Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I understand correctry, it is best to install truck-wheels on a model S?
Maybe warn Tirerack.com ;-)

Re: my sketch of Tesla OEM lug nuts [post 85]. CORRECT this sketch to remove any shoulder contact. Contact is ONLY in the taper as on most/all rims. On the first ModelS I got my hands on sufficient to pop off a wheel, it appeared that there would be shoulder contact. Very hard to see if this was the case since lugnut disappears down into the tapered hole. Thin strip of paper would have confirmed contact/no contact, but we were out in a parking lot at the time.

At the Tesla Shop I looked at a black, instead of plain stainless, lugnut that had a very small shoulder. This would indicate the shoulder is there just to wrap the stainless steel cover around, not for contacting the rim.

Regardless, the taper contact area on the TESLA branded OEM rims is huge just by itself. Thus can handle 125 ft lbs of torque. Be sure any aftermarket rims have an equivalent taper contact area so you can use the OEM lugnuts (don't use dinky 14mm nuts).

Btw, the shoulder flare on the OEM lugnuts does serve as an extra bit of safety in case the rim cracks and tries to exit the hub.

Please, if you shred a rim with the S, photos!!, or it didn't happen.

Just noticed this:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> Lug nuts:
If you order wheels from Tunershop, you should specify in the notes that you need M14x1.5 lug nuts, otherwise they will ship the wheels with M12x1.5 lug nuts, which will not fit. Because of a timing issue, I ended up buying lug nuts from Summit Racing, Gorilla Small Diameter Lug Nuts 26144HT - SummitRacing.com, which were suggested by the parts advisor at Tesla. They are only $56.99 for a set, and they are locking nuts, which is a bonus.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These dinky lugnuts are a joke on the ModelS. 'Small diameter' = worthless to handle the power/torque/4700 lb weight. NOT Ok. LOL.

So you plan to only econo-cruise with a raw egg under your right foot using 250 kw/mi max, never turn off TC, never dish out attitude adjustments (when necessary), and never try a curve at speed. Like low riders cruising about on donuts down on the snubbers.
--

Last edited:
After my second sidewall failure in a couple of months last night, I'm concerned the 21" wheels simply aren't going to stand up during winters 'round these parts. To be fair, one was my fault for curbing the tire, but I'm concerned about the cold. I love the look of the turbine wheels - to the point that basic spoke wheels just look plain and uninteresting to me.

I'm always concerned about centering rings and the the like, and since some have taken the plunge with the 19" wheels, I'd like to get your perspective on how they've been working for you... any updates here? Any issues with studs, centering rings, etc.? Are you inspecting them to see if there is any premature wear?

After my second sidewall failure in a couple of months last night, I'm concerned the 21" wheels simply aren't going to stand up during winters 'round these parts. To be fair, one was my fault for curbing the tire, but I'm concerned about the cold. I love the look of the turbine wheels - to the point that basic spoke wheels just look plain and uninteresting to me.

I'm always concerned about centering rings and the the like, and since some have taken the plunge with the 19" wheels, I'd like to get your perspective on how they've been working for you... any updates here? Any issues with studs, centering rings, etc.? Are you inspecting them to see if there is any premature wear?

FlasherZ,
I did a fair amount of research before purchasing these wheels, but I don't have nearly the knowledge or experience on this topic of some on this forum (e.g. wycolo, jerry33). All I can tell you is that the wheel/tire combo performed admirably for me this winter. The wheels require a centering ring, but unless you buy something custom, almost every aftermarket wheel will. They were not an issue to put in, and --- as far as I can tell --- have not adversely affected performance or safety.

My hope is to make the switch to summer tires this weekend. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding photos or measurements I can take of the wheels, lug nuts, etc. once they are off to assess how everything held up. I am particularly interested in thoughts on how to look for any wear patterns that might be symptomatic of a problem that might not have manifested itself yet in a way I would notice on my daily drive. I will, of course, post them for the group. Without having taken those measurements and based purely on my personal experience to date, I would recommend these wheels.

Thank you!

As I was putting on my brand new tire, I noticed yet another small broken "cut" in another one of my tires. I don't know if I got a bad batch, or something happened in the factory, but this would be the second tire to have a small cut in the sidewall. If this is normal for these tires in the winter, I will have to do something differently.

The cut is probably about 1/16" deep and only on the high ridge where the tire comes out from the mounting surface. No marks on the AlloyGators to indicate hitting something.

The cut is probably about 1/16" deep and only on the high ridge where the tire comes out from the mounting surface. No marks on the AlloyGators to indicate hitting something.

Sometimes cuts like that happen during transport. Car washes with tracks can also do it, as can objects thrown up by the tire. A picture would help.

Ask and you shall receive...

uploadfromtaptalk1364606012570.jpg

Ask and you shall receive...

That appears to be caused by an object in the road that was thrown up by the tire. It doesn't have the signature of transport or car wash damage. You can see the trail past where the cut is. A stationary object that the tire rubs against (like a track in a car wash) leaves a much more circular pattern.

