Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because AP2 used to be able to do this and then suddenly stopped as of either this update or generally 17.2X.X(I'm not quite sure, but 17.17.X didn't have the issue). @verygreen mentioned that the neural network size decreased massively, so perhaps that's part of what was axed?

Either way, noting these kind of regressions is good.
True, my car used to stop when it came up to a stopped car. I noticed it does not do this anymore and keeps going.

Reactions: BBB4000
Don't like it. Super wavy lane lines are back with a vengeance. Lane changes now take too long and will result in many missed opportunities in moderate to slightly heavy traffic. On the plus side, acceleration and deceleration feel more natural. However, ping pong is much higher than in previous versions. At some point, Tesla needs to give up on dual camera and start throwing all the hardware they have at the problem. I don't expect any meaningful progress until then.

I've noticed that it is sometimes having lots of trouble recognizing the lane markings in places that it didn't before. Ever since I installed this update about a day ago I'm no longer able to rely on AP for my highway commute because there are times where it loses the lane markers. I'm finding that it gives me wavy lines or incorrect lines far more often that before. The situations did involve some sun glare and some areas where the lanes have been redirected (leaving behind some painted over lines) but prior software versions since even before 17.17.17 handled this with no issues. This is discouraging especially since the notes make it sound like not much was changed.

Because AP2 used to be able to do this and then suddenly stopped as of either this update or generally 17.2X.X(I'm not quite sure, but 17.17.X didn't have the issue). @verygreen mentioned that the neural network size decreased massively, so perhaps that's part of what was axed?

Well, on 17.26.76 that had the reduced neural net size I still see stopped cars (ie. as I proceed to park in my garage, the other car inside is detected and is displayed and you can bet it's stationary).

Well, on 17.26.76 that had the reduced neural net size I still see stopped cars (ie. as I proceed to park in my garage, the other car inside is detected and is displayed and you can bet it's stationary).

Worth noting here that I'm going by how the car reacts to stopped cars. I've noticed that the stopped car *does* tend show up on the dash display. Perhaps more about not detecting the correct distance?

No, neither AP1 nor AP2 were ever stated to be able to do this. It's not a feature of the system. If AP2 exhibited something similar to this behavior in the past, that is simply a side effect of the programming and/or some of the safety systems being activated to avoid a forward collision. It is not a controlled, programmed action, and you cannot rely on it.

Stopped cars and other stationary objects are specifically excluded from the radar's detection algorithm because they would cause unnecessary slow downs and emergency braking, both of which are already a problem with AP2. Image that you are going around a freeway curve. The radar detects the concrete retaining wall that's straight ahead. The car isn't going to hit it because the road curves and you are turning away from the retaining wall. But to the radar, it looks exactly like a stationary object directly in your path. The radar has to be programmed to ignore this.

When you approach a stopped car, the radar will ignore it just like it ignores the retaining wall until the safety algorithms determine that a forward collision is likely, then it brakes. This occurs when the camera finally recognizes the shape of the back end of the car ahead, but that happens far too close for comfort.

Again, do not rely on AP/TACC to brake for stopped cars. The system isn't designed for that scenario.

Its a good point, Essentially what I understand from reading these posts, AutoPilot has a Looooong way to go before it learns all these . Essentially when MX/MS is following a moving CAR, It will STOP behind it normally at redlight , But if you just got behind a STOPPED car it wouldnt detect and possibly collision detection system would trigger and apply emergency brakes last minute (if collision detection is enabled) , Is my understanding right ?

By the way , I owned MS 2013 Feb and just traded for MX , waiting in Line for its arrival. Still dont have experience using AutoPilot..

100% right. AP2 was awful at this upon initial release, then did this extremely well until very recently. Now it is back to awful.

No, neither AP1 nor AP2 were ever stated to be able to do this. It's not a feature of the system. If AP2 exhibited something similar to this behavior in the past, that is simply a side effect of the programming and/or some of the safety systems being activated to avoid a forward collision. It is not a controlled, programmed action, and you cannot rely on it.

