Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've given in - I'm paying to have the screen replaced with the -C revision, which they say 'will resolve the issue'. Really grates on me in a way, because the car is again, under 6 months old, and here I am shelling out for in-warranty repairs due to a failure of something that's absolutely no fault of my own.

But I do not believe that these mirrors and magic tricks will fix the problem.

So. Fanboys will be glad that I'm tithing to the company to support the mission, while others can be angry that I gave in and affirmed that Tesla can charge for repairs, on new cars, of items that should be in warranty.

Maybe this is a trend. Maybe when the automatic handles stop working that'll be handwaved as something I have to pay for, too.

Either way, the confidence damage is done and can't really be fixed by Tesla at this point at least on my end. So it goes.

Well said. Deciding to charge customers (especially your high-end customers) for a blatant defect on a car under warranty just speaks to gross mismanagement and incompetence. Sure, maybe they'll save a few bucks now but they are doing tremendous damage to their reputation. The only possible justification I could see for this is if they were in imminent danger of bankruptcy and trying everything in a desperate attempt to save money. That's not the case given that they just received 2 billion from investors, so I'm going with management incompetence.

Yes, let's all cut off our noses to spite our faces!

:rolleyes:
I'm not quite sure that's the phrase you're looking for....

If the only way that we can get Tesla to do the right thing is by everyone affected to come together to address the issue as one entity rather than an individual here and there kicking off at the service centers who are not empowered to do anything, then why not?

I don’t think it’s acceptable to leave as-is. I think they’re working on a financially viable solution and should be given the time to develop it, even if it’s not perfect in the end.

I also don’t think it’s necessary for purchases to be considered a tithe, or that inexcusable service and communications should be excused. My post history should speak pretty strongly to that point. But I’m also a pragmatist - I’d rather have a yellow screen and a company that is still in existence in 5 years to support the rest of the car than a crystal white panel that I’m completely on my own with.

I’m not intending to be hyperbolic. I really do believe Tesla as a company is on the brink of existence as we know it and that is going to mean some hard decisions in the short term.
If Tesla's future viability is so tenuous that it hinges on whether or not to replace these defective screens, then the company will go under one way or the other.

Tesla coming tomorrow to replace mine. They are 3.5 hours away doing a mobile service call. I'll update tomorrow with what happened.
So we haven't heard from you yet. Let me guess, like some of us here you got a last minute call from mobile saying that they can't do the replacement because, a) they just found out the replacement screens aren't the new ones and will yellow in a short period of time too, b) they'll do it, but it will cost you $1,300 and they're 'so sorry' about the charge or c) they can't do it because there will be an upcoming software/UV/whatever fix coming down the pike.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
They're getting very adamant and, the last person I talked to (livechat) was rather rude about it. "You have no other options." / "Nothing else will be done." / "This is our position and it will not be changing." - then she pointed me to 'tesla.com/findus' and disconnected from me.

It looks like I'll be paying for a replacement on Tuesday but it's hard to comprehend how they can act annoyed at the customer over this problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
So we haven't heard from you yet. Let me guess, like some of us here you got a last minute call from mobile saying that they can't do the replacement because, a) they just found out the replacement screens aren't the new ones and will yellow in a short period of time too or b) they'll do it, but it will cost you $1,300 and they're 'so sorry'.

Heh, the thing is, I've found out: if you offer to pay (which I have) they are certain that 'this is the part that resolves the yellowing problem'. Curious, huh? Amazing.

Apparently replacements at cost or for free are at the 'discretion of the service center manager'. (quote: 'the service center manager has made a decision and you may not escalate above that.') - So basically it's all about the SC manager's whim, and if you luck out or get him/her on a bad day, (as is my case) too bad, too sad.

Reactions: hpartsch
Crazy to think that Model S/X are flagship vehicles and yet, even their newer replacement touchscreens for it are of inferior quality when compared to Model 3. Come to think of it, Model S/X get the short end of the stick even on software feature front. Two critical safety features, Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance got pushed to Model 3 first and we're just left hanging!

Crazy to think that Model S/X are flagship vehicles and yet, even their newer replacement touchscreens for it are of inferior quality when compared to Model 3. Come to think of it, Model S/X get the short end of the stick even on software feature front. Two critical safety features, Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance got pushed to Model 3 first and we're just left hanging!