I took off my Rial Lugano/Pirelli Sottozero wheels/tires today. Here is the information imprinted on the inside of the wheels, and some details about the tread depth of the tires as of today. Hopefully someone can provide a view on whether there are any performance issues with these wheels. This wheel/tire combo was on for 5000 miles.

Here is what is imprinted on the inside of the wheels. If anyone can interpret the info that would be great:
Rial
Germany
LK 120 WI
ET 32
KI UW
X X G B4
LU 859
8.5Jx19H2

Following are details about the current treadwear on the tires. The wear was relatively even on the inside and outside of each wheel.
Front: 7mm/10 32nds
Rear: outside: 7mm/9 32nds. Inside: 6 mm/7 32nds

hope this is helpful.

The wear was relatively even on the inside and outside of each wheel.

That right there would be worth a lot to me. :) After 3k miles my rear has substantially more wear on the inside than the outside (the camber issue noted).

I may have to go the Rial route. I really, really like the look of the turbine wheels, although I don't care whether they're 19" or 21". I'm concerned about the longetivity of 21" tires - I've already cut one from curbing, I had one failure from a pothole, and the pic up above shows yet another cut.

Anything look out-of-the-ordinary after pulling them off?

@NSJ1207: Thank you for all of the helpful information in this thread. I am very likely going to follow in your footsteps with the Rial Lugano 19" wheels. Did you ever find a way to get a Tesla center cap that would fit?

Seeking 19" rim that has similar appearance as 21" rim

I have had a Porsche with 20" wheels for past several years, and though I like the low profile, I'm opting for the 19" wheels on the Tesla S. That said, I prefer the rims that come with the 21" wheels (see attached image):

twentyone.jpg

So it appears I'm going to have to locate rims that look like these in the after market. Recommendations? And if not these, I'm open to suggestions on other smart rims to show off the car. Thanks!

@NSJ1207: Thank you for all of the helpful information in this thread. I am very likely going to follow in your footsteps with the Rial Lugano 19" wheels. Did you ever find a way to get a Tesla center cap that would fit?

I made contact with a vendor that said they could manufacture aluminum billet center caps that would fit, although I never followed through on it. The company was EVOD Industries is California. I hope to get them made or find another alternative before the wheels go back on in the fall. My personal preference is to match the aluminum billet look of the OEM centercaps. That said, I know some others on the forums are working on some stickers that look fantastic and can be affixed to the center caps that come with the Rial wheels (or to blank center caps you can get off E-bay).

- - - Updated - - -

So it appears I'm going to have to locate rims that look like these in the after market. Recommendations? And if not these, I'm open to suggestions on other smart rims to show off the car. Thanks!

Rial Luganos from Tunershop.com

I'm very interested in the Rial Luganos for a just-ordered Model S. There seems to be some debate, though, as to the safety of the aftermarket 19" turbine wheels due to the need for different lug nuts which apparently do not spec to OEMs. Since I'm by no means a "car guy," can someone interpret Wycolo's posts about the lug nuts? NJS1207's "real world" experience seems to indicate the aftermarket wheels/lug nuts performed well...

NJS1207's "real world" experience seems to indicate the aftermarket wheels/lug nuts performed well...

The problem with "real world experience" is that it seldom takes into account the extreme conditions that it's possible for the wheels and fasteners to be subject to. This doesn't mean that there will be a problem, but it never hurts to err on the side of caution. I've seen far too many people decide that they don't need tires that have at least the same carrying capacity as the OE tires and then complain when the tires fail--often dramatically--to ever be happy with a less-than-OE-performance solution.

@NJS1207: Thank you very much for all the research you did into this.

I am just about to place my order for a Model S Performance. I really like the 21" rims far more than the 19" rims, at least aesthetically. My main concern is that I like to drive to Mammoth to ski 4 or 5 times a year, and would rather drive this than borrow someone's SUV (By the recent announcement of supercharger stations, there should be at least a couple on the way there). I have spent considerable time trying to see if anyone has used chains on the 21" option, but could not find anyone who as tried. My inspection of the Model S leads me to believe that that there is plenty of clearance, but the chains may overlay on top of the rims and cause significant damage the them. I have been looking for alternative chains, such at Mita, though I have not been able to find any real world experience posted anywhere. I am also unsure if California DOT would accept them. If anyone has any experience or advise with this, please let me know. I have no need for winter tires otherwise.

So, if I am going to go your route with the 19" Rials, so I can use chains when needed, all I have to do is:
  1. Buy the Tesla (will order it this week hopefully)
  2. Buy the rims from Tunershop, along with the correct M14x1.5 lug nuts
  3. Ask them to be shipped straight to the Tesla service center

Can I just ask TM to swap their supplied tires onto the new rims? I guess I could sell the original rims to help offset the cost a bit.
How much do you think Tesla would charge me for the whole thing? Tire exchange, TPMS, etc? I do not have a service plan, nor do I intend to get one.

Thanks

I just read through every post on this thread, and just answered my question that I can indeed use the supplied tires on the new rims. I can't seem to edit posts (at least not yet).

Now, having read all 14 pages, I have yet to hear from a single other poster that they actually followed in NJS1207's footsteps. I see plenty of people saying they will, but has anybody else done this? Anybody?