Stopped cars and other stationary objects are specifically excluded from the radar's detection algorithm because they would cause unnecessary slow downs and emergency braking, both of which are already a problem with AP2. Image that you are going around a freeway curve. The radar detects the concrete retaining wall that's straight ahead. The car isn't going to hit it because the road curves and you are turning away from the retaining wall. But to the radar, it looks exactly like a stationary object directly in your path. The radar has to be programmed to ignore this.

When you approach a stopped car, the radar will ignore it just like it ignores the retaining wall until the safety algorithms determine that a forward collision is likely, then it brakes. This occurs when the camera finally recognizes the shape of the back end of the car ahead, but that happens far too close for comfort.

Again, do not rely on AP/TACC to brake for stopped cars. The system isn't designed for that scenario.
While all of this might be true, it does not change the fact that my original comment is true. The TACC behavior has seriously regressed for stopped cars. It was *extremely* reliable for detecting stopped cars in a distance. Now it is not. These are just the facts.

Got 2017.28.c528869 today.
Did a 300 km highway trip now with fresh install. Feels really good, they fixed the auto lane change. Much nicer, less hesitant but comfortable and quick. (sorry, didn't bring the monkey to illustrate). Could be faster to start lane change after passing adjacent car i.e. use less safety distance.

Car does not hug left lane marker any more and seems quite centered.

Still some issues to fix:
- undulations in the road surface (e.g. Road rises above a water tunnel or similar) makes the car swerve. This is not comfortable at higher speeds and will be a huge trouble in slippery conditions.
- Phantom speed reductions for campers/truck/vans a few meters ahead in outside adjacent lane (in turns).
AP2 is more confident closer to speed limit. Not to comfortable doing +20km/h above speed limits if highway is twisting.
- Shows opposite lane as available for lane change but luckily can't change to it.

Had a few AP cancellations because of these issues. Not tried local roads or congested traffic.

DSC_1644.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I don't drive surface streets as much as the freeway. I normally do not use AP on surface streets. On the freeway I encounter stopped cars ALL THE TIME. My car stops just fine and moves again once the car in front of me continues.

Just to clarify, he means the system is not meant to brake when approaching stopped cars at high speed (40 mph+ especially) and should not be relied on for such.

A common example of such a scenario is driving 45mph on a local road with no leading cars, approaching a stoplight where cars are already stopped. AP is not completely safe to be trusted to cleanly brake into the line of stopped cars. AP often doesn't stop (even if it shows the cars on the display eventually), and even when it does, the car shown on display sometimes suddenly disappears when close and AP accelerates right into the back of the stopped car ahead.

Overall, the advice to everyone is don't wait to brake because you think AP will react. Please stay safe and consider this your responsibility.

Tried the new update a few more times in case time of day or weather might be impacting my experiences. Unfortunately my final verdict on this update is full regression from the prior version in every way that matters.

The lines show that the cameras are seeing perpetual earthquakes instead of solid and steady road. And this is when it can actually see road lines - its ability to detect road lines has been significantly diminished.

This is the first time I have experienced a regression here, so feeling a bit bummed out. But there will be more updates that hopefully put things back on track. Until then I'll stick with TACC and avoid auto steer completely.

Reactions: Aeg07046
Dozens of cars models that sell in the $30k range now have Adaptive Cruise Control that can do this. Tesla Is being left in the dust as its CEO turns his attention to the latest shiny objects.

I agree but welcome this shift. Fawking wing doors and lies about Stanford are all I want to hear from that guy. Spin your hype so the engineers have the money they need and see yourself out!

Interesting that some say better and some say worse. I've seen a few posts about how it takes a few miles to recalibrate or something after an update. Is this generally considered to be true?

Just got my update installed but won't be driving until tomorrow morning.