Yeah, this whole thing is pretty souring. I hope somehow at the last minute they turn this around and do the right thing (The prioritization of 3 so -drastically- does bother me, but really this almost 'angry service' about the yellow border is a real bad precedent so early into owning the car.)

IF anyone from Tesla is reading here, please reconsider this position ... I get it, y'all are in cost cutting mode, but you're alienating customers and their possible referrals too... I basically live in an EV-only household; and there have been conversations about this, looking at Tesla going forward...

Reactions: P100D_Me
So, I've given in - I'm paying to have the screen replaced with the -C revision, which they say 'will resolve the issue'. Really grates on me in a way, because the car is again, under 6 months old, and here I am shelling out for in-warranty repairs due to a failure of something that's absolutely no fault of my own.
I've set my screen to night mode, I'm living with it until a solid decision has been made by Tesla on who wears the cost while the car is still in warranty, the way they work it could all change next month again. Plus we need time to see if these 'C' revision screens actually last before paying for it yourself.
I also look at it this way, the price these cars were sold for (particularly overseas) was very high, there was a lot of profit in there, they should be able to absorb some of the costs to get these screens fixed.
I think some owners would probably be willing to cover labour costs and pay Tesla's buy price for the screens, but it seems there is a massive mark up on them. That is what stinks, we won't cover your screen under warranty and then we are going to profit from you as well.

Reactions: St Charles
Wait to see what it is before complaining. Too much speculation.
When is it coming? How long do you think is reasonable? A week, a month, a year, a decade? They claim they have parts which don't have this problem, it's time to fix the cars under warranty. They can keep the old parts for remanufacturing however long it takes them to figure it out.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
Heh, the thing is, I've found out: if you offer to pay (which I have) they are certain that 'this is the part that resolves the yellowing problem'. Curious, huh? Amazing.

Apparently replacements at cost or for free are at the 'discretion of the service center manager'. (quote: 'the service center manager has made a decision and you may not escalate above that.') - So basically it's all about the SC manager's whim, and if you luck out or get him/her on a bad day, (as is my case) too bad, too sad.
Interestingly I was told they’d do it if I paid for it, but they were certain that screen would yellow too within a short time.

• Informative
Reactions: N..8
When I talked with my SC here in NC great group of people they said they are waiting on the machine to show up so they can starting doing the fix on the screen (Jun/July) time frame. He also stated they were not replacing screens until this other fix was put into place first and tried. I think everyone needs to relax on this and stop worrying so much. If the fix doesn't work and the yellow comes back it's too big of an issue for them not to replace them.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
When I talked with my SC here in NC great group of people they said they are waiting on the machine to show up so they can starting doing the fix on the screen (Jun/July) time frame. He also stated they were not replacing screens until this other fix was put into place first and tried. I think everyone needs to relax on this and stop worrying so much. If the fix doesn't work and the yellow comes back it's too big of an issue for them not to replace them.
And by when exactly will this be happening? You can't say "relax bacause Tesla says some day unknown day in the future we might have a fix". Do you think Tesla would relax the same way if the customer would tell them they are having problems paying for the car, but Tesla should relax because they are trying something with no deadlines?

What would happen if you just ask the service center to fix the defective screen? Obviously, they can't tell you they don't have a non-defective part because they are selling cars with screens that presumably don't yellow any more. The warranty should most certainly FIX this issue and not cover it up. The yellowing needs to be physically removed. Aren't they legally obliged to honor the warranty?

I understand Tesla is going through a tough quarter or two. I just wish they would come out and say that all yellowed screens will be REPLACED with a non-defective part in Q4 after they've had some breathing room. The only solution I would consider to be acceptable is one that matches the non yellowed out screen of a new car. Cars that are just months old have displays with yellow borders.

If their "solution" is to yellow out the rest of the screen with UV exposure, and then change the color rendering on the screen to me that is not a solution asit is adding insult to injury.

I want Tesla to have the time to solve this but I want an actual hardware solution to a hardware problem with a non yellow screen and not some BS "solution" as has been suggested by some of the talk about a software fix.