Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$3K price increase is not bad for a 15KWh usable energy pack. Sure it gives you only about 40 additional miles, but for $3K price, that is a no brainer when you extrapolate over 10 years or so of ownership. I don't know why anyone would get the 90D now when for $3K more, you can get a significantly better car.

As expected they kept the performance of a 100D same as the 90D to justify the P100D.

As for the small price increase, I think it's because of the removal of the free supercharging. This can be quite a bit if one does a lot of road trips over the years well past the free 400KWh per year. I, for one, am glad tesla is removing the price of the supercharging from the 100D. Now to be fair, they should make the 90D cheaper by $x too since free supercharging is gone.

Reactions: David29 and ABC2D
Man, I am in a pickle. right now I have ordered a 60D with estimated range of 200 miles on full charge. I called my DS and they will upgrade the car to 100D for around 18,000 dollars with 500 dollars change fee. do you think it's worth the 95 miles of difference to get the 100D? thanks everyone!

• Disagree
Reactions: xborg
I just received an email from my DS regarding my request to upgrade my confirmed order to the 100D battery. I pasted the relevant policy below:

· Lose unlimited free Supercharging

· Lose perforated/ventilated seats (if ordered with the Premium Upgrades Package)

· Be subject to option bundles and associated price changes

· Be subject to new production and delivery timing

I did also speak to my DS. He indicated that these policies may change, as they are getting quite a bit of push back on the supercharging issue.

Man, I am in a pickle. right now I have ordered a 60D with estimated range of 200 miles on full charge. I called my DS and they will upgrade the car to 100D for around 18,000 dollars with 500 dollars change fee. do you think it's worth the 95 miles of difference to get the 100D? thanks everyone!
I am assuming you have a Model X and not a Model S. If it's the model S, it's 218 miles to 335 miles a 117 miles range upgrade. This is about 1-2 hours of additional highway driving. It's not a bad deal if they are willing to let you keep the free unlimited supercharging. If not, then see if you will do a lot of road trips per year to see if the free 400KWh is sufficient for you annual trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I am assuming you have a Model X and not a Model S. If it's the model S, it's 218 miles to 335 miles a 117 miles range upgrade. This is about 1-2 hours of additional highway driving. It's not a bad deal if they are willing to let you keep the free unlimited supercharging. If not, then see if you will do a lot of road trips per year to see if the free 400KWh is sufficient for you annual trip.
Yes, it would be for model x. why would they get rid of the supercharging? The car was ordered before the cutoff and also I will likely get it before April. I think this would be a departure from their policies before.

Yes, it would be for model x. why would they get rid of the supercharging? The car was ordered before the cutoff and also I will likely get it before April. I think this would be a departure from their policies before.
I think they won't get rid of supercharging. Just free UNLIMITED supercharging. Yes you placed the order before the cut-off date, but I suspect for the upgrade, they would probably tell you need to give up the free UNLIMITED supercharging. Just double check. If it's still free, I would do it. From my math and the number of road trips I do, I would pay around $10K over 10 years and 300K miles in electricity cost alone. But that is just me. If you are a lite user of the supercharging, then you would probably never make that back.

Reactions: Dwdnjck
I ordered a 60D before the 15th, it's still not confirmed but I've paid the deposit and Tesla people have assured me that I will get the free Supercharging. Now for curiosity I tried to change the 60D to 100D and it can't be done, there's no 100D option for me so the configurator was locked to the specs when I made the order. So if I'd want the 100D, I'd lose the Supercharging. I'm sticking with the 60D and the 90D and 100D where a stretch with my budget anyways.

I did also speak to my DS. He indicated that these policies may change, as they are getting quite a bit of push back on the supercharging issue.
This gives me the reason to make the call to the Tesla Sales 800 number and ask that they make the change from 90 to 100. I will also make sure to have them note that if that kills SC unlimited, then please cancel the order before my 7 day change period ends on Sunday. If many existing 90D orders make similar calls, then they may realize that some exceptions are necessary to keep customers in a soon to be Model 3 world.

• Disagree
I just received an email from my DS regarding my request to upgrade my confirmed order to the 100D battery. I pasted the relevant policy below:

· Lose unlimited free Supercharging

· Lose perforated/ventilated seats (if ordered with the Premium Upgrades Package)

· Be subject to option bundles and associated price changes

· Be subject to new production and delivery timing

Wow!!!That Blows!

Maybe all of us who are affected by this should call 800 and try to force Tesla to keep the supercharging and ventilated seats

• Disagree
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing too from others. I inquired Tesla myself, waiting on their response. But, I've already decided that I will upgrade regardless - free supercharging is not important to me. What is more important, which I also still waiting on response from Tesla, if change order will trigger removal of ventilated seats..... that would be a deal breaker for me.

Our OA confirmed that changing our order to a 100D would require canceling the existing order and placing a new order and transferring over the deposit. Since it would be a new order, we wouldn't be able to get ventilated seats or unlimited supercharging.

Reactions: ABC2D
Our OA confirmed that changing our order to a 100D would require canceling the existing order and placing a new order and transferring over the deposit. Since it would be a new order, we wouldn't be able to get ventilated seats or unlimited supercharging.
Yup, just got off the phone with Tesla - all are correct, to get 100D one must forfeit unlimited supercharging (which I don't care much for) and ventilated seats (I do want those a lot).

So, I'm staying with my original 90D with ventilated seats.

Definitely not, unless you plan to use this frequently for long trips. I think the 60D is a great commuter/local car like you have it, and a bargain. I don't think the SC network is robust enough for road trips yet, even with the 100D. Charging at destinations is a PITA. With the 60D you will have to charge frequently, so road trips will be tougher - but I guess it depends on your intended use of the car.

Reactions: Dr Doom
I apologize if this has already been mentioned up-thread and I missed it but I wonder why Tesla didn't let the free unlimited supercharging overlap with the 100D for a little while? That would have been a huge demand lever.
Maybe the 100D will have vehicle to home charging capabilities, enabling the owner to power their house in emergencies? That would be one reason not to offer unlimited supercharging with a larger capacity battery as some might be tempted to power their home via free supercharging.

Awesome news - only $3k more than the 90D. That is a bargain for 40 miles of range.

10 kWh = 40 mile extension? Why isn't the 90 offering 330-340 miles to start with? Is the 40 miles speculative or some other factor really allowing a "true 40"? I suspect that the 100 is more than 100 in cell capacity. Supercharging page says 400kWh of charging is about 1000 miles (2.5mi per kWh), so I assume that is input power to charge and not based on charged battery capacity.