TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

1st annual check up fee? $450??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Mar 26, 2018.

1. zambono

zambono Active Member

I’m only going to do every 2 years max

2. Not1Drop

Not1Drop Member

#62 Not1Drop, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    In twice a year, tire change in spring and fall. Car get's a once over and don't mind the service every second visit as it's usually been 40k km since the last service as opposed to 20k.
    Only scheduled visit i've strictly followed so far was the 80k km fluid change, so guess we're coming up on another soon at 160k. We knew we would drive more than average per year so never considered the pre-paid service plan. Do wish there was some form of extended warranty for high mileage owners though.

3. David29

David29 Supporting Member

I was surprised by the cost, too, especially as I drive less than 12,000 miles per year, so I was tempted to skip them. But the terms of my US Bank lease appear to require the maintenance and i do not wish to get into a contest about that. I think if I owned the car i might shift to doing it every 15-20K miles or so.

4. P85Dave

P85Dave Member

I agree that makes sense but does the ESA not spell out a requirement for sticking to the established maintenance schedule to preserve the validity of the ESA?

• Informative x 1
  5. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Good point. Not too sure...

6. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

That first service the most important thing is drive unit(s) oil replacement. Its a transaxle and reports are there is always some amount of metal shavings normal or not in the oil that is changed. IF you don't do it, that normal metal shavings after thousands of miles and out of warranty could possibly be buying a new transaxle housing or failure. Wipers are 50 bucks and you figure out how to change them.

The coolant is a must down the road.

• Helpful x 1
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Says the person that does not actually know what they do.

• Disagree x 1
  8. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

So, did anybody try to ask a service center to only change drive unit fluid and skip the rest of items (if this was the first year)?
    Would not it be much cheaper?

9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Have you seen the actual list of things that are checked and serviced from the service manual?

10. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Great question

11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Yes, I have.

• Like x 1
  12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Well then you would know it's a bit more that changing key fob battery and filling the wiper fluid.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I'm at 57k miles and haven't done the 4th year service that usually comes with coolant replacement and brake fluid replacement. Any idea if I can do it individually w/o service package or can I wait till 70k?

14. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I had the Dallas SC do the coolant change only and they charged $230 (I did the rest of the service myself).

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Last time I read it, it did. But that was over a year ago when I had to decide whether to buy it for the last S before the 50K mark.

First annual service is coming up for this S this month assuming they can fit me in. I assume it’ll be the 25K service due to mileage.

Which is another way of saying I don’t plan to read the new version of the ESA for another... 8 months or so :). But it wouldn’t surprise me if that requirement still exists for post-50,000 mile servicings, meaning that if one doesn’t pony up the $450, $600, $450 and $900 or whatever it is during the subsequent 4 years or 50K miles (on top of the $4250 or $4750 ESA (depending upon whether you bought it during the first 6 months of ownership)), Tesla could say “too bad”.

Same applies for the new 2-year/25K variant.

• Like x 1
  16. Raechris

Raechris Member

I find it interesting that we have purchased a 100k+|- car and are having such spirited discussion over another 500 per year. Good points all around. IMHO let’s agree to disagree instead of hostile tones. My 2 cents is don’t risk an expensive technology machine to anyone but SC who will be liable if they mess it up. My MB/VW/Infiniti/Audi have all cost much more than 500/yr for pads and rotors alone with or without manual transmissions from NE winters near the water - seizing or wearing out in 20k miles (excuse performance parts) and these were always wear items not covered by any agreement or warranty. Let’s not forget our constant firmware updates adding features, improvements and maps without additional costs.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  17. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

It’s actually another ~$2700/year for years 3 and 4 for owners with the ESA who drive 25,000 miles/year, after the higher annual service amounts for years 1 and 2 (call that $1500 total) at 25,000 miles/year.

Plus guaranteed tire replacement at the end of year 1 since the GETs last only half as long as the former Michelin OEMs. Call that another $2000 over 4 years.

So that’s $9000 over 4 years and 100,000 miles after which there is zero warranty coverage beyond the main battery, motor and inverter.

A little different than $500/year.

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

You can have individual items done a la carte.

19. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I did the 2 year service at 24k miles (and one year) because the AC system needed some work. Not planning on the 4 year service until I get to year 4. Just over 2 years and 50k miles now.

• Informative x 1
  20. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Member

Impressed by the modest costs of MB servicing in the USA.
    My MB service costs were around GBP400/year. If the car needed pads and discs it could be 2x or 3x that. I don't think that in any of the many years of MB ownership I had that I spent less than £500 per year on service excluding tyres, wipers, and bulbs. As for + ~GBP10 for unnecessary windscreen washer fluid refills... Still, the never-needed but reassuring Mobilo warranty/roadside assistance was included.

Given the price of the Tesla, the annual maintenance cost of GBP450 to GBP825 seems OK to me despite the 'less to go wrong' type claims. Plus, the service interval for MBs was 10,000 miles or 1 year. It rather disappointed me to get the COMAND alerts at 8,000 miles with the telephone call all cued up waiting for me to press 'dial'. Having said that, I'm nearly half way through to that with the Tesla after a couple of months. It's just nicer to be in and drive so I use it for more work journeys and it gets used for all family journeys.