Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to move the monkey offf. Makes it difficult and annoying to follow the lines. From what little I could see lane changing looked ok
No, watch the monkey, not the lines. It is hanging there only to illustrate the sudden lateral acceleration when changing lanes. I did forget to brighten the drivers display though.

I believe a sensory sensory illusion exaggerates the few decimals of lateral acceleration and that is enough to make auto lane change uncomfortable.

Reactions: _jal_ and malcolm
No, watch the monkey, not the lines. It is hanging there only to illustrate the sudden lateral acceleration when changing lanes. I did forget to brighten the drivers display though.

I believe a sensory sensory illusion exaggerates the few decimals of lateral acceleration and that is enough to make auto lane change uncomfortable.
That's totally how I feel about it. Some people (my father-in-law for instance) do change lanes this abruptly. IMHO it isn't unsafe, but it is uncomfortable at least to me and my wife and kids and my dog.

Right. It's not like it's literally swerving over enough to look like a maniac on video. But if you're in the car, you definitely feel it. It's a lot more abrupt than it was before, because it hesitates... hesitates, then BOOM move over 7 feet. And if that didn't work (e.g. around a curve), it'll repeat that process while straddling lane lines.

The monkey is a good way of demonstrating it.

I'm sure many people manually driving make lane changes like that. Just saw an impressive Mini Cooper in traffic yesterday weaving around everyone in the form of a sine wave. It's more if you have sensitive passengers to motion sickness, this abrupt motion does not help.

I had my first anti-referral today. A friend was about to buy an S. I told him my experiences and showed him this thread. He's off to the Mercedes dealership as we speak.

At some point the word of mouth from owners is going to start leaking out to the media and the company is going to be facing some strong headwinds. Continuing to stonewall is always a bad strategy. They need to be fully open about what's going on, and do something to rebuild confidence.

All the stuff about wives insisting the system be turned off is no joke. It's an indication that in its current form AP is only for hobbyists and tinkerers, and is a detriment to the actual driving experience.

One of these days a Tesla is going to cross a double line on AP right into a head on collision. The company will say they told the driver to remain alert and in control, and it's his own fault all those people are dead. That may give them legal protection, but it won't save them from devastating damage to their reputation.

I had my first anti-referral today. A friend was about to buy an S. I told him my experiences and showed him this thread. He's off to the Mercedes dealership as we speak.

At some point the word of mouth from owners is going to start leaking out to the media and the company is going to be facing some strong headwinds. Continuing to stonewall is always a bad strategy. They need to be fully open about what's going on, and do something to rebuild confidence.

All the stuff about wives insisting the system be turned off is no joke. It's an indication that in its current form AP is only for hobbyists and tinkerers, and is a detriment to the actual driving experience.

One of these days a Tesla is going to cross a double line on AP right into a head on collision. The company will say they told the driver to remain alert and in control, and it's his own fault all those people are dead. That may give them legal protection, but it won't save them from devastating damage to their reputation.

FWIW I hope he applies the same level of judgement to Mercedes and others too. I definitely don't believe in forcing Tesla down peoples' throats as some sort of perfect intelligent high-tech car. That's what leads to dissatisfied customers.

But I came to Tesla after cross shopping many many semiautonomous systems including the dual-camera multi-radar variants from Mercedes and Volvo's Pilot Assist. I encourage everyone to do the same thing and arrive at their own conclusion. The market is pretty flooded with these systems now, and each has their own unique sets of strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: croman

I am pretty sure he will have no issues with Mercedes autonomous features - because he will never use them.

I have tried the lane change feature in Mercedes. With both hands on the wheel and gently nudging, it is so damn smooth.

The monkey will not even notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Turing
@chillaban My 2015 Acura MDX lane-keeping and Adaptive Cruise Control works better than my AP2 Tesla, especially in stop and go traffic. It delivers what it promised, which is assistance to an active driver.

If the menu says filet mignon and I get a hamburger at steak prices I'm going to be dissatisfied even if it's a very good hamburger. Tesla needs to add honesty and modesty to its list of features. A high performance electric car is a miracle. Give me.back my EAP payment, provide industry standard LKA and ACC and I will be a happy customer.

Good to see AP2 changing lanes normally on uncrowned highways in the video. Many of my lane changes on empty freeways have had similar results. A few are so slow that the vehicle only goes halfway across the line and pauses a moment before completing the lane change.

The very fast lane changes mostly occurred with crowded conditions. Perhaps Tesla wants to move the car quickly before the available space disappears. That is okay when I drive alone, but not with passengers. Maybe seat sensors can alter AP2 to be less aggressive for passengers while retaining the sportier lane change for solo drivers.

@chillaban My 2015 Acura MDX lane-keeping and Adaptive Cruise Control works better than my AP2 Tesla, especially in stop and go traffic. It delivers what it promised, which is assistance to an active driver.

If the menu says filet mignon and I get a hamburger at steak prices I'm going to be dissatisfied even if it's a very good hamburger. Tesla needs to add honesty and modesty to its list of features. A high performance electric car is a miracle. Give me.back my EAP payment, provide industry standard LKA and ACC and I will be a happy customer.
I love driving my Tesla, and it's very cool and so on. But, I did a 1,000 mile round trip drive in our Subaru Outback and TACC and lane maintenance assist were really pretty good. I'd say it was advertised as a McDonald's burger but I got a Five Guys with that system. It's nowhere near as feature rich as EAP is supposed to be eventually in 3-6 months :rolleyes:, but at this stage of EAP the Subaru system works. And it's in a $30k car. It's an ugly car, but a great car anyhow

• Love
Reactions: oktane and Tangible

So you think Mercedes drive pilot is better?

Here is a reveiw from theDrive that also links to other similar reviews:

Drive Pilot: Steering

Another disaster. This is actually a dangerous product. The car will steer itself into oncoming traffic. It oscillates between lane markings like a drunk driver. No setting or speed is sufficient to compensate for the utter failure of this functionality.

Did anyone in Stuttgart drive a Tesla on Autopilot? Even once?

People need to be fired. Think I’m being harsh? Here’s another direct comparison between Drive Pilot and Autopilot, from Norway’s Autofil. Scroll down to the pictures comparing the two cars' lane keeping. Need more convincing? Here's Wired's take. Still don't believe me? Video is coming soon, via Drive on NBC Sports.

Drive Pilot: Upgradeability

None, according to Mercedes-Benz, at least not for cars already in customers' hands. I’m not sure I believe them. It’s Mercedes-Benz. This level of product cannot stand. They have to update this, even if they don’t tell anyone.

And at least with Tesla's AP, there is a very good chance it will be much better in 6 months and again in 12 months. Where whatever Mercedes system your friend buys, it wont be any better in 6 months or 12 months, ect.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OBX John
So you think Mercedes drive pilot is better?

No, I didn't say that. I know nothing about MB drive pilot.

I do agree that Tesla's OTA upgrades are hugely important. The hope that the December 2016 deliverables may actually arrive while I still own the car is, as the saying goes, better late than never. I do worry, though, that the touted EAP and FSD capabilities may require unforeseen - or undisclosed - hardware improvements that we will never see.

When Mobileye was in control, rhe system was a damn sight better. I believe my AP1 car has regressed. Now fails to park itself which it used to do, ping pongs in lanes etc. it may be a bit smoother coming to a stop behind cars at the lights, but I trust it less now than I did a year ago.