Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured it would be cutting it very close. I had planned on finding a recharging point at 175 to 200 miles.

What are the major differences between the charging modes (i.e, range mode vs. standard mode)? Does one mode require a longer time to charge. Also, does either have an long-term adverse effect on the battery? I apologize in advance if this information is posted on Tesla's website/blog.

@ckessel - I was already thinking about that. In a couple of years, hopefully we'll take my wife's Model X on the trip and leave my Model S at home.

I figured it would be cutting it very close. I had planned on finding a recharging point at 175 to 200 miles.

What are the major differences between the charging modes (i.e, range mode vs. standard mode)? Does one mode require a longer time to charge. Also, does either have an long-term adverse effect on the battery? I apologize in advance if this information is posted on Tesla's website/blog.

@ckessel - I was already thinking about that. In a couple of years, hopefully we'll take my wife's Model X on the trip and leave my Model S at home.
In my experience at highway speeds (75mph) I get about 80% of the ideal range.

Standard mode charges to 90% but also reserves the bottom 10%. If you are running low in Standard mode you can switch into range mode while driving and access the bottom 10%. Range charges to 100% and lets you run down to 0%. So since you're charging to a higher level it will require longer to charge (you're literally adding more charge). Performance mode charges to 100% but reserves the bottom 10% - Performance mode allows the batteries to get hotter and so charges (and discharges) faster but at some cost to battery life. I've only done a handful of range mode charges in the 6 months I've had my car but w/ Li-ion, a lot of time spent above 90% or below 10% will degrade the batteries faster.

That being said, the 300 mile Model S pack will use different chemistry than the Roadster pack (which will be used for the 160 and 230 mile packs) so may give better life. Also, I expect Model S to be more aerodynamic than the Roadster so may not lose as much at high speed as the Roadster.

But yeah, a 267 mile trip will be right on the line. Though you won't need much charging to make it so if you take a 15 minute break every hundred miles and charge you'll make it.

I've been trying to puzzle out some of what's going on with the numbers. I reserved a Signature at the very end of January 2011 and got Signature #101 (US), and that number *hasn't* changed (unlike the people who reserved earlier). It appears that the Signature Special (Roadster owner Signature) list was separated out shortly before my reservation.

It also appears that they are listed in "My Tesla" as Signatures, so we have to depend on self-reporting by Roadster owners to tell them apart from "ordinary" Signatures like mine. Michiganmodels doesn't have a Signature Special count entry on his/her list, unfortunately... so I'm guessing the total reservation number is about 174 short, which was the last rumor on Signature Specials.

The impressive thing is that, based on the self-reporting, something like 100 Signatures were reserved in February, as people reserving in early March reported reservation numbers in the low 200s. Perhaps there was a burst of Signature reservations for some reason. That pace hasn't quite kept up, and it looks like the next three months only saw about 40 US Signature reservations each. At approximately that rate, and assuming that Michiganmodels's existing count is missing the Signature Specials but that they *are* included in the 1000 car limit for the Signature series, the Signatures will be fully reserved right around the time they go into production. (Wonder if Tesla planned it that way?) There will probably be some more bursts of reservations, though, so they will probably sell out earlier than that.

I've been trying to puzzle out some of what's going on with the numbers.

Well, my advice is don't - Tesla may change things up on us at any time.

But, I believe the current best thinking (I know I'm asking for it here) is that:

a) Signature models come first. That's 1000 cars all equipped exactly the same way with all options, modulo color.
b) Roadster Owners, Friends, & Family next. That's the next batch, currently in the 400's.
c) General Production next.

Typically US has been first, but since the idea behind the Signature was to have the first 1000 cars all the same for production efficiency, I wonder how they will handle things like RHD and such for UK/Australia. They may do all LHDs first then then RHDs. Again, no-one outside of Tesla seems to really know.

Also, for General Production, there's been rumors that cars specced with the 300 mile battery will be produced ahead of cars with the 160 or 230 mile battery, even if the sequence number says otherwise. Again, that was to give the production line as much uniformity as possible. There was a lot of discussion around that here and other forums, but again, Tesla is officially silent.

Note that these groups are apparently additive. That is, R1 should be car #1001, but P1 will be something like #1451. It could be more: if, for instance, 100 more Roadster owners put deposits down before the Sig run is complete, then P1 could be #1551, for instance. And again, we don't really know. And we don't even know if they're doing all US first, or some combo or sequence of countries.

Similarly, current Signature model reservations total less than 500 out of a possible 1000. Does that mean if they don't reach 1000 by the time they're into producing Signatures that they'll stop early and go to Roadster owner production, or will they do a complete 1000 series no matter what, and then have "spec" cars ready to sell off the lot while people with reservations for custom orders have to wait? Again, no-one who knows for sure is talking.

You can drive yourself crazy with this. My advice is: don't. Either you'll get an early car and that's very cool, or you'll get your car later and the reward for waiting will be a more sorted out vehicle with less problems and maybe even some improvements - although it's been reported that Tesla feels a lot more confident in the early Model S's than they were with the early Roadsters. Time will tell.

Oh, and just because you have an early reservation number doesn't mean you have to take early production. My reservation form said that there's a "skip me now" option if I'm not ready to spec and order my car when they're ready for me. I don't know how far back that bumps you in the line, though (all the way back, or just as far as you want, or something in-between).

According to the FAQ, they're producing the all the 600mi first, the 250 next, and the 160 last.

My bet is that they'll produce the 1,000 US, 200 CDN, and ??? Outconus cars regardless of the reservations and if they aren't all sold by reservation, then they'll have some great product in the showrooms for immediate sale to the inevitable tire kickers with fat wallets.

My thumbnail estimate for the Signature is at least $90,000. $57k+$20k = $77k + all leather interior and assorted bells & whistles. So add in sales tax and tags, depending on where you live and you're hitting $100k! Quite a bit, but better than the $160k+ a sport Roadster would run in WA state.

Similarly, current Signature model reservations total less than 500 out of a possible 1000. Does that mean if they don't reach 1000 by the time they're into producing Signatures that they'll stop early and go to Roadster owner production, or will they do a complete 1000 series no matter what, and then have "spec" cars ready to sell off the lot while people with reservations for custom orders have to wait? Again, no-one who knows for sure is talking.

I would hope not. The signatures are supposed to be special cars for early adopters/preorderers right? Defeats all that if you can stroll onto a lot and get one.

I imagine they'll only produce Signature cars for orders they have in hand. If someone orders a Signature car after general production, and there are slots still available, they could probably go back and make one easily.

There will be no signature cars after general production. This will follow a similar path that the Roadster took. If you want a sig. car once general production starts, I would look to Ebay or Dupont Registry.

Yep, I would be one of those. (non-Roadster owner) I put the $5k down to reserve a GP model and I'm saving up for the Sig reservation. Only $20k more to go and I'll have enough. I could sell some stocks and make the reservation now, but I'd hate to sell in a down market when I don't really need to.

Then depending on the final price and amenities, I'll cancel one or the other.

I'm surprised they didn't ask me which battery pack was my preference when I reserved the GP model.

Last edited:
True, but if it were me, I would like to have some indication of the popularity of the different sizes from people who've actually placed money down.

One thing that's a little concerning. I imagine that everyone with money in reservations would become unsecured creditors in any bankruptcy proceedings. Not nice to think about, but it could be another reason for the low numbers of Sig reservations.