Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.26.76 New Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did about 200 miles today on the new update all freeway miles.... this is very very close to the silky smooth that was talked about. When there is clearly marked lines on the road I'd say it's as good or better than ap1, it handles turns 85% better than before with much less ping ponging and a way smoother line all the way through a turn. I didn't have a single false positive with any bridges or signs so that's a step back in the right direction.

The largest disappointment is still in the carpool lanes where I do most of my driving, it just seems the camera(s) can't see yellow or gray/white solid lines very well at all. There was no improvement in this area at all that I noticed, bad enough still that I didn't want to really even use it in the carpool lane. When the carpool lane widens it still has a serious issue and just won't follow the car in front of it like ap1 does, it wants to slam to one side or the other. I think the weaving in the carpool lane has gotten worse if anything,

Everyone is going to be quite pleased if you drive on freeways (non carpool) lanes. It's so much better and feels more confident than before it's hard to compare. If they can fix the carpool issues I'd say this update took us past or for sure at parity with ap1. Exciting times and hope for more updates quickly!

Also it still does not show cars on adjacent lanes unless you turn a signal on and there's no differing in vehicle types yet
What was your previous fw version?

One promising sign is that people are getting 17.17.4 / 17.17.17 -> 17.26.76 updates on AP2 with just wifi, without going to a SC. It seems like this is the start of the rollout to AP2.

I got 17.24.28 from an SC visit (from 17.17.17) then 17.24.30 via OTA as was explained to me as a hot fix for some bugs on MX AP2 cars. I now have 17.26.76 and got that via OTA, and I can say, unlike the .28/.30 debacle, 17.26.76 is clearly a big improvement and fixed most everything that .28/.30 broke.

I don't think anyone with AP2 HW got 17.24.28 OTA, could be wrong.

Posted this in the forums at the tesla site:

Since taking delivery of my MX my progression has been 17.17.17 -> 17.24.28 -> 17.24.30 -> 17.26.76. Feedback on 17.26.76 above is accurate. From an AP implementation, in my opinion, 17.24.28/.30 was an overall step backward from 17.17.17 whereas 17.26.76 is clearly an big step forward over 17.17.17 and an even bigger improvement over .28/.30.

This is what I find 17.26.76 has fixed or improved:

- lane holding is much better, .28/.30 produced an improvement here but .76 is even better I do believe, it still is biased to the left in curves, but in straight always that bias is gone in .76.

- hitting space/distancing and responding to changing traffic speed is much improved, majorly over .28/.30 and even over older versions, this is where .28/.30 really screwed up in my opinion, it is nice to see this fixed.

- braking to slow or stopped traffic from a high speed is much improved, smoother and more natural (again one of the facets .28/.30 seemed to have broken), still seems to start a tad early but the deceleration is smoother, less "hard braking then a slow roll forward".

- auto lane change - here I break away from others above, I find the lane changing to be nice and sharp, it changes into the lane more like I normally do. 17.17.xx lane changes would take 7-12 seconds to complete, and about 1/3 (maybe half) of the time would get "stuck" straddling then lanes like it was unsure what to do, in .76 the change happens in the 3-4 seconds by my guess and has not pause/straddled after multiple (20 or more during my rest drive) attempts, am very pleased with it now, I would not even use it in .28/30 I have much more confidence in it now.

- car tracking is much much better, seems to see cars from a greater distance and does a much better job tracking them, even in 17.17.xx the front car would jump around even at relatively close distances. Auto Lane changing will also briefly show cars in adjacent lanes if present (had not noticed that before).

- ghost braking is substantially reduced (in fact have not experienced a random ghost brake event yet)

- perp parking got better overall I feel... gets straighter into the slot.

Still broken or needs improvement:

- on/off ramps create jitter events as others above have observed, in fact, I think .76 is even more affected by this than 17.17.xx versions.

- speed limit accuracy remains horrid can't compared to 17.17.17, I am assume due to rumored changes in the map data base used I the GPS location algorithms.

