Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 in 1.1s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By my quick calculation, 60mph in 1.1 sec is an acceleration of approx 2.7g. I don't think I'd want to be doing that too often!
Aerobatic airplanes regularly reach in excess of 4 g's, and in a flight to space in a rocket, you will experience 3g's.........fighter pilots exert from 8-9 g's during a really tight turn, but of course they are wearing g suits. But 2.7 g's every once in a while should not stress the human body too much.

Aerobatic airplanes regularly reach in excess of 4 g's, and in a flight to space in a rocket, you will experience 3g's.........fighter pilots exert from 8-9 g's during a really tight turn, but of course they are wearing g suits. But 2.7 g's every once in a while should not stress the human body too much.
I realise that Bill, I just meant that the average person wouldn't find 2.7g particularly comfortable. More to the point though, why would you want to achieve 60mph in 1.1 sec? I guess it's the usual human "one-upmanship" on display.

I assume rocket thrust will be drag/race strip only or immediately jumped on by regs. I don't think I'd trust tesla software to make sure it's safe behind before allowing it.
I bought my S as a stepping stone to the roadster 'cos I think it looks very nice but honestly I'd be happy with a roadster with 4sec to 60 and 500mile range but with Tesla removing more and more stalks, buttons, facilities and on-going poor customer service and cheap interiors I'm no longer sure about getting one quite apart from the likely insurance rates...
By the time we actually see a RHD version there may well be well built alternatives...

Reactions: s0schen
By my quick calculation, 60mph in 1.1 sec is an acceleration of approx 2.7g. I don't think I'd want to be doing that too often!
You have to engage the "HOLY *sugar*" mode first. I imagine several rich boys will loose it when used and wind up in the hospital, especially if they are moving from a "former" powered car. These battery powered cars are another world.

I'm sure that Tesla G-suits will be available on the website at a cost. The compressor and linkages will be extra.

Imagine the insurance claims from stone chips of the car behind..it’d be like the brabam fan car all over again Brabham BT46 - Wikipedia
I could be wrong but I get the impression stone chips would be the least of the issue for the car behind. I can imagine if you are close and stationary e.g. at a traffic light you would be needing a new bumper as the car behind if Mr SpaceX in front of you decided to do a mars launch. Here's hoping they use all those sensors the car no doubt has to prevent that one - In which case it really is a nigh on useless feature for drag strips.

I could be wrong but I get the impression stone chips would be the least of the issue for the car behind. I can imagine if you are close and stationary e.g. at a traffic light you would be needing a new bumper as the car behind if Mr SpaceX in front of you decided to do a mars launch. Here's hoping they use all those sensors the car no doubt has to prevent that one - In which case it really is a nigh on useless feature for drag strips.
Looks like it's just compressed air - not flames - that will be coming out the back. You may find yourself a little further behind in the queue though :)

I realise that Bill, I just meant that the average person wouldn't find 2.7g particularly comfortable. More to the point though, why would you want to achieve 60mph in 1.1 sec? I guess it's the usual human "one-upmanship" on display.
Yes..........it's the "my car's faster than your car" syndrome or, as when we were kids, "my dad's tougher than your dad." Of course, MOST people are not used to that kind of acceleration. I have a friend that has what was seen to be a really fast car in the 60's.......it would do the 1/4 mile in the 13 second range which was pretty phenomenal back then, so he's used to rapid acceleration. Took him for a ride in my S and we did maybe 6 or so runs 0-90 or so, and he got a little ill from the acceleration and asked to be taken home as he didn't know why he was feeling that way. He realized it was the acceleration only afterwards and called me to tell me about it as apologize. Told him there's nothing to apologize for. Funny though.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Looks like it's just compressed air - not flames - that will be coming out the back. You may find yourself a little further behind in the queue though :)
Air at high enough pressure can do plenty of damage without needing flames.. and it's going to be enough pressure to propel a car weighing north of a tonne at a high acceleration. Which means an equal amount of thrust in the other direction.. towards you.

I expect they'll be using sensors to make sure you simply can't engage it in traffic at all - anything less than 100m behind you and no bueno.

Air at high enough pressure can do plenty of damage without needing flames.. and it's going to be enough pressure to propel a car weighing north of a tonne at a high acceleration. Which means an equal amount of thrust in the other direction.. towards you.
Hence the last bit of my sentence - "You may find yourself a little further behind in the queue though" ;)