Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> posted some photos of the Gorilla tuner-style splined lug nuts compared with the Tesla OEM lug nuts. [NJS1207]

Lug Nuts-aftermarket vs TM OEM.jpg
Lug Nuts-aftermarket vs TM_OEM.jpg
Lug Nuts-aftermarket vs_TM_OEM.jpg
Lug Nuts-aftermarket_vs_TM_OEM.jpg

> Like the Tesla, the Camaro uses a 14x1.5 lug nut, although Chevy has a torque spec of 190 N/M (140 ft/lbs) --- even higher than Tesla's. [NJS1207]

We need to see photos of the Camero OEM lug nuts that GM specs to 140 lbs.

Comment from the Camero thread:
"Also keep in mind that the locks and other aftermarket nuts have a completely different contact area than the factory nuts."

Smart dude. Looking at the comparison shots, which are excellent btw, you can see that the TM lug nut has at least *twice* the taper contact area, and then add to this the shoulder contact area. Do not discount the value of the shoulder area; this is ~all used since the rim drilling offers a close fit to the lugnut major diameter. When that shoulder begins to hit, at about 90 ft lbs, it tightens quickly to the final 130 ft lb spec. This OEM rim ain't goin' nowhere, IMHO. Doing the same to these splined nuts would give me the heebie jeebies. Yes, that's what this old junk-yard geezer calls it. :eek:

No way I'll drive my ModelS with anything but Tesla Lug Nuts on rims made specifically for those nuts. And for the foreseeable future we have only two choices: the Tesla 21in and the Tesla 19in rims. Why worry about cracked & shredded rims?? But please share photos/videos of rims shredding/exploding etc.
--

Last edited:
> posted some photos of the Gorilla tuner-style splined lug nuts compared with the Tesla OEM lug nuts. [NJS1207]

> Like the Tesla, the Camaro uses a 14x1.5 lug nut, although Chevy has a torque spec of 190 N/M (140 ft/lbs) --- even higher than Tesla's. [NJS1207]

We need to see photos of the Camero OEM lug nuts that GM specs to 140 lbs.

Comment from the Camero thread:
"Also keep in mind that the locks and other aftermarket nuts have a completely different contact area than the factory nuts."

Smart dude. Looking at the comparison shots, which are excellent btw, you can see that the TM lug nut has at least *twice* the taper contact area, and then add to this the shoulder contact area. Do not discount the value of the shoulder area; this is ~all used since the rim drilling offers a close fit to the lugnut major diameter. When that shoulder begins to hit, at about 90 ft lbs, it tightens quickly to the final 130 ft lb spec. This OEM rim ain't goin' nowhere, IMHO. Doing the same to these splined nuts would give me the heebie jeebies. Yes, that's what this old junk-yard geezer calls it. :eek:

No way I'll drive my ModelS with anything but Tesla Lug Nuts on rims made specifically for those nuts. And for the foreseeable future we have only two choices: the Tesla 21in and the Tesla 19in rims. Why worry about cracked & shredded rims?? But please share photos/videos of rims shredding/exploding etc.
--

I think the contact area on the Lugano wheels is an important question that's not addressed here. If the Gorilla lug nuts are flush with and cover the entire contact surface on the Lugano wheels, I'm not so sure I'd be concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the contact area on the Lugano wheels is an important question that's not addressed here. If the Gorilla lug nuts are flush with and cover the entire contact surface on the Lugano wheels, I'm not so sure I'd be concerned.

Agree. We need actual evidence that the nut could be unsafe. If its a worry I would think there could be a custom nut option. I think it's shortsighted to totally dismiss any aftermarket wheel as unsafe without more data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have to pipe in here. It looks like the Tesla lug nuts are shoulder nuts that can also be used on a tapered "spare" wheel. It is impossible to have both a taper and shoulder in the same setup. The tolerances are not zero so only one setup will work at a time. I have a Mercedes with shoulder lug nuts but the spare wheel is tapered so Mercedes supplies an extra set of tapered lugs for the spare. I think Tesla has a good idea here.

