Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your DS: how much info did you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I see a lot of people here sucking up to their DS, hoping for good help and info - more power to you. My car was in production for 3 weeks, just changed to in transit today. Found out today from my DS that there was a problem discovered in the QC phase after the car was produced, and that caused the delay in shipping. I guess they were between a rock and a hard place - rock being tell him his cars got a problem and we're fixing it, and hard place being keep him in the dark and let him sweat. They chose hard place. I didn't like it. But I wouldn't have liked the rock either. I'll be glad when I get my car - just hope I don't see any signs of the "problem". Overall not as good an experience purchasing as with my first Model S.

Our DS in Chicago has been terrific. We are trading in a Cadillac and he was on the case from beginning to end. We have heard from him throughout and he has been very responsive throughout production and delivery.

I noticed you are picking up at Highland Park, your end manufacturing date is the same as mine, my VIN is about 500 below yours. There is a pretty good chance you were on the same train. And my DES is MIA so I'm still in the dark for the trade in and don't even think about an estimated date. Who did you get for your DS?

My DS from Westchester has been proactive scheduling a delivery date and even provided other contact info if he wasn't available. No complaints at all.

I recognize that people want great service but I don't expect them to provide real time tracking of the train that my car is on. That seems a little over the top and I could understand why they'd be slow to respond to requests of that nature.

Service to to me is making sure all the paperwork is in order and all reasonable questions/requests are answered in a timely manner. So I'm currently happy.

8 days away but who's counting?

I recognize that people want great service but I don't expect them to provide real time tracking of the train that my car is on. That seems a little over the top and I could understand why they'd be slow to respond to requests of that nature.

I don't expect real-time tracking. I just expect that questions about financing and trade-in be answered in less than 2 weeks and that the 3 follow up phone calls my wife made didn't end up in a blackhole. At this point, it's not slow, it's just rude. I'd be just fine with even an auto-reply "I'm out until mm/dd" or something like "We usually work on that 3 weeks before delivery", even a "Leave me alone, I'll talk to you when the car is a week away because I have 1000 other cars to deliver".

It doesn't sound like anyone here is complaining about not getting answers about the GPS location of the car in 10 minutes in the middle of the night.

I don't expect real-time tracking. I just expect that questions about financing and trade-in be answered in less than 2 weeks and that the 3 follow up phone calls my wife made didn't end up in a blackhole. At this point, it's not slow, it's just rude. I'd be just fine with even an auto-reply "I'm out until mm/dd" or something like "We usually work on that 3 weeks before delivery", even a "Leave me alone, I'll talk to you when the car is a week away because I have 1000 other cars to deliver".

It doesn't sound like anyone here is complaining about not getting answers about the GPS location of the car in 10 minutes in the middle of the night.

I totally agree. I am just looking for a little responsiveness/engagement from my DS. I just think spending over $130,000 on a car should warrant a little higher level of service than what I have experienced to date. I have only reached out to my DS 3 times from the time I ordered my car, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me. First time buying a Tesla, the process is different so they should expect first time buyers to have a few questions along the way.

Well, I see a lot of people here sucking up to their DS, hoping for good help and info - more power to you.

Those who know me know that I do not suck up. I like my DS (Whitney in CA) and I stick by it.

Sorry to hear about your problems and frustrations. It's better to find out about problems before you buy it, but I'm sure it still sucks to have to have wait.

This. Exactly this! This is my problem. All my communication goes to a black hole. Takes a week to get a response. Sometimes... no response!

I noticed you are picking up at Highland Park, your end manufacturing date is the same as mine, my VIN is about 500 below yours. There is a pretty good chance you were on the same train. And my DES is MIA so I'm still in the dark for the trade in and don't even think about an estimated date. Who did you get for your DS?

The DS tried to ping the car on the train because it was still saying Richmond, CA. He said that he thought it was displaying it's last location. Fremont confirmed it was in Joliet yesterday. I'm a bit concerned about posting our DS's name on this forum. His initials are JT, if that helps. He's been great. Confirmed the trade yesterday. Hope your experience improves.

I got off the e-mail and decided to pick up the phone and call, good thing I did that. I ended up leaving a message with the receptionist or another employee for the DS team. Travis called me back within 5-10 minutes of leaving my message.

He took my information and said he'd call me back once he 'had eyes on my car'. I also told him I ordered a center console about a month ago but the other DS had't been able to confirm receipt yet. Maybe 15 minutes later he called me back confirming my car was onsite still in the shipping wrap and that he had the center console as well. Since I am not trading anything in and am not transferring a plate he said the process is quicker/easier. He then gave me two time options to take delivery on Saturday.

A few minutes later I received an e-mail with all the final cost numbers so I could make payment, what a professional all the way. He more than made up for what I'd call less than a wow experience I was receiving before.

Finally, I e-mailed my sales person Harley at the store; he offered transportation to the delivery center when I placed my order (it's about 45 minutes to an hour away). All set up, my wife and I won't have to shuffle cars and can go and come back together.

Saturday can't come soon enough.

Awesome you got your car. Although in my opinion, it's not exactly great service to discover that everything was basically ready when you call for information. What were they waiting for ?

My status changed to "Prepared for pick up or delivery" last night, but I still don't have a correct trade-in valuation (took 8 days to get one, and the trade-in trim and options didn't match what I had sent them ?! still waiting for an explanation or correction). Nice touch was when not-my-DS called to ask if we had received the valuation and was surprised when we said it was wrong and we had told our DS.

But at least trade-in inspection is scheduled in 2 days away. Another nice touch, the voicemail today was "Call me back, we'd like to schedule the inspection *ASAP* since your car will be here soon"...my wife called 4 days ago to ask to schedule it. So still no numbers, can't make a payment and my DS sticks to "your car will be here soon" despite the status change online.

Delivery can't come soon enough indeed then I can forget all about that. But if I ever replace that Model S, I won't hesitate to ask for a different DS at the first sign of problem (or if I get assigned the same one again).

So here is a question for the group I'm curious about, as mentioned it before but not really as a question...

Did anyone else's DS stated they were "marking your car as a hot car" so it would be actioned on sooner or bumped in priority? Is there even such a thing or does it really matter? Or is this a calm down the customer's questions and lack of info response? hehehe...

This month of no action at all besides a couple emails on charging a long time ago is frustrating overall - maybe its the fact that the tracking spreadsheet exist and can see other cars, higher VINs, similar locations all jumping ahead in production...

I wouldn't be surprised that such a process exists. This can be particularly true for owners in states whose incentives are about to expire (Colorado and Georgia on 6/30), or owners who were in wrecks and are without a car at the moment.