Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this update last night, and tried it this morning...

AutoSteer does work to 50 mph, and TACC is still working well on the freeway (I didn't get it up to 80, though), despite it still triggering a few erroneous slowdowns when using it on surface streets from center divider and vehicles in turning lanes. The "fluid lines" are more frequent now, but still relatively random, and I haven't seen them red yet (but definitely in yellow - so maybe they are progressive - white - yellow - red). The fluid lines do not always appear when they should, IMO, as they sometimes do not come on even when another vehicle is definitely in my blind spot to the rear on either side of my lane. In fact, the frontal lines rarely appear at all when approaching a vehicle from behind on either side until I'm actually even with or past its rear bumper - much too late for a warning to help me out.

Additionally, I still have the "wiggling" lane indicators when using AutoSteer, and the vehicle indicators are not always consistently on when there are vehicles in front of me in the lane (including sometimes at a stop light). So, I still don't feel comfortable relying on any of these indicator systems yet for blind spot detection - still too random.

I had an AP1 2015 P85DL before, and it had vehicle indicators for cars on either side of the Tesla in addition to those in front - so I'm hoping future updates will add that feature to AP2, as I find they were much more useful than the fluid lines. I'm also guessing, because of their randomness and timing, that the fluid lines are only using the ultrasonic sensors, and that the side cameras are still not active...

Actually you can set it to auto update so that you get it when it is released or you can disable auto updates and update it manually or not at all as you choose (there is also an only auotupdate on WIFI option).

99% of the time this means I can install any update any time I want. But for a major software roll out that faces millions of users they do the random seeding percentage thing to phase in the new version. Google has an algorithm that does this automatically. The developer of the app can't control who gets it unless they offer a beta/test version but they can change the rate/percentage of users that get it in a chunk.

Release app updates with staged rollouts - Developer Console Help

I think the earlier poster was talking about Android OS updates, not app updates. Apple releases iOS updates to all users and all devices simultaneously, whereas on Android you have to wait until your specific carrier pushes the update to your specific device.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Unless you have a Google device in which case you get frequent updates.
Even with a Google/Nexus device, you still have to wait on them to send out the OS update. As @sdorn mentioned, when there's a new iOS release, they all get it at once. With Android, you have to wait until it is released, very similar to how Tesla handles software updates. We have half a dozen Google/Nexus devices in the house and when there's a new OS update, they each get it on a random date.

You can choose "Check for Update" in Android but probably 98% of the time that I've gotten updates on my Google/Nexus devices, it just shows up on some random date.

Google/Nexus OS updates definitely arrive faster than on other Android devices but they still aren't simultaneous.

Went for a drive after installing 17.5.28 and auto steer worked well up to 50mph. On way back it was snowing and auto steer suddenly turned off with warning: Auto Steering Disabled: forward radar signal disabled (or something to that effect). When I got home I noticed most of the front bumper was coated with snow. Where is the radar located? Would a layer of snow disable it from working? I also noticed a highway (HW 99 leaving downtown Seattle) that previously allowed me to use auto steer a few days ago, no longer did. Anyone else find that?

Went for a drive after installing 17.5.28 and auto steer worked well up to 50mph. On way back it was snowing and auto steer suddenly turned off with warning: Auto Steering Disabled: forward radar signal disabled (or something to that effect). When I got home I noticed most of the front bumper was coated with snow. Where is the radar located?

On new Model S, the radar is behind the redesigned nose. On the older Model Ss, the radar is under the nose cone and behind the grill.

Went for a drive after installing 17.5.28 and auto steer worked well up to 50mph. On way back it was snowing and auto steer suddenly turned off with warning: Auto Steering Disabled: forward radar signal disabled (or something to that effect). When I got home I noticed most of the front bumper was coated with snow. Where is the radar located? Would a layer of snow disable it from working? I also noticed a highway (HW 99 leaving downtown Seattle) that previously allowed me to use auto steer a few days ago, no longer did. Anyone else find that?

Same here. Went for a drive last night here in Seattle when it was snowing and halfway thru TACC disabled due to front radar visibility error - don't remember exactly text. There was a beep when it disabled, but not very noticeable (would like a bigger alert). When came back home, front bumper was covered in light snow (see attached pic).

IMG_0639.jpg

On the positive side, the car (75D) handled beautifully in snow. I purposefully drove on side of the freeway with more snow, where no one was driving and it had no issues going thru it. I could pretty much do 60 mph in snow and the car felt totally solid, while I could see other cars slipping and skidding. Saw a car spin out, turn around 180 and almost hit the freeway divider, while my car was solid as a rock.

• Informative
Reactions: DJ 240V
Odd, I've driven in thick snow once with more covering my front and not had an issue. My ultrasonics would occasionally think I was about to crash though (they'd say STOP but I was no where near anything) but after 1-2 seconds they'd realize it was all good. Maybe I was just lucky in how the snow covered it (it was big flakes and very fluffy).

Odd, I've driven in thick snow once with more covering my front and not had an issue. My ultrasonics would occasionally think I was about to crash though (they'd say STOP but I was no where near anything) but after 1-2 seconds they'd realize it was all good. Maybe I was just lucky in how the snow covered it (it was big flakes and very fluffy).
Maybe then it was because it was snowing at that point and the visibility had something to do with it.

Can someone tell me what is and what is not supposed to work as of this firmware version in terms of overall features I went straight from an older 180 firmware to this and still not sure what is supposed to work and what is not. Here are all the things I think I am "missing"

Auto wipers - Doesnt work for me, just runs like manual
Auto headlights - doesnt work
Summon feature - Dont see any indication of summon anywhere, isnt this supposed to be available now?
Auto-pilot - After the update the car said it needs about a day of driving, but now it says Unavailable, Contact tesla service.
TACC - I am not sure if this is tied to the above

Anything else I am missing?

1- Auto wipers - Doesnt work for me, just runs like manual
2- Auto headlights - doesnt work
3- Summon feature - Dont see any indication of summon anywhere, isnt this supposed to be available now?
4-Auto-pilot - After the update the car said it needs about a day of driving, but now it says Unavailable, Contact tesla service.
5-TACC - I am not sure if this is tied to the above

Anything else I am missing?

1- that's correct. Not enabled yet
2- auto headlights works, auto high beam doesn't
3- that's correct. Not enabled yet
4- autopilot = TACC + autosteer. Both are enabled, TACC up to 80mph, autosteer on highway only up to 50mph. If you have the latest FW, check your configuration tab in the car to activate the feature.
5- see 4 :)

What's your firmware version ? 17.5.28?

Last edited: