Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.13 550ee35 "Supercharging Option Not Enabled"

MarkS22

Apr 6, 2015
Morris County, NJ
So, I installed 2017.50.13 550ee35 and don't see anything different. (Was the "screen cleaning mode" there before on the settings?) There were no release notes.

When I returned to my car (which was plugged it), I saw an interesting message:

"Unable to Charge. Supercharging Option Not Enabled."

Now, I'm on my home (mobile charger) and it's still charging, so this appears to be a bug. However, I found it interesting to pop up a warning that there's a "Supercharging Option" cause could prevent the vehicle from charging.

Could this mean future Model 3 owners can opt-out of Supercharging? Or purchase a "Supercharging Option"? It's interesting that this appears immediately after upgrading while doing a normal charge. But the error was programmed in there for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde

Msjulie

Jun 26, 2016
Monterey Bay Area
I sure hope super charging still works - I'm taking my car on a road trip this Friday and it will be pretty sad to run out of charge cause of some software buglette

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
When I returned to my car (which was plugged it), I saw an interesting message:

"Unable to Charge. Supercharging Option Not Enabled."

Now, I'm on my home (mobile charger) and it's still charging, so this appears to be a bug. However, I found it interesting to pop up a warning that there's a "Supercharging Option" cause could prevent the vehicle from charging.

Could this mean future Model 3 owners can opt-out of Supercharging? Or purchase a "Supercharging Option"? It's interesting that this appears immediately after upgrading while doing a normal charge. But the error was programmed in there for some reason.

Or could it be the start of Tesla implementing what is necessary to prevent Supercharger abuse? (I.e. disable Supercharging on commercial vehicles that are abusing Superchargers.)

Reactions: MarkS22

MarkS22

Apr 6, 2015
Morris County, NJ
did you update while charging.. seems like a bug during the install

Yes, I’m always plugged in while updating. But I was on my home charger, not a Supercharger. I’m sure it was a bug, but that message is clearly hardcoded into the firmware. That’s what I found most interesting. What does “Supercharging option not enabled” suggest?

pjw65

Mar 19, 2016
Switzerland
did you update while charging.. seems like a bug during the install
Yes that's an old bug already seen on Model S. I would recommend to unplug during update.
Best you can do now is reboot your Tesla (don't know for Model 3 in S/X you have to press both scroll wheels and both up buttons until reboot happens). I recommend this after every software update.

MarkS22

Apr 6, 2015
Morris County, NJ
Yes that's an old bug already seen on Model S. I would recommend to unplug during update.
Best you can do now is reboot your Tesla (don't know for Model 3 in S/X you have to press both scroll wheels and both up buttons until reboot happens). I recommend this after every software update.

It disappeared after I unplugged and replugged. I’ve also since rebooted. Yes, it’s the same as the S/X with holding the steering buttons.

I did note that, unlike the S/X, turn signals do NOT work on the 3 while rebooting.

run-the-joules

Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
Dumb question but is this just rolled out at random? I'm on 50.12.

I don't think I've ever seen a plausible theory on how it's done.

I will note that the car has been basically pestering me to do the update though, I've gotten 3 push notifications to my phone since last night.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Dumb question but is this just rolled out at random? I'm on 50.12.

People who are at Service Centers generally get the newest update as part of their visit. There's a line on the invoice which will typically say "pushed to latest firmware", right below "filled up washer fluid". It's pretty cool that they can do something like that IMO :)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC