Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow/amber rear turn indicators?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NSX:

nsx-sig1.png

I want to verify that beated horse is still dead and Tesla has done nothing.
I've witnessed multiple Tesla's (S and X) here in EU and I can "verify"
that this American company does not know how to make
a) good looking rear lights (pattern when lit, not visually when inactive)
b) functional tail lights

I've hardly seen sh*ttier brake lights and amber turns (S and X, I don't expect even worse on 3).
Not just visually, they are insufficient during daytime.
Also same story with reversing lights (though I have seen that bad reversing lights before).
I've not seen rear fog lights in the fog yet. But I have nothing to hope for.

Tesla clearly, clearly, clearly, clearly.. yes... did I mention, clearly? Doesn't want good lights.
That actually applies to low beams as well. They don't even try to. Clearly.
AFAIK, Tesla doesn't even offer dual stage brake lights. There is nothing that can excuse that.

Reactions: Pkmmte
If we're talking about headlights, Tesla got it right for Model 3. They are amazing. I like the rear light pattern for my S. That's why I manually put the car in "Parking Lights" when I drive during the day, so the rear reds come on.

I want to verify that beated horse is still dead and Tesla has done nothing.
I've witnessed multiple Tesla's (S and X) here in EU and I can "verify"
that this American company does not know how to make
a) good looking rear lights (pattern when lit, not visually when inactive)
b) functional tail lights

I've hardly seen sh*ttier brake lights and amber turns (S and X, I don't expect even worse on 3).
Not just visually, they are insufficient during daytime.
Also same story with reversing lights (though I have seen that bad reversing lights before).
I've not seen rear fog lights in the fog yet. But I have nothing to hope for.

Tesla clearly, clearly, clearly, clearly.. yes... did I mention, clearly? Doesn't want good lights.
That actually applies to low beams as well. They don't even try to. Clearly.
AFAIK, Tesla doesn't even offer dual stage brake lights. There is nothing that can excuse that.

Surprised at some of this, at least the part about rear brake and turn signals. Although i would prefer amber turn lamps here in the US, my observation of the rear lamps on Tesla cars i have encountered in traffic is that the brake and turn lamps are very bright in daylight. Seem so, anyway. Maybe the European amber lamps are less bright?

And pardon my ignorance, what are dual stage brake lights? I do not think I have seen or heard of such a thing here in the US. Am I "out of the loop" on something new?

Reactions: Runt8
And pardon my ignorance, what are dual stage brake lights? I do not think I have seen or heard of such a thing here in the US. Am I "out of the loop" on something new?

It appears to be brake lights that do something flashier when you brake extra hard. I've seen some cars strobe their brake lights before they go solid, but I think that's just to get your attention that the car is starting to slow down. Haven't seen for myself the 2-stage braking in action on the roads.

Yea. This is activated when vehicle deceleration exceeds certain limit or traction limit has been reached (even medium braking on slippery surfaces will trigger that if ABS intervenes).
Also hazards switch on if vehicle stops after heavy braking.

Both features are extremely helpful at avoiding accidents (helped me avoid rear ending couple times).
Especially helpful in situations where vehicle in front braked softly (for many seconds) and then transitioned to very heavy braking.
Looking from behind it looks like nothing changed. Until you approach at very high velocity.

I've heard that latest tech blinks brakes force before driver acts to warn potential emergency situation for vehicles following.

That's why I manually put the car in "Parking Lights" when I drive during the day, so the rear reds come on.
Doesn't that disable DRL's (and make them parking lights, not visible appropriately/legally in the daytime)?
There is some weirdness going on with DRL's. Most vehicles disable rear tails when DRL is activated. But not BMW.
BMW switches off license plate light but leaves beautiful tail lights glowing with even more gorgeous front DRL's.

Doesn't that disable DRL's (and make them parking lights, not visible appropriately/legally in the daytime)?
There is some weirdness going on with DRL's. Most vehicles disable rear tails when DRL is activated. But not BMW.
BMW switches off license plate light but leaves beautiful tail lights glowing with even more gorgeous front DRL's.

The DRLs are controlled by a dedicated button in the UI for Model S. And I have it set to on permanently. When I go to parking lights, the DRLs do not dim.

I tested this with Model 3, which does not have a dedicated DRL control, and it did indeed dim when I put on the parking lights. So I will not be doing the same thing with my 3.

• Informative
Reactions: arnis
Even though I am a fan of amber turn signals, I have to say that I have been pleased at how visible the rear turn signals seem to be on Model S. I have been behind or near enough of them now that I think the red ones may be OK.

But --There are some comments above about the "area" requirement in US codes being the reason that Tesla cannot (easily) use amber signals. If so, that must be a fairly recent requirement, because I certainly see a lot of recent-looking cars by other manufacturers that have what seem to be very small turn signals. Just a casual observation -- not measured.

Even though I am a fan of amber turn signals, I have to say that I have been pleased at how visible the rear turn signals seem to be on Model S. I have been behind or near enough of them now that I think the red ones may be OK.

But --There are some comments above about the "area" requirement in US codes being the reason that Tesla cannot (easily) use amber signals. If so, that must be a fairly recent requirement, because I certainly see a lot of recent-looking cars by other manufacturers that have what seem to be very small turn signals. Just a casual observation -- not measured.

The problem isn’t visibility. It’s about being able to differentiate between a turn signal and a brake light when you only have one light to go on. Imagine that you’re overtaking a car and get one brief flash of a light on the tail light nearest you and you can’t see their other tail light or high mount brake because the car behind them is so close. If it’s a red flash you don’t know if they’re changing lanes or tapping their brakes. These things matter, especially to more vulnerable road users like motorcyclists and bicyclists.

They should be different colors and Tesla should be ashamed to be using a demonstrably less-safe solution. Furthermore they have to use amber for nearly every other region in the world so they actually added complexity to their production just to make things less safe in the name of bad design. Great work.