicly, he'll have plenty of platforms. And we'll all be watching.

No one is arguing that there is not a wide audience and it would be cool, only that the timing is such that it is a very remote possibility.

I'm guessing that any talk show host would be excited to have Elon on the show - anytime he feels the need to talk about the X publicly, he'll have plenty of platforms. And we'll all be watching.

No one is arguing that there is not a wide audience and it would be cool, only that the timing is such that it is a very remote possibility.

The only one I don't get is Jimmy Fallon. He loves tech and is only 40, but goes on and one about his damn big truck. It's painful to watch as he promotes that type of transportation to such a young-er audience.

I think "you know, I heard they're coming out with a crossover/SUV in a few years."
Don't know about you, but it sounds about right to me. I mean we all know "We will ask people to configure in July" means in Elon-time, right? :tongue:

Seriously though, if he goes for a reveal on Colbert, I won't be too terribly surprised. That's probably the most highly anticipated talk shows this fall (ok, the Daily Show transition is right there with it), so it will get a lot of buzz and probably a healthy increase of the average viewership during the first couple of shows.

However, i do think it would work better if they did a Founders delivery/reveal event in a week or so and then went on Colbert a few das later. Kind of generating a second round of free marketing blitz after the initial coverage

But, given how many false alarms and hope we had so far, I1ll be a pessimist and say, I see 50% chance of not having that reveal before the last week of September, at which point Elon will just explain what he meant by "asking people to configure" was only Founders. I'll give another 35% to Colbert happening a few day after the Founder deliveries/reveal and 15% he will show the final X for the first time on that show.

Is it really a good idea for Tesla to make such a high-profile reveal at this time? No need to drum up interest when you have very few to sell, and unavailability might create negative sentiment. If they're going to make a big media splash, do it when production hits its stride.

Is it really a good idea for Tesla to make such a high-profile reveal at this time? No need to drum up interest when you have very few to sell, and unavailability might create negative sentiment. If they're going to make a big media splash, do it when production hits its stride.
Exactly. Why would Tesla want to generate so much interest only to have a bunch of orders they cannot fill for 6 months? Makes no sense.

Exactly. Why would Tesla want to generate so much interest only to have a bunch of orders they cannot fill for 6 months? Makes no sense.
Very good point. Probably the exact same reason why the recent referral program is for Model S only (even though they can easily do it for Model X too). They probably have a very long backlog already for Model X.

Very good point. Probably the exact same reason why the recent referral program is for Model S only (even though they can easily do it for Model X too). They probably have a very long backlog already for Model X.

I think the big thing that we are overlooking is that not that many people know about Tesla yet or what it even is about (at least where I am from-- surprisingly). Right now it's all about the push of the mission. My suspicion is that the Model X design studio/event will be released prior to Elon going on the show. If this is the case the possibility of the X going on the show will be high, which will lead to a show that goes something like this:

1. Tesla is really cool... look at Model X and look at the "SNAKEBOT"
2. Tesla is really cool, but we are trying to go mass market (GF speak and all that)... it's not a car company but a hardcore engineering company that is trying to save the world which is why there is powerwall/pack and why it is important to get off fossil fuel with the exception of rockets... ironically...
3. Then they will talk about Elon's wingwalk in London and some how segue into SpaceX.

I'm hoping this is how it goes... and I'm hoping timing will be as follows:

A tweet about a reveal event next week some time Friday... then the 2nd week of september everything I mentioned above. One can dream.

I think the big thing that we are overlooking is that not that many people know about Tesla yet or what it even is about (at least where I am from-- surprisingly). Right now it's all about the push of the mission. My suspicion is that the Model X design studio/event will be released prior to Elon going on the show. If this is the case the possibility of the X going on the show will be high, which will lead to a show that goes something like this:

1. Tesla is really cool... look at Model X and look at the "SNAKEBOT"
2. Tesla is really cool, but we are trying to go mass market (GF speak and all that)... it's not a car company but a hardcore engineering company that is trying to save the world which is why there is powerwall/pack and why it is important to get off fossil fuel with the exception of rockets... ironically...
3. Then they will talk about Elon's wingwalk in London and some how segue into SpaceX.

I'm hoping this is how it goes... and I'm hoping timing will be as follows:

A tweet about a reveal event next week some time Friday... then the 2nd week of september everything I mentioned above. One can dream.

Damn, I hate when people make perfect sense. Since the thoughts on the script for the interview are so logical, maybe we can all click our heels, hope and wish and make the last thought come true as well