Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10 Knee jerk thoughts after pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
Just thought I'd share for those still ordering. 24 hours, 100 miles. Here are some of my initial thoughts.

1. All glass roof is with EVERY penny. We were back and forth and very glad we opted for it. We actually think this should cost more than the pano.

2. We should've gotten the smart air suspension. The roads were terrible around where we picked up. It was about 10 minutes of instant regret with a jarring ride. The seats transferred every crack into our backs and skulls. The rest of the ride home was fine, but this is definitely a "depends where you live" type of thing.

3. Fit and finish is pretty bad. Everything looks impressive, quality of materials is fine. But the definitely minor things reduce the overall quality of the final product

4. Lights are definitely needed in the trunk (ordered from abstract ocean already) but don't miss the rest of the PUP.

5. Range anxiety kicked in about 20minutes from home. We still had over 120 miles left, but something psychological about picking up over 200 and realizing we're soon in double digits.

6. The park distance with inches remaining is awesome.

7. The non-premium sound is pretty bad in the original setting. We changed ours to be B: 5.5, Mid: 4.0, T: 3.5 and it seemed to be significantly better. We will keep playing with it. No regrets so far.

8. Subzero: We love it, but wished the steering wheel had adjustments for levels.

9. The rear windshield is near useless. The back seat headrests block almost everything.

10. Did I mention the all glass roof is amazing? For an actual 10, I'm not sure if EAP is needed to display blind spot monitoring or not. But the car could certainly use them.

If I had to reorder again, the only thing we would change is the addition of the smart air suspension.

Just thought I'd share for those still ordering. 24 hours, 100 miles. Here are some of my initial thoughts.

1. All glass roof is with EVERY penny. We were back and forth and very glad we opted for it. We actually think this should cost more than the pano.

2. We should've gotten the smart air suspension. The roads were terrible around where we picked up. It was about 10 minutes of instant regret with a jarring ride. The seats transferred every crack into our backs and skulls. The rest of the ride home was fine, but this is definitely a "depends where you live" type of thing.

3. Fit and finish is pretty bad. Everything looks impressive, quality of materials is fine. But the definitely minor things reduce the overall quality of the final product

4. Lights are definitely needed in the trunk (ordered from abstract ocean already) but don't miss the rest of the PUP.

5. Range anxiety kicked in about 20minutes from home. We still had over 120 miles left, but something psychological about picking up over 200 and realizing we're soon in double digits.

6. The park distance with inches remaining is awesome.

7. The non-premium sound is pretty bad in the original setting. We changed ours to be B: 5.5, Mid: 4.0, T: 3.5 and it seemed to be significantly better. We will keep playing with it. No regrets so far.

8. Subzero: We love it, but wished the steering wheel had adjustments for levels.

9. The rear windshield is near useless. The back seat headrests block almost everything.

10. Did I mention the all glass roof is amazing? For an actual 10, I'm not sure if EAP is needed to display blind spot monitoring or not. But the car could certainly use them.

If I had to reorder again, the only thing we would change is the addition of the smart air suspension.

Thanks for sharing. Taking delivery of my MS next Friday, Dec 23rd. You've made me glad I ordered the Smart Air Suspension :)

I didn't get the Smart Air Suspension because the ride quality is the same as coils. The only difference is the raising and lowering based on certain circumstances. That wouldn't affect you. Honestly you'll find it a lot smoother when its not winter and cold.

I'm also really excited about my all glass roof. I'm even more excited about getting another EV. I've rarely had actual range anxiety with a LEAF, having a MS will alleviate that completely. After 2.5 years, I am experienced enough with EV to never really worry and just plan better. I'm sure you'll find the same kind of "confidence" after some time owning the car and realizing it will take you wherever you want.

Reactions: David99
I didn't get the Smart Air Suspension because the ride quality is the same as coils.
I have driven an S with air and don't find the ride noticeably different even over potholes compared to my S with coils which I have owned for 3 years.

@Yinn, you are making an assumption that the ride with air suspension would be better on rough roads. I am not convinced it would be better. There are numerous threads on TMC debating "air vs coils".

