Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st EAP feature for AP2/2.5 reportedly released tonight: auto lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know which 4 cameras EAP is supposed to use? Is it the forward 3 and the rear? Or is it one of the forward ones + 2 side + rear?

I would think this would be an FSD feature, not EAP. There's no way they can do this with just the ultrasonics, so it has to use the side cameras.

Yes. Front main and front wide cameras, plus each rear-facing side camera. Those are EAP.

FSD then should enable the front-facing B pillar cameras, thr narrow front cam, and the rear camera.

Yes. Front main and front wide cameras, plus each rear-facing side camera. Those are EAP.

FSD then should enable the front-facing B pillar cameras, thr narrow front cam, and the rear camera.
Well fisheye isn't doing anything now and I'm pretty sure I remember @verygreen confirming that main + narrow is in use now.

Anyway I really don't care which cameras are being "used" as long as the features become available. For all I care, they could (and should) use all sensors regardless of upgrade package, only limiting the features you get

Well fisheye isn't doing anything now and I'm pretty sure I remember @verygreen confirming that main + narrow is in use now.

Anyway I really don't care which cameras are being "used" as long as the features become available. For all I care, they could (and should) use all sensors regardless of upgrade package, only limiting the features you get

It makes the most sense but Tesla has been very clear about which cameras for which package which I found odd as those details were mostly irrelevant to consumer purchasing decisions (its about the features themselves and not how Tesla delivers them).

It makes the most sense but Tesla has been very clear about which cameras for which package which I found odd as those details were mostly irrelevant to consumer purchasing decisions (its about the features themselves and not how Tesla delivers them).
Yah, and I'm not even sure we have a good enough understanding of what "use" means in this context. Especially now that @verygreen has enlightened us that there are discrete NNs for each camera/group.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

I am extremely skeptical of this whole 4-camera vs 8-camera thing. I think they just wanted something quantitative in the bullet points for FSD vs EAP for marketing purposes. When I look at the feature set of EAP vs FSD, those features need roughly the same sensor inputs. The long camera, for example, is critical at high speeds where both EAP and FSD operate. The side cameras (both forward- and rear-facing) are equally important to EAP and FSD for lane changing, "smart summon", curvy roads ("EAP+"). The ones I can see being useful for FSD but less so for EAP are the fisheyes (front and rear). FSD needs the forward fisheye in particular when entering an unprotected intersection (e.g., side road T intersection to main road) to see traffic approaching from the sides.

In the end, even EAP is hard enough to do well that they will want to make use of every useful camera, regardless of what the BS marketing was. The possible exception would be if there's not enough GPU horsepower in there right now (which there isn't). In this case, FSD may get hardware upgrades (presumably free) but not EAP, and then EAP would be constrained to a more limited set of cameras by GPU capacity. Even so, I would expect it to change which cameras it's using at any point in time -- for smart summon or EAP+ on curvy roads, the fisheye is way more useful than the long forward camera, so I'd expect them to use them. But then at highway speeds, the fisheye is less useful whereas the long camera is essential. It may briefly turn on either the fisheye or the B-pillar (side-forward) cameras during lane changes.

I have had this on my S. Very noticable when there's been a frost.

Did you take it to service at all? I wonder if it is this way by design. Can anyone else here confirm? Just takes a minute to walk to the car and shine your phone's flashlight towards the camera housings on the B pillar to see if you see anything that looks like cloudy moisture on it. It's exactly the same way on both of my side cameras.

Autonomous lane change - too funny.
Yea, so meanwhile, traveling home in the AP2 X yesterday, a Harley dude angrily flipped us the bird for a solid 10 seconds, after he finally gets the nerve to try & pass us in a double HOV lane South bound 405 - Orange County. got a broken line to get out of the double HOV - even as the 2 HOV's began to converge into just a single HOV.
½ way into the fast lane - the X dives back into the now single HOV. Mr Harley dude, almost clipped & cut off by this sudden maneuver, coming up fast from behind as i fought the wheel loose from autopilot.
As we are getting flipped off - I gave the appropriate slightly bowed head & hands up - acknowledging it was my fault.
I do expect a 9.0 release sometime this month. Worst case next? We are due for the next major software iteration.
oh dear God - baby Lord Jesus I pray - pleeez no no no!

