Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D Buyers/Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was posted in 100D Buyers/Owners

Without any supporting information, I find it hard to believe - "budget cuts" dont work that fast, but on the other hand, my X100D with VIN 357xx is eluding production while cars in 42xxx range are being built.

Does anyone have any information on this subject?
Hopefully it is fiction, not fact. Our DS has hinted at it, but has not said so in so many words, if it's true, let's hope the EPA does its part and the cars that are waiting at the delivery centers are released soon.

Without any supporting information,..

Why...Coming straight from horse's mouth is not good enough for somebody?

Here's the link:

Gas Mileage of 2017 Tesla Model S

P100D is covered.

plain 100D is not listed.

What is there to wonder about?

It's either there or not there.

You just can't sell a car without being approved by EPA and EPA would officially list it for the public to see.

Last edited:
This may be classic Monroney hold. The BMW i3 REx had similar delay related to the sticker. However, it may not always be the EPA end that is the issue. Sometimes EPA finishes their process (either testing or certifying the results) and the delay is the sticker printing (which would be on the manufacturer side).

Article below shows this happened with i3 REx (EPA testing done, but BMW not finishing their process yet on their end and getting the stickers on the cars).
BMW i3 REx Not Delayed By EPA Testing - BMW Expects i3 REx Deliveries To Occur By End Of Week

This was posted in 100D Buyers/Owners

Without any supporting information, I find it hard to believe - "budget cuts" dont work that fast, but on the other hand, my X100D with VIN 357xx is eluding production while cars in 42xxx range are being built.

Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Mine isn't being built. It is smack in the middle of 42xxx and is RHD but just says "Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory." Confirmed Feb 16th

Placed order for a new S100D on the first day (1/20). Car went into production over the February 4 weekend and was finished by early morning February 7. Was shipped to our local Service Center and arrived around February 14.

MyTesla website is still showing expected delivery window of 2/22-3/1. Delivery appointment set for afternoon last Friday (3/3) and cancelled a coupled hours before that, since the local DS did not yet have a release on our car.

Assuming Tesla is waiting for EPA approval then... Our S100D is being held hostage by the EPA for 13 days and counting...

And our DS doesn't know if the hold will be released in hours - days - weeks - months...

Nor have we received any official announcement from Tesla explaining the hold. Calling the North American sales group resulted in an e-mail several hours later sending me back to our DS, who can't provide any information on what's going on or how long the hold might last.

Until Tesla provides an explanation, all we can do is speculate on what's happening.

One possibility is that the EPA decided to run tests on the S and/or X 100D, and their results didn't match Tesla's numbers. There are some inconsistencies in the EPA numbers for the other S & X configurations, and if those inconsistencies are removed (by adjusting number to make the mileage numbers consistent between battery packs, S vs. X and performance vs. non-performance), it's possible the S100D range could be 343 and the X100D range could be as much as 315. And if there are inconsistencies between the EPA measurements and Tesla's numbers, that could explain why no one has a clue how long the hold will list.

Or the delay could be as simple as it's just taking longer than expected for the EPA to bless Tesla's numbers.

Or the delay could be due to something else completely.

If the hold lasts much longer, Tesla should at least let the affected customers know what's going on and their best guess on how much longer this will take.

Placed order for a new S100D on the first day (1/20). Car went into production over the February 4 weekend and was finished by early morning February 7. Was shipped to our local Service Center and arrived around February 14.

MyTesla website is still showing expected delivery window of 2/22-3/1. Delivery appointment set for afternoon last Friday (3/3) and cancelled a coupled hours before that, since the local DS did not yet have a release on our car.

Assuming Tesla is waiting for EPA approval then... Our S100D is being held hostage by the EPA for 13 days and counting...

And our DS doesn't know if the hold will be released in hours - days - weeks - months...

Nor have we received any official announcement from Tesla explaining the hold. Calling the North American sales group resulted in an e-mail several hours later sending me back to our DS, who can't provide any information on what's going on or how long the hold might last.

Until Tesla provides an explanation, all we can do is speculate on what's happening.

