Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the “nudge” theory. I’ve noticed this in the last 2 updates to AP1. Speaking of that, any AP1’ers with the new c528 update care to share if it is worth a trip to the SC to install as I’m impatient when it comes to improvements due to my heave autopilot use.

I agree with the “nudge” theory. I’ve noticed this in the last 2 updates to AP1. Speaking of that, any AP1’ers with the new c528 update care to share if it is worth a trip to the SC to install as I’m impatient when it comes to improvements due to my heave autopilot use.
I find it an incremental improvement over 17.26.76, for me 17.26.76 was solid in lane keeping, distance/following, lane change, etc. the only area I saw a noticeable improvement is driving into the sunset with AP, clearly better. Others complain of .76/.92 regarding abrupt lane changes, ping ponging in the lane, not stopping behind stopped traffic .... I experienced none of that (I did on 17.24.28/.30, but not on 17.26.76).

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
OK test drove found this update slightly better than the one before the last. Last update was bad. This is "smoother" but still not totally smooth around a curve like a human driver. It hunts a bit but much more comfortable than any previous firmware.

Still prone to serious errors with merging traffic (doesn't seem to see it) and is very rigid in its following of other cars. Most drivers will allow a slight reduction in following distance if another car merges and gradually increase. This will drive like an insecure driver and apply brake when not necessary if another car is detected. Can put us at risk for rear-end collision if another car behind isn't paying attention and not expecting this behavior.

Also annoying, is if there is a temporary gap in the lane marker bigger than about 10 ft (due to side lanes) the car will still dive towards edges before recentering. Somehow it needs to be aware enough to follow the clearly marked center lane rather than try to center itself between the gap and center lane. Hard to explain.

Reactions: croman
Sure it is, depending on how long a nap you're planning on. What better place to spend eternity than in a Tesla?

Seriously, excellent informative post!

And this is the crux of the matter. AP1 worked well enough on the highway for idiots to chill in the backseat without breaking a sweat. AP2 still doesn't engender the same confidence despite all the hype, increased cost, additional cameras, and false advertising that we were getting an "enhanced" autopilot, now 7 months after the enhanced software was expected to "complete final validation".

Hard to expect to complete final validation when you haven't even started writing the code yet.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yesterday's lane hugging results were similar to the prior day's.

My favorite was this:

View attachment 236841

Oh, hi truck!

Have you only seen this in slow moving traffic? I noticed similar behavior yesterday while stuck in stop-and-go traffic(this was my first time with this update being in traffic).

I haven't seen this at all at normal speeds. Maybe something about their lateral control algorithm makes it not work great when moving very slowly...

And this is the crux of the matter. AP1 worked well enough on the highway for idiots to chill in the backseat without breaking a sweat. AP2 still doesn't engender the same confidence despite all the hype, increased cost, additional cameras, and false advertising that we were getting an "enhanced" autopilot, now 7 months after the enhanced software was expected to "complete final validation".

Hard to expect to complete final validation when you haven't even started writing the code yet.

Honestly I used AP1 on 7.0 on a week long test drive around the same time idiots were making such videos and I DID NOT have that kind of confidence. In fact it made worse mistakes than 17.26.76 and had a ton of lag to recognizing a new car entering your lane or departing your lane.

AP1 gradually improved over the course of 2 years. I think some of us are embellishing our AP1 memories or weren’t along for the ride.

I only have limited experience with AP1 but I find that this latest firmware is smoother and more agile than AP1 in terms of performance. AP1 isn't the holy grail -- it isn't perfection. Feature-wise, we're not at parity but we are getting awfully close in terms of performance (which is ironic because it seemed initially Tesla was only intent on delivering feature parity and not performance parity).

I am actually more hopeful due to the rapid updates coming out and the improvements without steps back in other features/performance. That has to somewhat change your outlook, right?

Reactions: Turing
Got the update as well.
Most things work better then the previous software versions. Lane change is great also much more stable between the lines.
Fast sharper cornes still not so good.

Only today i noticed it did not work at all with a extra line in the road. As the photo shows. (Not sure if it always been this way). Autopilot started to follow the black line then white lines etc. Then it could not get a fix om the road on and off. Not sure why it cannot see the the difference between the black and white lines?