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I am extremely skeptical of this whole 4-camera vs 8-camera thing. I think they just wanted something quantitative in the bullet points for FSD vs EAP for marketing purposes. When I look at the feature set of EAP vs FSD, those features need roughly the same sensor inputs. The long camera, for example, is critical at high speeds where both EAP and FSD operate. The side cameras (both forward- and rear-facing) are equally important to EAP and FSD for lane changing, "smart summon", curvy roads ("EAP+"). The ones I can see being useful for FSD but less so for EAP are the fisheyes (front and rear). FSD needs the forward fisheye in particular when entering an unprotected intersection (e.g., side road T intersection to main road) to see traffic approaching from the sides.

In the end, even EAP is hard enough to do well that they will want to make use of every useful camera, regardless of what the BS marketing was. The possible exception would be if there's not enough GPU horsepower in there right now (which there isn't). In this case, FSD may get hardware upgrades (presumably free) but not EAP, and then EAP would be constrained to a more limited set of cameras by GPU capacity. Even so, I would expect it to change which cameras it's using at any point in time -- for smart summon or EAP+ on curvy roads, the fisheye is way more useful than the long forward camera, so I'd expect them to use them. But then at highway speeds, the fisheye is less useful whereas the long camera is essential. It may briefly turn on either the fisheye or the B-pillar (side-forward) cameras during lane changes.
In many words you're saying exactly what I've been trying to say from day 1: Smart summon would be such a demanding feature to get right you'd want all sensors operating. IMO you'll want the BUC too, you know, for parking

Reactions: KyleDay
Autonomous lane change - too funny.
Yea, so meanwhile, traveling home in the AP2 X yesterday, a Harley dude angrily flipped us the bird for a solid 10 seconds, after he finally gets the nerve to try & pass us in a double HOV lane South bound 405 - Orange County. got a broken line to get out of the double HOV - even as the 2 HOV's began to converge into just a single HOV.
½ way into the fast lane - the X dives back into the now single HOV. Mr Harley dude, almost clipped & cut off by this sudden maneuver, coming up fast from behind as i fought the wheel loose from autopilot.
As we are getting flipped off - I gave the appropriate slightly bowed head & hands up - acknowledging it was my fault.
oh dear God - baby Lord Jesus I pray - pleeez no no no!

Those lane spilling motorcyclists on 405 in OC (especially in that area, where 605 splits off) are insane. I have had TWO of them take out my side view mirror -- they were going so fast that, despite the force of the impact, they kept going. No dash cams in either case, so I was "at fault" for the damage. Paid out of pocket...

Are we talking about the B-pillar cameras? Because I don't think there are any heaters in there.

There's big holes in the aluminium skeleton so condensation should be moist air from the cabin creeping up into the B-pillar cam area, turning into fog when it meets the cold glass in front of the camera

Reactions: J1mbo
I could be totally wrong, but isn’t the guy who runs that club the same one that posts his super long YouTube videos explaining basic features here every once in a while, and has generally been maligned for his running of the S and 3 owners clubs?

I’m not sure he’s a terribly good source.

I could be totally wrong, but isn’t the guy who runs that club the same one that posts his super long YouTube videos explaining basic features here every once in a while, and has generally been maligned for his running of the S and 3 owners clubs?

I’m not sure he’s a terribly good source.
Let me have a look in the wiring diagrams, just a moment here

Ok, so there's a dedicated Forward Camera Defog power supply (10A) - that's of course the threads on the windshield that you see in front of the tricam block.

Then there's something called "Heater Grid" supply that runs to the AP2.0ECU (PX2 board). The wiring diagram doesn't disclose which cameras get heating power from this thing, so I guess we need the specs on the cameras themselves.

(All the cameras are on HSD wire btw.)

Yes, I'm referring to the side B-pillar cameras. Seems like moisture / fog is trapped on both sides! So weird, though. Might have something to do with the temperature, as we're getting a bit colder weather recently. But I would expect it to go away completely after sitting in my garage or in the sun all day!