- I see the biggest improvements in divided highway AP, surface street AP is still iffy at best, though improving, it is still an area with needs for big improvements.

- direct sunlight AP is improved in this version to be sure but still needs improvement. Direct sun into the cameras saturate the image and results in lost lane control.

- I wholely agree with the Nav feedback, the nav algorithm needs a lot of work. It was "ok" in 17.17.xx, nut since the .28/.30 debacle, Nav has suffered tremendously, I now use my phone.

- I like the commentary above about defensive lane control, I would really like to see some work in this area.

I would still not qualify this version of AP on HW2 to be silky smooth, but it is getting closer.

Last edited:
Got the update earlier today while out of town. Drove back this evening 150 miles on it. AP2 is better, but still not AP1. Cornering is improved, but it still adjusts mid corner several times. Fewer than before, but not AP1 perfect arc.

More annoyingly, it has a tendency now to constantly adjust and wiggle in the lane on perfectly straight roads. Made me a bit nauseous.

Progress, but still a ways to go, in my book.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I just got 17.26.76 - seems this is the AP2 rollout indeed...

Since my garage doesn't have WiFi (or very good cell network coverage), my trick is to park outside and connect to my phone's WiFi hotspot. 15 mins usually does the trick... then I park it up again in the garage, and 20 mins later I get the update notification. Entire process is complete within an hour...

Looking forward to taking it for a spin!

Edit: After reading the release notes, it occurs to me that we *still* don't have automatic high beam headlights in the UK.

Last edited:
got the update last night. Today I tried the Autopilot on the way to work and I found couple issues,
  1. Traffic awareness doesn't work anymore. There is no green, yellow or red at all even I tried to disable it and enable it couple times.
  2. Autopilot doesn't change lane anymore.

Please let us know the impact to HW1 X's......
I got this update 3 days ago and on my AP1 Model X 90D. I noticed 5 things regarding TACC and Autopilot:
  1. The TACC seems to be much smoother when coming to a stop behind a stopped or slowing vehicle. It even was able to detect a stopped vehicle that was further ahead on a curved road, which it didn't do before. It seems to be "vectoring" the deceleration such that it looks like it can predict where the car will come to a stop rather than previously where it would abruptly apply the brakes and then continue to slow.
  2. When going through intersections, the car has a tendency to veer slightly to the right, even though going straight through would have been the best choice. It then centers itself when it detects the lane markings ahead.
  3. It seems that they are using the AP2 algorithm (or code) when following lane markings: i.e. it seems to be wandering more than before.
  4. It does not handle curved roads with poor lane markings better than before - about the same. Same handling as previously when hill cresting (i.e. veers to right or left near top of hill).
  5. There internal database for divided roads seems to be updated, because it's not restricting my Auto Pilot speed in the areas it was previously restricting.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Did u get 17.26.17 or a recent previous update from the SC? The reason I am asking is because, many of us are still in 17.17.4/17 and it seems like folks who have recently got their updates from the SC are getting future updates.
I got the previous update 17.26.17 pushed to my car when I brought it into SC. The 17.26.76 was just downloaded by the car itself when it was hooked to wifi at my home. haven't really noticed much of a difference driving the car.

Anyone else notice that when sitting at a red light with AP2 on with a setting of 1, as the train of cars start to accelerate the Tesla is very slow off the line. I would say that by the time I hit 50 mph Iwas about 75 yards behind the car in front. Eventually it caught up and it settled in at the normal distance. I had to stop at three relights on the way home today and it was the same each time. Don't recall previous versions doing this.

Rated Ramge should be at least 332, I drive all freeway by myself with the 20's and the best I can't ever do is 340 avg/wh mile. I was 384 on the 22's. Also I noticed my 90% charge went from averaging ~227 miles to this morning at 236. My wh/mile were way down today also. Obviously there's a million factors but I'll let everyone know if my avg stars lower and my charge higher with the new update over the next week or so.

It's a nice improvement for sure, carpool lanes need improvement (hopefully soon) but it's getting pretty darn good. Can't wait till they use the side cameras whenever that is.