Attachments

• 20170721_123222.jpg
    20170721_123222.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 72
Yep, I updated today and did 130 miles or so, 70 of which were highway...

Seems largely the same as 17.26.76 to me, but with far better/smoother lane changes.

One thing though - I supercharged, and noticed that once the charge was complete there was no 'unlock charge port' button on the 'charge completed screen'. From what I remember, I had to go into the car to unlock the charge connector before I could remove it? This time, there was nothing - I just pressed the button on the supercharger connector itself and it disconnected. Presumably that's only if the car is unlocked? I think that's new... but it's nice - means I don't have to do a little victory lap around the car to unplug the charger.

As for autopilot... lane changes are much better, but all the other quirks are still present. It's still too hesitant and jumpy in terms of applying power and the brakes, certainly not silky smooth - that's my biggest source of tension with AP2 now, which I don't remember ever having with AP1.

It's also still not great in stop-go traffic jams... too heavy footed, and it'll tap the brakes at the last minute which is jarring.

Auto-steer seems pretty good (still makes the occasional odd lane positioning choice -- I'd rather it stay centred or AWAY from traffic next to you!)/ However, I find in general, I'm tensed up for the next random speed fluctuation event, and I'm nervous when I'm on AP and there's a driver behind me - that says a lot.

When they can remove that feeling of tension, and my shoulders relax, then I'll consider that it's reached parity.

Last edited:
Honestly I used AP1 on 7.0 on a week long test drive around the same time idiots were making such videos and I DID NOT have that kind of confidence. In fact it made worse mistakes than 17.26.76 and had a ton of lag to recognizing a new car entering your lane or departing your lane.

AP1 gradually improved over the course of 2 years. I think some of us are embellishing our AP1 memories or weren’t along for the ride.

No, AP1 was not the holy grail. But at least it knew which cars were around it. I used it extensively over the course of several test drives, and never felt uncomfortable relegating control of the car. With AP2 I still am reluctant to remove my hands from steering and feet from hovering over the pedals.

This is a step in the right direction, but no where near parity with AP1, at least from my recollection. It's getting closer though.

Lane change when it works is very smooth, like a human driver. I've had several instances where I signaled for lane change but the car refused to move. In my mind there was plenty of room. Eventually after waiting for a few seconds feeling like an idiot with my blinker on, I yank the steering wheel over thereby cancelling autosteer. I haven't figured out exactly why it won't move over sometimes.

I just finished my first commute with this build. NIGHT AND DAY difference. Much less subtle hunting on straight sections. The random abrupt brake jabs in stop-and-go traffic is gone. On curves that would give AP1 trouble, AP2 handled them like a champ at 80-85mph.

I also noticed there may be curve hugging awareness now — it seemed to subtly bias to the side of curves without a car nearby. Not sure if that's just my imagination or not.

Overall, this feels a lot like AP1 at least on the highway, but able to track faster-changing curves.

Reactions: Turing
Just drove for about 30 mins with 2017.28 c528869 and it fixed all of the issues I had with the previous version (17.26.76). It even solved one major issue that 17.17.17 had, which was diving drastically left and right when a lane got wider or narrower suddenly, such as when driving in the carpool lane when the carpool lane exits come and go.

Just drove for about 30 mins with 2017.28 c528869 and it fixed all of the issues I had with the previous version (17.26.76). It even solved one major issue that 17.17.17 had, which was diving drastically left and right when a lane got wider or narrower suddenly, such as when driving in the carpool lane when the carpool lane exits come and go.

Actually my car still dives all over the place when the lanes are wide and especially when it widens before a split.

Reactions: oktane
Actually my car still dives all over the place when the lanes are wide and especially when it widens before a split.

Interesting. I'm more of a mix. On open freeway, I see almost no hunting for wide lanes or even after a split. On the stretch of freeway near me, there's exactly 1 split where it very subtly hunts around a bit and for all the others, it just goes straight through perfectly.

On the other hand, on surface streets I see a bit more hunting around, particularly when going through an intersection that leads to a wider lane. But then, I don't really expect perfection for surface streets.

Also, just to note, I suspect all these differences are due to the particular roads we're driving on.