Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You all have about talked me out of a Tesla altogether...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I was going to purchase a M3P in a year or so (waiting for Project Highland at a minimum) so I found this forum to learn and be around a bunch of other Tesla enthusiasts. After reading the posts I'm now leaning towards a 2024 BMW 5 series.

I was/am most excited about FSD. I don't think anyone else comes close to Tesla in this regard. But after reading what feels like a constant stream of threads regarding issues with Tesla vehicles in general I'm concerned that this not worth the hassle. Everything from battery degradation, paint issues, fit and finish issues (I mean there's check lists on things to go over when you receive the car because of all the issues), problems getting service, issues with random errors, etc. I'm wondering I should just purchase 5 series.

I know that people tend to complain on forums versus the people who are happy not generally posting and I'm hoping that's what this is.

Honestly, I would have thought asking on this forum would have been like asking on MacRumors if I should be an iPhone of some android version but judging by the posts, maybe not?

Any unbiased thoughts / comments would be appreciated... am I just reading too much into all the negative posts and these are a small percentage relative to the actual number of vehicles sold? Or am I going to be constantly dealing with minor issues from the car?
Only you can know what you want. You've given no explanation of what you're looking for, so how do you expect anyone to answer? I think it would be an utter waste of anyone's time. Teslas aren't for everyone.

Aaanndd.. As much as I hate to say this, there are very definitely anti-Tesla trolls on this forum. I don't hang out on all the threads, but, for the few that I do (in particular, the FSD-Beta forum), it's pretty blamed obvious.

Stock price zips up? The trolls take over about how baaaddd FSD is. Remember, it's a Beta, and people using it are beta testers. It's kind of expected that there'll be bugs; kind of, what does one expect? The trollish types zip around claiming that everything is broken; then, after a bit, the saner members of the forum go, "Hey, what?!?", and the trolls disappear for a bit. Then come back.

The trolls walk a fine line, though: If they got really bad, the moderators would dump them.

In any case: At the household here we've got a Model 3 (2018 vintage) and a Model Y (2021 vintage). We like both cars just fine. On long-distance drives TACC/LK work like a champ, the cars are quiet and pretty reliable. Even now, with all sorts of BEV competition showing up, on a feature-by-feature and totality basis, the Teslas still beat out the competition.
This is true (largely due to the misalignment between what the CEO has said over the years vs. reality). Likewise, there is no shortage of misguided FSD zealots in those threads as well.

Reactions: rpiotro
Again, thanks for all the responses. Truly does help with the decision and over all some great points and advice. Perhaps I could have gone into more detail as to what I was looking for exactly in a car but all-in-all you all did a great job covering for what I was looking for. It's disappointing to hear about the FSD not being maybe as good as I was under the impression (there are some videos out there that essentially make it look like a 90% solution). That being said BMW's systems (which I am familiar with and have used (2022 BMW X5) isn't much to write home about and presumably, even with all it's flaws, Tesla is still light years ahead of that.

I do travel but my rule of thumb is that I fly anything over 4 hours. So I don't project to many EV/range issues.

I would like almost all of these posts but apparently I"m too new to do so. Thanks again for those that took the time to respond!

Reactions: jebinc and Abraham
I have a 2018 Model 3 with almost 30,000 miles on it. I have the upper control arms and a cracked rear glass replaced under warranty. I have put some money into it....a new 12 battery last summer before a road trip from Wisconsin to Tennessee, 4 air filters (one per year), some windshield washer fluid and brake service (check the brake fluid and clean and lubricate the brake calipers (salty roads in the winter up here.) I bought snow tires and wheels and am still run both of the original set. I love the fact that I can drive by gas stations all year to charge at home. (My wife does not appreciate gassing up her Subaru when it's 0º out.) As I said, it's been 4 years and I STILL get excited every time I get in the car to drive. I love the fact music played sounds amazing and doesn't have to be turned up to be heard over a noisy engine and transmission. I can't imagine going back to an ICE car again.

Hi everyone,
I was going to purchase a M3P in a year or so (waiting for Project Highland at a minimum) so I found this forum to learn and be around a bunch of other Tesla enthusiasts. After reading the posts I'm now leaning towards a 2024 BMW 5 series.

I was/am most excited about FSD. I don't think anyone else comes close to Tesla in this regard. But after reading what feels like a constant stream of threads regarding issues with Tesla vehicles in general I'm concerned that this not worth the hassle. Everything from battery degradation, paint issues, fit and finish issues (I mean there's check lists on things to go over when you receive the car because of all the issues), problems getting service, issues with random errors, etc. I'm wondering I should just purchase 5 series.

I know that people tend to complain on forums versus the people who are happy not generally posting and I'm hoping that's what this is.

Honestly, I would have thought asking on this forum would have been like asking on MacRumors if I should be an iPhone of some android version but judging by the posts, maybe not?

Any unbiased thoughts / comments would be appreciated... am I just reading too much into all the negative posts and these are a small percentage relative to the actual number of vehicles sold? Or am I going to be constantly dealing with minor issues from the car?
I’ve had my M3LR for 3 years and absolutely love it. No paint or fit/finish issues, (pretty) good service from my local SC. I‘d buy it again in a heartbeat. Keep in mind, unhappy people are generally the loudest people! 😎

Reactions: Dan1978
Hi everyone,

The purpose of this forum, like all forums, is to learn from people’s experiences - good and/or bad. The reality about this forum, like all others, is that people generally go to them to sus out their problems. YOU will observe, thought there is a far low(est) percentage of people, who write to gush about the product.

We have a 2017 S 100 and a 2018 3 LR. Both purchased new.

The S had the infotainment upgrade 2 years ago and a new 12v battery this year (done in my garage for $225). Seams like there was one other thing, but I do t recall what it was.