I checked Rial website
The Lugano's with 20mm offset and 5x112 is TUV approved for BMW 760i which has 327kWh and 3100lb back wheel load allowed
So since Tesla has 120mm lug spacing, would take the torque slightly better (this is all when using original Rial Lug nuts (they call them D13)
I am convinced Lugano is perfectly safe to use on a Tesla!

Here's kinda of a dumb question (ok maybe not-so-dumb?), wouldn't putting aftermarket rims on the Model S risk voiding your warranty in the event something happens? Lets say an axle cracks or something....(which I've had before on my Murano) .. I would think that Tesla would just be like "sorry bro - you put aftermarket wheels on your car that put additional pressure on the axle and cracked it" (I'm basically making this up but you get the general idea)... comments?

Here's kinda of a dumb question (ok maybe not-so-dumb?), wouldn't putting aftermarket rims on the Model S risk voiding your warranty in the event something happens? Lets say an axle cracks or something....(which I've had before on my Murano) .. I would think that Tesla would just be like "sorry bro - you put aftermarket wheels on your car that put additional pressure on the axle and cracked it" (I'm basically making this up but you get the general idea)... comments?

Tesla would have to prove in court (if it came to that) that the wheel caused the damage. Assuming you put on aftermarket wheels with the same offset as the factory wheels, that would be pretty hard to prove. On the other hand if you put on wheels that were quite different in offset--well, you're on your own then.

I think these rims look awesome. While I love the look of the 21s, I've decided I like the smoother ride I'll likely get with 19s, and the choices in tires. I'm going for the same setup as OP.

So, has anyone else actually pulled the trigger and bought these? Only NJS1207 seems to have driven on these Luganos, unless I've missed something in the thread.

T-minus ~3 weeks til I get my car. Can't wait.

NJS how are the wheels doing? do you have the performance S?

I have been very pleased with the wheels. They look great and have performed well. I have about 2500 miles on them now. I rotated them after 1500 miles, and have had the torque on the lug nuts checked a few times. I do have the performance S.

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering if these Luganos come in 20 inch that would be appropriate for the Model S.
I looked on the Rial and tunershop websites, but I have not seen the Luganos advertised in 20".

- - - Updated - - -

Did you measure the weight of the wheels? Have you noticed a change in range (good or bad)?

I am not sure what the weight of the wheels is. Effect on range is a tough question to answer. First, I only had the 21" wheels on the car for about a week before swapping them for the Luganos. Second, the cold weather is a range killer. Although range seems relatively poor lately (about 415 wh/mi average), I would not place much if any of the blame on the wheels.

I have been very pleased with the wheels. They look great and have performed well. I have about 2500 miles on them now. I rotated them after 1500 miles, and have had the torque on the lug nuts checked a few times. I do have the performance S.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked on the Rial and tunershop websites, but I have not seen the Luganos advertised in 20".

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure what the weight of the wheels is. Effect on range is a tough question to answer. First, I only had the 21" wheels on the car for about a week before swapping them for the Luganos. Second, the cold weather is a range killer. Although range seems relatively poor lately (about 415 wh/mi average), I would not place much if any of the blame on the wheels.

Planning to buy the silver rial Lugano wheel. Can you tell me if the stock tires will with fit this wheel or what? Or am I better off selling the tires with the stock wheels and getting new replacement tires? My car is probably to arrive in May

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

njs - I'd like to order a set.... can you supply links/info on how to order the wheels, the exacts size, as well as where to get the concentric adaptors and spacers? :)

Detailed instructions for ordering the wheels are posted earlier in this thread (entry # 59). Here is the link: 19 Turbine Wheel Solution - Page 6

- - - Updated - - -

Planning to buy the silver rial Lugano wheel. Can you tell me if the stock tires will with fit this wheel or what? Or am I better off selling the tires with the stock wheels and getting new replacement tires? My car is probably to arrive in May

You can definitely use the stock 19" tires. I am currently driving on the winter Pirellis I purchased from TM.

- - - Updated - - -

found one manufacture of turbine rims
they come in silver and black
RIAL Leichtmetallfelgen - RIAL Leichtmetallfelgen - LUGANO

Tunershop.com is the US distributor for Rial.