Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 kWh batterypack doesn't fit in M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who does remember this discussion?
Half a year ago or a bit longer Elon stated after answers: "it simply doesn't fit". Meaning the footprint of the M3 hadn't enough room for 100kWh. And that some people had questions about that statement.

By then...how is it possible that the new Tesla Roadster with a smaller footfrint has a 200 kWh batterypack?

Somebody has the answer?

Half a year ago or a bit longer Elon stated after answers: "it simply doesn't fit". Meaning the footprint of the M3 hadn't enough room for 100kWh. And that some people had questions about that statement.

By then...how is it possible that the new Tesla Roadster with a smaller footfrint has a 200 kWh batterypack?

Somebody has the answer?

The Roadster most likely has batteries EVERYWHERE. I.e. pack in the floor, pack in the trunk, etc.

Have you seen how small the storage space is on the current roadster?

Somebody has the answer?
I would say the Roadster has more room for batteries. They are not limited to a flat pack because they don't have to care about cargo and passenger space as they do in the Model 3.

Also they are talking about specs 3 years down the road, not the current battery tech.

Electrek, when reporting on their test ride last night, said that the new Roadster was just as low to the ground as the previous one, but the step up into it was higher, by about the height of a battery pack, leading to them speculating that there's a dual layer pack under the Roadster.
The old pack for the Roadster wasn't a floor battery, but a pack behind the seats. So a single step up would suggest a single layer pack, not a double. I think single layer floor + pack behind the seats is the most likely layout. Dual layer is probably too thick.

Reactions: UZJedi
I am of the opinion this is a new battery chemistry. We are talking about twice the energy of a P100 in a smaller package.

+1

Maybe Solid-state batterys?

From Wikipedia: "Solid-state battery [...] As the batteries can exhibit a high power-to-weight ratio, they may be ideal for use in electric vehicles. Such batteries are estimated to have two-to-three times the energy density of existing automotive batteries."

IIRC they are less likely to go up in flames, so they could even be inside the door panels. Toyota plans to put these batteries from 2022 on in their electric cars (source).

With the battery weight down low, I'd like to see the time the new Tesla Roadster gets on the Nurburgring.

Tesla said they couldn't get more than 75 KW of batteries in the 3, yet the smaller Roadster has 200 KW? It's got to have several smaller packs. One under the floor, one in the trunk, one in the frunk, etc.

I doubt they could the stack the batteries under floor double height.

Last edited:
With the battery weight down low, I'd like to see the time the new Tesla Roadster gets on the Nurburgring.

Tesla said they couldn't get more than 75 KW of batteries in the 3, yet the smaller Roadster has 200 KW? It's got to have several smaller packs. One under the floor, one in the trunk, one in the frunk, etc.

I doubt they could the stack the batteries under floor double height.

Here is one vote for stacked batteries.
The new Tesla Roadster is the halo car for the entire EV industry (+360 Test drive)
"When I got in the vehicle for a test ride, the first thing I noticed was that you are sitting pretty flat like the original Roadster but significantly higher up off the ground. If I had to guess, I would imagine that Tesla has stacked two layers of 2070 cells between the axles. That’s 2x 100kWh battery packs like the Model S and X but between what appear to be a smaller footprint."

I am of the opinion this is a new battery chemistry.

I am of the opinion this is like a unicorn chemistry in Elon's imagination. Researchers have struggled to get 30% energy increase in the last 5 years, while keeping all the other relevant characteristics same. So to think that somehow Tesla suddenly got twice the density, is insane. Well no, ludicrous.

I am not sure if this is what Elon meant when he said, "it will blow your minds and skull and take you to another dimension". If so, he sure is giving me sleepless nights. If what he said is true, I can smell the death of ICE cars. But I don't think he is being factual on squeezing 200 kWh in that thing.

Did anyone get a look at the +2 "seats" in the back? The prototype/concept Roadster shown off is likely much different from what they will build in ~3 years. Maybe they used today's cells and put some extra where the rear seats will go ?

Reactions: ElecFan