Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yes!!! Enhanced summon is on its way.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious to learn more about R*/A* algorithm. Can you tell me a bit more about what it is and how it relates to enhanced summon? Thanks.
They're 2 algorithms or 'concepts' used in computing. A* is an evolution of Dijkstra's original shortest path algorithm, used by both games and most existing navigation software. It assumes prior knowledge of all aspects of the terrain to be navigated and an ideal world without pedestratians and other cars. It is only of minor relevance in the use case of autonomously navigating a road or parking lot.

R* refers to a method for indexing (geo)spatial information in a way that makes it accessible/usable for other algorithms to operate on. While likely a very relevant foundation for how EAP/FSD works in Tesla's software it is not even remotely a good-to-go solution for autonomously navigating a road or parking lot.

So, both are very low level building blocks for the pretty phenomenal software Tesla builds on top of them, and the poster you're responding to is just a troll. He's more or less saying it's not impressive if one can run 100m in 6 seconds because humans have had legs for thousands of years.

They're 2 algorithms or 'concepts' used in computing. A* is an evolution of Dijkstra's original shortest path algorithm, used by both games and most existing navigation software. It assumes prior knowledge of all aspects of the terrain to be navigated and an ideal world without pedestratians and other cars. It is only of minor relevance in the use case of autonomously navigating a road or parking lot.

R* refers to a method for indexing (geo)spatial information in a way that makes it accessible/usable for other algorithms to operate on. While likely a very relevant foundation for how EAP/FSD works in Tesla's software it is not even remotely a good-to-go solution for autonomously navigating a road or parking lot.

So, both are very low level building blocks for the pretty phenomenal software Tesla builds on top of them, and the poster you're responding to is just a troll. He's more or less saying it's not impressive if one can run 100m in 6 seconds because humans have had legs for thousands of years.

Thanks. That was very informative and helpful.

(And yeah, I know bladder is a troll)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Considering that Enhanced Summon is limited to 2 mph AFAIK, I don't think there is much risk of an accident. After all, how much damage do you think your car will get at 2 mph?

I'd be less concerned about the Tesla running into something than someone else running into the Tesla and freaking out there is no one in the car. :D I could see that becoming complicated determining who is at fault, particularly if the police show up and they have no idea the car can drive itself.

I'd be less concerned about the Tesla running into something than someone else running into the Tesla and freaking out there is no one in the car. :D I could see that becoming complicated determining who is at fault, particularly if the police show up and they have no idea the car can drive itself.

That reminds me of a gag I played on a friend. They did not know about Summon. One day, I told them to get in the back seat of my Model 3 and then instead of getting in right away, I stood behind them out of view and summoned the car forward a few feet. My friend totally freaked out as the car started moving forward with no one in the driver's seat. HA HA.

I bet folks are going to freak out when they see Tesla's moving around a parking lot with nobody inside. It might be an issue to educate law enforcement too so that they can know how to handle an accident in that case.

Reactions: TT97 and MTSN
That reminds me of a gag I played on a friend. They did not know about Summon. One day, I told them to get in the back seat of my Model 3 and then instead of getting in right away, I stood behind them out of view and summoned the car forward a few feet. My friend totally freaked out as the car started moving forward with no one in the driver's seat. HA HA.

I bet folks are going to freak out when they see Tesla's moving around a parking lot with nobody inside. It might be an issue to educate law enforcement too so that they can know how to handle an accident in that case.

Sorry but I am 100% going to steal that trick from you :D

Hahaha, I did the same to my father-in-law, an old-school "car guy." He was in the front seat, with my wife and his grandson in the back. Car started moving forward and he freaked out, started yelling, and ultimately grabbed the wheel. It was priceless. If only the internal camera was recording...

The only thing Tesla is liable for is if a non-beta item fails and causes damage or injury. - Especially if you didn't have to agree to be responsible to turn it on ( as we do now ).

Cars are insured, yes, but there’s a big difference between the amount a party pays (via deductible, insurance premium increase, etc.) by being at fault in an accident vs. not being at fault.