I have driven an S with air and don't find the ride noticeably different even over potholes compared to my S with coils which I have owned for 3 years.

@Yinn, you are making an assumption that the ride with air suspension would be better on rough roads. I am not convinced it would be better. There are numerous threads on TMC debating "air vs coils".

I have air and don't notice much difference over potholes versus the coils on the test drive car.

Have both and the coils are much better. Would never order air again.

This is what my OA said too. I found the coils to be the same and the added normal ride height was an advantage (even with dual motors). I think air could be useful in certain situations but I'm not sure I'd have the mental discipline to use it right. Great to hear from an owner who has both what their preference is. I also heard from the service guys that coils last longer and give owners less headaches after time.

It is simply a profit center for Tesla.

Profit center? How so? I assume if your car was in for service twice already, that those were covered by the warranty. That's a cost center, if I do my math right.

And the original air suspension parts do cost a lot more than springs, which is why their price is higher (although there's obviously a little profit in there). I have SAS on my 2013 P85+ and have never had a single issue with them.

But I do know many people have had issues with them, and mostly fixed under warranty, which probably eats up any profit Tesla built into the original MSRP of the SAS.

I don't know if "behind you" is a cold climate :) Anyone else look over their shoulder? ;)
But, I have noticed a harsher ride in the cold due to the hardened tires.
Otherwise it is a smoother ride than my wife's Lexus.
Sound system: I like it but yea, it could be better.
Range anxiety? Did you get a 60? That's what I have and usually i'm good. But in the winter efficiency is much less
Good luck!

It's always cold behind you! ;)

The fixed glass roof looks that much more amazing that yes, despite the cost in parts it should cost more. The pano was nice, nothing I haven't seen/have in other cars. The glass roof truly is amazing.

Yes we got the 60. We also have a diesel with 600+ range, just personal psychological adjustment.

SAS, I've loved adaptive dampening and air suspensions in all my other cars. Read the thread in depth before deciding against it in the Tesla. I find most do not handle potholes well, they do best on uneven roads where a predictable dampening adjustment can be read, interpreted and adjusted. (E.g transition from asphalt to gravel, or concrete highways with gaps) Again, depends on the road. After the 10minute stretch, it was perfectly fine and never a thought again. Max...you need to petition for those roads to be redone!!

Backup camera is a good idea but crapped up with snow already.

Otherwise, the car handled Costco well. It got put through its paces with a baby already. Going to Home Depot today to pick up a door..it's a minivan replacement and we shall use it as such!

I've seen other reports of people complaining about the headrests. I'm not tall by any stretch (5' 6") and I have no problem seeing. Am I missing something? Maybe I have my seat raised higher and I only did that because it was very uncomfortable when I had it low to the point I kept fidgeting in the seat while driving and it ached my thigh.

I've seen other reports of people complaining about the headrests. I'm not tall by any stretch (5' 6") and I have no problem seeing. Am I missing something? Maybe I have my seat raised higher and I only did that because it was very uncomfortable when I had it low to the point I kept fidgeting in the seat while driving and it ached my thigh.

I think the headrests are fine and supportive. I'm not a headrest expert, so idk if they were harsh because they're one piece or what. The one stretch of road was bad, after that. No issues.

.it's a minivan replacement and we shall use it as such!
Hah! I replaced a Yukon XL which had many construction supplies over the years I owned it. That is the one thing I miss, as well as 4 X 4 in this snow. But, i'm getting older and do not plan on any big home improvements in the future. I have done enough! At least until my kids buy a house. And the AWD handles nicely. My next Tesla will have that all glass roof, looks beautiful!

I think the headrests are fine and supportive. I'm not a headrest expert, so idk if they were harsh because they're one piece or what. The one stretch of road was bad, after that. No issues.

I was referring to your reference on rear windshield not the comfort of the headrests. I have no problem seeing out the back. Sure the headrests are tall and may impede some part of the liftgate window but nothing I would remotely even consider dangerous. If it is a concern about blind spots you may want to use your rear camera for normal driving.