Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New GF#1 picture:
image-2017-07-06-at-5-36-am1.jpg

The factory that isn't a factory and doesn't exist is looking mighty busy these days.

My survey/inspection was done last week, still don't have a design or quote or anything like that. We need an SDG&E inspection of some kind of our panel and meter before they can finalize.

Thank you. Did they give a timeline? Also, any guesses for "sold out way into 2018" would be helpful.

The following is my Solar Roof forecast for the next four quarters based on Elon's "it'll be a very slow ramp up" comment and my very low gross margin expectations for the production until Gigafactory 2 ramps up (2019/20?).

upload_2017-7-6_17-57-16.png

Thank you. Did they give a timeline? Also, any guesses for "sold out way into 2018" would be helpful.

The following is my Solar Roof forecast for the next four quarters based on Elon's "it'll be a very slow ramp up" comment and my very low gross margin expectations for the production until Gigafactory 2 ramps up (2019/20?).

View attachment 234416
No, I didn't hear any good gossip. We are known to Tesla as early adopters, and in the right kind of area for them, so I'm not sure our experience would be typical anyway.

I made a post here back on December 2nd of 2016 and March 10th of 2017. I never post on here, but my first post on December 2 was due to the EXTREME negativity we were seeing, same with my re-post of that message on March 10 - EXTREME negativity. Coincidentally, the post on December 2 was the $180 low and the post on March 10 was the low of the correction the occurred after the run to $280.

Well...I'm here again...feel free to check my posting history for verification...but please...read below:

Longtime viewer of this forum (and others like it) chiming in here. Loving the extreme negativity that I've been seeing lately on here and just about everywhere else you could possibly look. Been following Tesla for almost a decade and I have to say, I don't think it has ever been like this in awhile.

I just want to extend my thanks to those who short the stock...

We wouldn't be here without you. You've funded this company's growth and I look forward to the future that you have helped create. Without the short squeezes that you perpetuated, that our wonderful CEO took advantage of, we wouldn't be here. Those billions of dollars of capital raises, at high share prices, that you helped support through your convictions against Tesla, provided the foundation for a company that will change the world over the next 20 years.

Without your bouts of panic, from $30 to $190, from $120 to $260, from $175 to $290, from $185 to $280, and from $135 to $270, Tesla would have billions of dollars less to build and fund their new production lines. Thank you for donating those funds to the cause.

As we stand now, with more than 30 million shares sold short, I thank you for once again proving that the market demand for shares of TSLA is far greater than the natural supply.

Sincerely,
A 6-Year Long Shareholder

And here is the follow up that is worth reading from 12/3/16 that I posted:

Also...

We should welcome people like Mark Spiegel, Australian Man, Montana Skeptic, and others who display and spread the most extreme doubt about Tesla. While a normal display and level of doubt will just end up keeping potential investors away, an EXTREME display or level of doubt brings new people into the game...the kind of people that have a hidden value to long investors...

Recently, Spiegel shared with us the way he sees Tesla and it's shareholders. During his presentation to a crowd of investors (who paid to listen to him), he discussed Tesla shareholders as lemmings. While most investors makes decisions based on facts and figures and results, a person like Spiegel shows us that he makes decisions based on emotions and feelings. For him to share that with us was a gift...a glimpse into the clouded mind of a short seller...consumed by emotion, feelings and absolute certainty.

I personally believe one of the most important traits in life is being able to admit that you may be wrong. A great many longs understand this. We understand that past or present results may not be indicative of future results. We understand the risks and accept them. In my mind, many results are a coin flip - maybe I'll be right, maybe I'll be wrong - there are no guarantees. Risk is a natural part of investing, absolute certainty is not.

In Tesla short sellers, we see that important trait missing.

As Mr. Spiegel said, he feels that Tesla is a Zero. He (and others) feel, with absolute certainty, that there is an impossible amount of obstacles in front of Tesla and they will not overcome them. His emotions tell him that he is absolutely correct and his feelings tell him that he can not be wrong. He believes that it is all but certain that Tesla will fail. He sees absolutely no path forward for Tesla. In his mind, the future of Tesla is already set in stone. He sees no risks in his investment decisions.

To ignore the possibility of being wrong, to ignore risk, Mr. Spiegel (and other short sellers) fall into the trap of letting emotions override logical thought. I'm glad I'm not part of any group that believes that they can not be wrong. To be part of that group, would require surrendering logic and common sense, in the belief that emotion will lead them down a better path.

To be involved in the shorting of Tesla is to be part of a group of people who cannot see risk because of their emotions.

And a wise man once said, "Only when you combine sound intellect with emotional discipline, do you get rational behavior."

Investor or speculator?

Right now my investment return is not positive. I expect this to be corrected in time to purchase the model 3 - a May 10th reservation date, so there is some time.

A friend told me to sell everything at $370, but I decided that I did not want to swing trade Tesla. It is an investment in people serving people. I don't know of a company I would rather invest in... Cash holdings are sort of a vote against people.

When my time comes, I may not be able to afford a Model 3, but Tesla stock is the right place for my money to be.

I'd also like to add something new, just some quick math that I think people forget about.

Dealerships exist because of the fantastic profits they make as middleman...otherwise they wouldn't exist. As a former court financial auditor, I can tell you that the average car salesmen make a lot of money. Given my investment in Tesla, I paid extra special attention to ANY financial information regarding people working at dealerships. In a city of a million people, every car salesman that came into court made at least $80,000.00 in a city where the average salary isn't even half that.

If you combined the value of GM's dealerships to GM, GM the company would be valued at a lot more than it is now.

Tesla is the manufacturer and the seller.