I’m not trying to say Tesla is going to replace your insurance company, nor should you have to “double pay” for insurance, but if a non-beta autonomous feature causes damage to property, Tesla would be the at-fault party in this case.

Should Tesla actually get to Level 4/5 autonomy quicker than most competitors, and if the Tesla Network comes to fruition, I'd imagine they'd have to trailblaze both in terms of insurance as well as form an Uber-style division to handle TN activities. But I'm not convinced they'll get there that much faster than anyone else, so insurance companies will probably evolve alongside.

Cars are insured. Period.

If you park your car on a hill and the brakes fail and it hits something....then your insurance pays. I have full coverage and my insurance company knows that I own a driverless car. I have already spoken to them numerous times about driverlessness.

I don't want my car double insured. I don't want to pay for that.

Tesla has got to keep their prices down - the competition is trying to emerge.

The only thing Tesla is liable for is if a non-beta item fails and causes damage or injury. - Especially if you didn't have to agree to be responsible to turn it on ( as we do now ).

Really--meme-31817.jpg

So if your Tesla were to kill a pedestrian today, then your insurance will take care of all the potential criminal and civil charges/lawsuits?

• Funny
Reactions: T-Will
I am curious to learn more about R*/A* algorithm. Can you tell me a bit more about what it is and how it relates to enhanced summon? Thanks.

You can play with it here.

Unity WebGL Player | SelfDrivingCar

Then all you have to do is add a few rules (such as don't hit other objects or don't cross parking lines, etc) as you see in the Nutonomy talk at 54 mins and the end result is a automated parking valet system as nutonomy demoed.

For all the juicy technical details

blog.Habrador.com: Explaining the Hybrid A Star pathfinding algorithm for selfdriving cars
blog.Habrador.com: Hardcore pathfinding for self-driving cars

Now I'm not saying that Tesla uses a variant of A* / R* search algorithm but that since their current AP1/AP2+ is based on classical control algorthms. I'm sure their enhanced summon is definitely using a variant of the same.

Last edited:
Cars are insured, yes, but there’s a big difference between the amount a party pays (via deductible, insurance premium increase, etc.) by being at fault in an accident vs. not being at fault.

I’m not trying to say Tesla is going to replace your insurance company, nor should you have to “double pay” for insurance, but if a non-beta autonomous feature causes damage to property, Tesla would be the at-fault party in this case.

What do ICE manufacturers do?

Do they provide a level of insurance?

What do ICE manufacturers do?

Do they provide a level of insurance?
As far as I know automakers do not purchase liability insurance. There have been numerous cases where they have been held liable for defective/dangerous products. The kid you hit while using smart summon won’t have clicked through an end user license agreement. You can get bet that Tesla will be a defendent in the lawsuit.

As far as I know automakers do not purchase liability insurance. There have been numerous cases where they have been held liable for defective/dangerous products. The kid you hit while using smart summon won’t have clicked through an end user license agreement. You can get bet that Tesla will be a defendent in the lawsuit.

I doubt Tesla will be a defendant in anything because you don't have to use the product.

You assume liability when you accept the "turn on".

Tesla isn't forcing ANYONE to used these features.

Its a "use at YOUR own risk".

That's the definition of beta IMO.

Reactions: 1375mlm
I doubt Tesla will be a defendant in anything because you don't have to use the product.

You assume liability when you accept the "turn on".

Tesla isn't forcing ANYONE to used these features.

Its a "use at YOUR own risk".

That's the definition of beta IMO.

Yeah in the real world it doesn't work that way. Plenty of people have successfully sued after signing disclaimers.

Yeah in the real world it doesn't work that way. Plenty of people have successfully sued after signing disclaimers.

You can sue anyone you want. I've been sued....but no one has ever won their lawsuit against me.

Lets wait and see.

I can almost guarantee you that there won't be a winning lawsuit against Tesla.

Just like with autopilot......

You push the button to use it at your own risk / your own liability. Just like with any other car.