Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.11.45 Automatic Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, only a small fraction of owners have gotten it. Furthermore it's only 17.11.x people who got it -- if you're already on 17.14 or 17.16 it seems like you'll have to wait for a future update....

Still on 17.14.23. I guess I haven't made my FCW go off enough to warrant my car getting it. Bwha ha ha ha.

Oddly enough my car was in the SC and the new updates had already been out for 2 days and my service advisor said the system didn't see anything to push to my car \i/

Before I bought I thought Tesla was a different kind of car company. I was coming off an Audi, from a company that defrauded owners by faking emissions tests. So I was eager for an experience with a company I could trust.

Now I feel like the victim of a huge bait and switch scam. Musk is an attention hog who seems to have disdain for his customers and disregard for the truth. I'm really disappointed.

I was a huge fan of Tesla and Elon Musk until I purchased the car. Now I feel Tesla is a scam and Elon is a pathological liar.
I can see why you would say that, but I'm thinking there are better explanations for whats going on right now other than scamming and lying. I think they are having trouble with the new camera hardware. Hopefully it can be fixed with a simple alignment tweak, but I'm hearing complaints about people that leave the service center with the problem not being fixed.

I think the biggest issue is that Elon thought that the AI would work better sooner. But hang in there, once the AI gets to a certain level the AP will work better than you can imagine right now. It's going to blow your mind. Unless the cameras are wet or dirty or out of whack.

I hope you're right. Every day I wonder when the next firmware update will come out that will prove me wrong. I'm sure they are having trouble with the camera hardware and software, and I'm not blaming them for that - I get it, it's not easy with so many variables.

The problem was misrepresenting to me that they had an actual working product, as opposed to, you know, just an idea. I was fine waiting 2 years before buying a Tesla and enjoying something else in the meantime.

I hope you're right. Every day I wonder when the next firmware update will come out that will prove me wrong. I'm sure they are having trouble with the camera hardware and software, and I'm not blaming them for that - I get it, it's not easy with so many variables.

The problem was misrepresenting to me that they had an actual working product, as opposed to, you know, just an idea. I was fine waiting 2 years before buying a Tesla and enjoying something else in the meantime.

FWIW, I test drove the original Model S, and the AP1 HW when it first got activated almost a year after coming out, and the Model X when it was first released....

I don't think there's any malice in AP2's rollout. I honestly think this is just the way Tesla does business, and their current customer base is surprisingly tolerant of it. I've told the story here before: The first time I test drove AP1 in FW 7.0, it landed me sideways on a freeway and the Tesla sales rep screamed like a girl from the backseat. I bought an Audi with ACC the next week, thinking that all "you" Tesla people are morons. A year later, I test drove the same hardware with more baked software and it was a totally different experience -- my Audi's ACC got worse as time went on, but the Tesla system got better.

So this time around, buying AP2, I'm willing to believe Tesla will be able to deliver on their original promises (or something very close to it), and I'm willing to be in for the journey from start to finish.

FWIW, I test drove the original Model S, and the AP1 HW when it first got activated almost a year after coming out, and the Model X when it was first released....

I don't think there's any malice in AP2's rollout. I honestly think this is just the way Tesla does business, and their current customer base is surprisingly tolerant of it. I've told the story here before: The first time I test drove AP1 in FW 7.0, it landed me sideways on a freeway and the Tesla sales rep screamed like a girl from the backseat. I bought an Audi with ACC the next week, thinking that all "you" Tesla people are morons. A year later, I test drove the same hardware with more baked software and it was a totally different experience -- my Audi's ACC got worse as time went on, but the Tesla system got better.

So this time around, buying AP2, I'm willing to believe Tesla will be able to deliver on their original promises (or something very close to it), and I'm willing to be in for the journey from start to finish.

Your perspective is a reasonable one. I don't think Tesla has any malice. They are just a business trying to make the most money possible and stay afloat. They are willing to put their interests ahead of mine. I guess that's what it takes to make billions, you have to be willing to step on people and weigh decisions on a financial metric rather than a moral one. That's the gist of the phrase "business is business."

Tesla has gotten away with selling promises due to its fans who will turn the other cheek. Model 3 crowd won't be as forgiving. For everyone's sake, I hope they can deliver quickly. I would be thrilled if EAP/FSD worked well.

Reactions: Kant.Ing

It's odd that you bought an Audi for it's ACC when you tested AP instead of simply comparing TACC. Although I could understand buying the Audi for the interior, fit/finish, quietness, etc. I was a big fan of Audi until they became boring, and the R8 was considerably outside my price range.

I think the reason Tesla owners are tolerant is a lot of us are early adopters, and we're used to things not working so well initially. We might come from a variety of cars, but there tends to be overriding theme of people really excited by the new and shiny, I acknowledge that the best thing about the first year, and half of owning my Model S was the excitement/anticipation of updates. Where I was a bit sad that it wasn't going to continue when HW2 was released. But, I also saw the lie in it.

The lie Tesla told to keep people buying the car despite it not even having a chance of equivalency for another 6 months. The reality was Tesla had the choice of how to handle the situation that they were dealt with as a result of MobileEye not allowing them to bundle both systems in car.

Tesla had the choice of how to handle the situation, and they knowingly chose to lie to the customer. To fib on the estimates on when HW2 would reach parity and beyond.

Just like in this situation they had a choice of how to handle it, and they decided not to inform the customer. Some can choose to believe it was simply an omission, but I think it was a calculated decision. Whoever is in charge of the release notes is making calculated decisions to omit important information from the customer. In this case it's the 28mph limitation of AEB, and in some version of 8.0 it was the sudden slow down to 50mph if it detected a car in the shoulder. That was removed in a future update as it causing some bad situations. But, the only way we knew it was in there was electrek.co informed us.

• Love
Reactions: Skipdd and Kant.Ing
It's odd that you bought an Audi for it's ACC when you tested AP instead of simply comparing TACC. Although I could understand buying the Audi for the interior, fit/finish, quietness, etc. I was a big fan of Audi until they became boring, and the R8 was considerably outside my price range.

Sorry, I didn't elaborate on that well enough. I bought the Audi after testing everything from the S550 to the Tesla for ADAS capability. I thought that Audi's ACC ramping and stop-and-go capabilities were better than 7.0 TACC, and I thought Audi's "lane assist" system (which constantly nudges you towards the center of the lane) was more dependable and less frightening than 7.0 Autosteer.

There were a large number of other reasons that led me to chose the Audi at the time, but they were not terribly relevant to this thread. I was mainly trying to illustrate the point that when I first tested both systems, Audi's was measurably superior in basically every way, but over time, the same model year AP1 grew to eclipse Audi's driver assist features by a huge margin, while Audi's assist suite worked less and less well as cars' appearances changed on the road, lane marking designs changed, etc.

Reactions: JeffK