One possibility is that the EPA decided to run tests on the S and/or X 100D, and their results didn't match Tesla's numbers. There are some inconsistencies in the EPA numbers for the other S & X configurations, and if those inconsistencies are removed (by adjusting number to make the mileage numbers consistent between battery packs, S vs. X and performance vs. non-performance), it's possible the S100D range could be 343 and the X100D range could be as much as 315. And if there are inconsistencies between the EPA measurements and Tesla's numbers, that could explain why no one has a clue how long the hold will list.

Or the delay could be as simple as it's just taking longer than expected for the EPA to bless Tesla's numbers.

Or the delay could be due to something else completely.

If the hold lasts much longer, Tesla should at least let the affected customers know what's going on and their best guess on how much longer this will take.
That's really frustrating. Our MX 100D has been "in production" for almost 3 weeks, which makes no sense. The DS is not being very helpful either... when I asked him about the EPA hold, this was his answer- "The 100D is a new product offering that is undergoing our standard validation process prior to mass deliveries". For something that costs over a 100K, Tesla needs to keep their customers informed, not ignore this delay, and pretend all is well.

At this rate, Q1 deliveries and therefore sales are not going to meet plan. As a public company, and until they have absolute certainty around the situation, they are not going to communicate with anyone, regardless of the price tag.

My DS just told me that Portland / Tigard received their first 100D today (didn't specify X or S) and that they are in the same holding pattern; can't deliver it. Reasons obviously covered previously in this thread. -----
I read it this way: the news is that production is making vehicles. Which is good to hear. The DS suggested it could take a week before they have the paperwork. And said a similar thing occurred when the first P100D's were arriving. --- of which somebody out there probably knows the waiting game first hand.

Nothing much to add, except that the X 100D are NOT being held up in production because of the EPA issue. Mine went into production more or less yesterday (per Tesla email), and then completed production today (per Tesla email), with estimated delivery 3/22 - 4/4 (per Tesla email). DS has no information about EPA hold, nor seems to be acknowledging that there is any type of hold at all. But maybe they just haven't had any 100Ds run through that SC yet? I don't know.

I wanted to report back some great news on this. I got an email from an EPA. It stated the following:
Thank you for your question about the availability of 2017 Tesla Model X 100D vehicles at Tesla dealerships.
EPA issued a certificate of conformance for emission certification of 2017 Tesla Model X 100D vehicles on Friday (March 10, 2017). For EPA fuel economy (window sticker) requirements, EPA decided not to perform confirmatory testing of a Model X 100D test vehicle at EPA's Ann Arbor testing laboratory---which will allow the Tesla factory engineers use the fuel economy values, energy consumption values, range values, etc on the FE Label (window sticker) which were derived from Tesla's manufacturer testing.
I contacted Tesla engineers last week (in response to another customer's email questions) and at that time, Tesla indicated that they intended to allow their dealers to deliver both 2017 Model S 100D and Model X 100D vehicles to customers on Monday 3/13/2017 (today).
In summary, the timing of the delivery of your vehicle is now in the hands of Tesla engineers (and is not being held up by EPA).
Best regards,
Dave Good, Engineer
U.S. EPA

I wanted to report back some great news on this. I got an email from an EPA. It stated the following:
Thank you for your question about the availability of 2017 Tesla Model X 100D vehicles at Tesla dealerships.
EPA issued a certificate of conformance for emission certification of 2017 Tesla Model X 100D vehicles on Friday (March 10, 2017). For EPA fuel economy (window sticker) requirements, EPA decided not to perform confirmatory testing of a Model X 100D test vehicle at EPA's Ann Arbor testing laboratory---which will allow the Tesla factory engineers use the fuel economy values, energy consumption values, range values, etc on the FE Label (window sticker) which were derived from Tesla's manufacturer testing.
I contacted Tesla engineers last week (in response to another customer's email questions) and at that time, Tesla indicated that they intended to allow their dealers to deliver both 2017 Model S 100D and Model X 100D vehicles to customers on Monday 3/13/2017 (today).
In summary, the timing of the delivery of your vehicle is now in the hands of Tesla engineers (and is not being held up by EPA).
Best regards,
Dave Good, Engineer
U.S. EPA
Thanks for the update. So right now it's up to Tesla to get the labels printed, stuck on the car, and then the cars can be delivered.

Best regards,
Dave Good, Engineer
U.S. EPA
That's great! We are scheduled to pick up our Model X100D in Houston on Thursday... so excited!