The 3 had a new 12v battery at year 3 (covered) and no other issues.

My 1995 bmw m3 was flawless.
My 2012 330ci had all sorts of minor problems, most came up after the service bulletin expired (coils, water pump, rear frame). (Pretty sure it was a 2012, don’t remember for sure)

M3P is an amazing car. It fits like a glove, feels amazing to drive, sweet little rocket ship.

Battery degradation? Tesla is the best of any EV ever built, and likely will stay that way for the next 5-10 years. The power train is the core of Tesla, and unmatched by anyone for durability.

I suspect Porsche and Mercedes are not far behind, but the history is not there yet.

You might replace any maintenance cost with the cost of tires, mine only lasted 15k miles on our LR Y, and I don't drive crazy (as far as my wife knows). GET THE 3P, you will love it!

I think of the quirks, like the extra light front hood that you have to carefully close to avoid denting it, doors that slam hard with the windows open, like a quirk on a super car. Part of the price of admission is learning all the quirks, and taking pride in your expertise. Ferraris had cables in the door to open the latch, sheesh, we can learn a bit about best charging practice and closing the hood. (Only charge to 60% daily, unless you need more range, or you want that extra 1/10 of a second speed, then go to 90-100 before long trips, and have fun!)

(I have become addicted to the WOT electric whine off the line, like I used to love the exhaust note of my turbo diesel spooling up. It sounds like the future.)

Again, thanks for all the responses. Truly does help with the decision and over all some great points and advice. Perhaps I could have gone into more detail as to what I was looking for exactly in a car but all-in-all you all did a great job covering for what I was looking for. It's disappointing to hear about the FSD not being maybe as good as I was under the impression (there are some videos out there that essentially make it look like a 90% solution). That being said BMW's systems (which I am familiar with and have used (2022 BMW X5) isn't much to write home about and presumably, even with all it's flaws, Tesla is still light years ahead of that.

I do travel but my rule of thumb is that I fly anything over 4 hours. So I don't project to many EV/range issues.

I would like almost all of these posts but apparently I"m too new to do so. Thanks again for those that took the time to respond!

Best advice here- rent one for a week, so you can see exactly what it is and how it works. One day is not sufficient, you need to get past the initial shock of things being different. You can pretty easily rent via Hertz now, but you should use Turo instead, and find someone who either has FSD or is OK with letting you pay for a one-month trial.

Be a tad pricey, maybe $500 or so, but it's a $50,000 purchase you plan to keep for years. Do your homework. Only a direct trial will answer your questions, for you, and what you expect. No point in risking years of buyer's remorse when you can easily try it in advance.

But after reading what feels like a constant stream of threads regarding issues with Tesla vehicles in general I'm concerned that this not worth the hassle.
As others said, you’re experiencing “sample bias” - many forum topics address issues that are relatively rare. Several of the most protective parents I know are Pediatricians. Their training and practices expose them to large numbers of children with significant injuries.

If they see a child walking along the top of a low wall, they panic as they recall cases with broken bones. Everywhere they look they envision the worst possible outcomes, since they’ve seen them.

Also, Tesla has excellent feedback from vehicles and field staff. Its agile practices introduce dozens of improvements on the production line every week. Thus many problems you read about are resolved in the new vehicle you would purchase.

No other volume manufacturer has such practices and velocity.

We have a 2017 S 100 and a 2018 3 LR. Both purchased new.

The S had the infotainment upgrade 2 years ago and a new 12v battery this year (done in my garage for $225). Seams like there was one other thing, but I do t recall what it was.

The 3 had a new 12v battery at year 3 (covered) and no other issues.

My 1995 bmw m3 was flawless.
My 2012 330ci had all sorts of minor problems, most came up after the service bulletin expired (coils, water pump, rear frame). (Pretty sure it was a 2012, don’t remember for sure)
My 2002 E46 330Ci went up in flames, my 2002 E46 M3 almost went up in flames ( knew the symptoms and caught it in time - just slight dash damage and bad smell for a while )

Known issue on all E46's that BMW refused to acknowledge and recall

E46 M3's were absolutely blast and by many accounts best M3's ever built. Ever since - the M's were crap and i lost interest.

My 2002 E46 330Ci went up in flames, my 2002 E46 M3 almost went up in flames ( knew the symptoms and caught it in time - just slight dash damage and bad smell for a while )

Known issue on all E46's that BMW refused to acknowledge and recall

E46 M3's were absolutely blast and by many accounts best M3's ever built. Ever since - the M's were crap and i lost interest.

I went from an E46 325i to my TM3. I'm still on BMW forums. Auto headlight switch?

I also had the other issue that BMW refused to recall, the tail light wiring harness. I did the fix myself of running a thicker ground wire to the light board...

I sold my e46 and got my TM3, I traded in my B7 A4 and sold my truck for my TMY. I have had several MB, 1 BMW, and 1 Audi, I am happier than ever with my Teslas...

Like we said, do several demo drives and include your significant other or a family member and gauge your life with Tesla
We came from a very long history of Toyota and Jeep
Our switch was not only easy, being in the Tesla ecosystem is a positively and profoundly different experience
Different than being in a motor club or just participating in forums, but more of a modern connected experience with apps, OTA, supercharging, perfected Tesla home charging, etc
If you still need another step, do the one week rental of MY or M3
Just note with the demo and rental, you wont experience the full app as you will not own the vehicle

Hi everyone,

2018 Model 3 with 110,000 miles. Minimal 5% battery loss. A total of $350 in repair costs, (seat belt harness and control arm bushings). Still runs great. Can you name any BMW with less issues? And by the way the BMW is slower and does not handle as well if that is a priority. So I have better than BMW performance at less than Camry pricing. Your loss.

Attachments

• Model3_range.JPG
    Model3_range.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 57