A proper comparison is not Tesla to GM, it is Tesla to GM and all its dealership partners. If you do that, you'd see that Tesla's value is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH lower than GM and its dealership's value.

I personally have lower expectations for Tesla. I don't need them becoming the next GM!

If Tesla can capture 0.75% of the 2017 Global Car Market in 2020, or just 2.9% of the 2017 US Car Market and 0% of the 2017 World Car Market in 2020, they will sell approximately 500,00 cars a year.

500,000 cars x $60,000 ASP = $30 Billion. If after all expenses and yada yada yada is taken into account, Tesla GAAP profits are equal to what GM makes on each car (WHICH IS A LOW-BALL BECAUSE GM IS STILL USING A DEALERSHIP MODEL), you'll have a company looking like this:

5+ years of at least 50% revenue growth, with high-end products sustaining 20%-25% margins, lower-end products sustaining 10%-15% margins, resulting in profits of approximately $3 Billion.

There are very few companies in this world that have billions of dollars of revenue and are growing that revenue at a rate of at least 50% a year, every year, with plans to grow up to 100% a year if all goes as planned.

If you apply a multiple of 30 to a company like that, which is low if you've followed markets over the years, you'd come to a $90 Billion valuation.

Tesla would still not be as valuable as GM and its dealerships. Not even close. Those dealerships aren't paying those $75,000 a year salesman with fun-coupons. And there are THOUSANDS of GM dealerships.

So, when it doubt, math and logic.

Stocks go up and down and change all the time. Simple math today is simple math tomorrow.

The demand question.. why it's silly to think there is some kind of demand issue:

1) the market for large luxury cars and SUVs both have a fairly set size. Assuming that you might think that Tesla had reached saturation with anywhere from 30-40% share in the US for the S. But that value is only the base, as 2013-2016 cars come off leases or are traded in for newer models the base will be enhanced by recurring orders, meaning if you can add 30,000 customers in 2016 in the US, you can add that many customers every year as a base. As those cars age, something like 90% will buy a Tesla again, so for the next few years at the least the total sales in the US will continue to go up based on the growth over the passes 3-5 years.
1.5) can't believe I forgot this. Tesla still can't sell in every state in the US. Huge markets are still not ideally serviced. This will change over the next year. This will help improve sales growth as some people won't but the car if they can't get service. Model 3 is forcing expansion of service and Supercharging, which benefits model S/X more then congestion at an individual Supercharger or service center. Let's not forget that shortchanging for model 3 will not be free, free Supercharging is 90% of the reason I go to a super charger. There expansion us making it infinitly more convenient. In Chicago there are a half a dozen Superchargers in a 20 mile radius. There used to only be 3 just a month ago.
2) I focused on the US and the model S first because it is the most mature market and a good example of what we should see world wide. There are places where the S has just started selling, like UAE, South Korea which are not small car markets. There are also outliers like Norway where they are moving completely to electric and Tesla has the only car in the class which would give it more like 90% market share. All of the less mature markets will continue to grow and those cars will eventually roll over to new models.
3) model X had just recently got normal production levels, aside from the recent 100KWh battery production issue. This entire brand has realistically only 1.5 years in the market. Tesla didn't even have test drive and show room cars in all stores until recently. How do you grow in a market with out being able to manufacture even enough cars for demo? The answer is that this market is really only in ours infancy in the US and had much larger prospects world wide. In 1.5 years the X in the US will be in a similar place the S is today only the base market for large luxury SUVs is about 2-3 times the size for their large luxury car cousins. I don't believe the X will capture 40% if the market like the S but I could see 30% from the current penetration of approx. 10%.
4) model 3 could be eating into to some of that model S demand, but that pressure will flip when the 3 hits the streets in mass and tax credits start to pass out. If you didn't reserve day one, you won't get the full tax credit, period. This will drive massive demand in the US for model S which will be available and I have theorized that Tesla will pull some levers to rachet up production in anticipation. I believe this group of people are those that could not afford an S but last year would have found a way to get it, saved up or cut expenses to fit the S in their budgets. Don't underestimate the size of this group. They will eventually be model 3 customers and anyone who loves Tesla enough to give to lattes and movie channels for are going to be great long term customers that will eventually but an S/X. The issue is that has inflated the base above but should only be a tiny fraction of that base, maybe 5% or 1500 model S per year going forward. People uprating to the new model after their lease or after the first 5 years should more then compensate going forward. Next year alone 5K should be in this group every quarter. Base + turnover next year should go from 30k - 1500 + 16k (90% of 5k/Q from 2015) = 36k or 20% increase over 2016. There could be a plateau in the US in 2019, but the rest of the world will just be maturing and turnover will just be getting started in ernest so sales for S should continue to grow into 2020 world wide.
5) model X should lag model S by a year or so. Only a year because it had the advantages of piggy backing on the groundwork of model S expansion. Supercharging maturity, more stores compared to the same point in the cycle for the S.
6) exposure to model 3 will help bolster the brand more then the vampire effect on S sales noted above. I see the model Y being a bigger drag on model X but only because the small SUV is so popular and the market size so large. With battery costs coming down so quickly, the Y hitting the market in mass in 2020 should end many competitors ability to stay afloat. 2020 is also when model X will finally have full market penetration so it's good timing for mass production of the Y to contribute to growth. If you are Tesla and you're going to lose sales, lose them to Tesla.

This supposed demand issue is silly, just apply some basic logic and simple math. Tesla still has room to grow everywhere.

Tesla Model S Crushes Large Luxury Car Competition (H1 2017 US Sales)

View attachment 234416

Revised to reflect an exponential ramp up rather than linear.

upload_2017-7-6_19-43-28.png

Status
Not open for further replies.