TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Closed

My projection for Powerpack installations for the next four quarters. Feedback welcome.

upload_2017-7-6_12-16-47.png

2. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Closed

My estimates are very close to yours. I'm slightly on the pessimistic side due to lower revenue estimate due to lower TE estimates.

3. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

Exactly. As long as car insurance is required in every state, insurance companies will find a way to price their offerings to ensure profitability. Car insurance is a gravy train. They really only seem to take a hit with major disasters, but they've gotten a lot better in the last 20 years with assessing and appropriately pricing those risks and avoiding the kinds of hits they took with Hurricane Andrew.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. SwTslaGrl

SwTslaGrl Member

The U.S. Dollar Index (DXY) is down -6.37% YTD. This could increase Tesla ex-US sales profit.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  5. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

How then did a 2017 Toyota Avalon in its 5th year of production before a complete redesign in 2019 pass?

The 2012 Camry built on the same platform as the 2017 Toyota Avalon failed the IIHS front overlap test.

There are tradeoffs. IIHS standard requires a much tighter seat belt that reduces the chances of a head injury but increases the chance of broken ribs in an accident. Tesla engineers, obviously, felt reducing the chances of head injury from very low to lower while at the same time increasing the chances of broken ribs substantially was not worth it.

• Informative x 4
  6. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

There are two ways IIHS gets cars to test. 1) They buy some of the most popular cars in the US to test. 2) Automakers donate their cars to IIHS to test. MB and BMW did not donate S Class or 7 Series and IIHS did not buy them because their sales are not substantial enough in the US.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

My feedback would be: Interesting, but nothing to base a decision on, because it is conjecture. You have no company guidance, no historical statistics to extrapolate, nothing to base this on. It's as good a guess as any, but it is hard to call it anything more than a guess. Not a bad guess, but a guess nonetheless.

• Helpful x 1
  8. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Closed

I agree, except that Elon guided a "dramatic ramp-up" in storage later this year and I'm using slightly conservative than last quarter's gross margin.

I agree that there is not much to base TE projections on, so readers should be aware of that caveat. Thanks for pointing it out.

9. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

Another way to look at this IIHS mess .. My understanding is that Tesla came in 3rd in the one test (offset test) and first in the rest. This one test is responsible for 25% of injuries to drivers per IIHS. So worst case, Tesla is the safest car 75% of the time and only the 3rd safest car the other 25% of the time, making it almost impossible for another car to be more safe in the real world. Its not like you are 100% guaranteed to die because you came in 3rd out of hundreds of brands/models? I am also sure that your likely hood of being injured in the other situation isn't just marginally better then the competition, but dramatically. Like the guy who went off the road down a 300ft embankment.

So the Model S is still the safest car in the world.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 3
  10. elasalle

elasalle driVIN(188xx) it !!

BTW, hope EM doesn't tweet he will give update on SN1 by tomorrow - else might not get into bed on time :)

• Funny x 2
  11. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

But didn't you hear? Model S is having demand issues and Tesla doesn't make enough money to donate cars eye rolls*

12. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

New GF#1 picture:
    [​IMG]
    and I particularly like this picture showing the current as a portion of the final version:

[​IMG]

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 7
  13. Matias

Matias Active Member

Ok. This is in the top three of the most stupid conspiracy theories i've read on the TMC and that is quite an achievement.

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Love x 1
  14. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

So crazy question, but where is the parking in the final version?

i

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  15. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

At the other end of the tunnel/ rail line?
    If employees scale with area, I sure wouldn't want to drive to work....

• Like x 1
  16. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Maybe robots don't need parking, or maybe Tesla network will move all the people...

17. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

That looks like a building that is badly in need of parking garageS.

Besides the benefit of parking somewhere other than the top deck (parking in the shade!)

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

At least most of the employees are from the area, so they aren't accustomed to parking under a nice broad oak tree all summer.

• Like x 1
  19. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Has anyone seen a post from @TrendTrader007 recently?

I am curious about his charting as to where he sees TSLA going, and frankly, to make sure he is OK.

• Love x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  20. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

I see one more attempt to break down the SP before close. Hopefully it fails. Would like to go into AH/tomorrow on an uptick.

• Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.